Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Yoko Avid H4S ??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2004, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yoko Avid H4S ??

a local tire shop by me is selling Yokohoma all season tires (Avid H4S) and they are a resonable price ($109). Does anyone have experience with these or know of their quality/treadlife/winter and dry traction?

Neal - are these decent all season tires?

thanks for the help everyone

FYI - I live in MA and commute up and down hills (steep hills) 40 miles each way and the road to my house is very winding.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not the best tire for an EVO. Its under speed rated for that car. Need at least a V rated, the Yoko is an H rated. Binded by policy, I couldn't even sell that tire for the EVO.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surprised the tire place will even sell you those tires considering the top speed of the Evo is higher than that tire is designed for being H speed rated.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
Not the best tire for an EVO. Its under speed rated for that car. Need at least a V rated, the Yoko is an H rated. Binded by policy, I couldn't even sell that tire for the EVO.
awesome! thanks for the info.... i thought it was too good to be true.

i know you've been asked probably a thousand times, but where i drive there is a lot of ice and snow that quickly gets packed inside tire tread. Is a studless ice and snow tire necessary? Overall, what would be the best winter tire for me? Like i said, i drive a lot of hills but still like to take highway on and off ramps a little faster than i should

thanks Neal
Old Oct 20, 2004, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Neal@tirerack,

I just went to tire rack website and did the winter tire package deals. When I pulled up the winter tires (for the OEM wheels) this is what I found:

Link: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...&performance=W

Please forgive me if I am wrong but the tire ratings given have an H, V and Q rating. So, that would imply to me that these ratings are fine for the Evo8 since the website is providing these as acceptable winter tires.

I am a Mass. resident and I am looking for a good set of winter tires to put on the original wheels of the Evo8. I need to purchase these within the next month. I had a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks before on another car (FWD) and they were awesome in the winter. I was thinking of going with that brand again, but they are H and Q rated. So I am not sure by what you said in above posts if they are acceptable for the EVO. Perhaps you could clear up the difference between the two Blizzaks while also explaining the tire rating system. I would also like your professional recommendation of a winter tire that would be suitable for the winters we have here in N.E.

Sorry for the long response, don't mean to hijack if I am considered doing so. Just another New Englander trying to gear up for crappy winter

-Ty