Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Springs for MR?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Springs for MR?

Ok, I decided to drop my car and chose which springs to get... but then will regular evo springs fit MR's?? I know MR's have billstein dampers, but what about the springs?? Any one tried springs on their mr's yet??
I'm stuck now...
Old Nov 7, 2004, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seen HKS Kansai is making them for the MR now ! Might try them.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't even do it to a MR. If I did (which I wouldn't) I would get the best money can buy or just go full coils.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

Why would you want to lower your MR? The fact that you are asking about springs wihtout inquiring about spring rates and not a full setup scares me. I usually hear these requests from Honda owners. Quite frankly, it's your car, so do what you wish with it, but if looks are all you are interested in, be careful how low you go. The under body air dam is not very forgiving on low dips. Hell, just slap on some 22" spinners and call it a day.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Why would you not want to lower an MR? Use progressive springs with the same initial spring rate as stock. The identical spring rate will maintain a near stock like ride, while the increasing stiffness will make sure you don't hit the bump stop now that the overall spring travel is shortened. The advantage is lower CG and thus less roll / better handling in turns. With the stock setup the Evo has a larger fender gap in the front than the rear, so most available springs drop more front than rear to account for that.

Coilovers are nice, but they are expensive - if you don't track or autocross your car on a regular basis then there is no need to drop $2k on a coilover setup (even if you do race non-competitively it isn't required). The lowering springs will give better aerodynamics too, since less air is going under the car and lifting it (improves high speed stability and gas milage somewhat).

And yes, it looks nice too, and that's no reason to bash up on "newbies" and ridicule them for asking a completely legitimate question. I have not done a whole lot of research on MR springs yet, but you might want to look into Hotchkis (they may not have one for the MR yet though) - they put a lot of testing into their setups, and if you pair the spring set with your Bilsteins and a Hotchkis rear sway bar you will get very noticeable improvements in handling for half (or less) the cost of a full coilover setup.

Last edited by voidhawk; Nov 10, 2004 at 07:55 AM. Reason: spacing
Old Nov 10, 2004, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by voidhawk
Why would you not want to lower an MR? Use progressive springs with the same initial spring rate as stock. The identical spring rate will maintain a near stock like ride, while the increasing stiffness will make sure you don't hit the bump stop now that the overall spring travel is shortened. The advantage is lower CG and thus less roll / better handling in turns. With the stock setup the Evo has a larger fender gap in the front than the rear, so most available springs drop more front than rear to account for that.

Coilovers are nice, but they are expensive - if you don't track or autocross your car on a regular basis then there is no need to drop $2k on a coilover setup (even if you do race non-competitively it isn't required). The lowering springs will give better aerodynamics too, since less air is going under the car and lifting it (improves high speed stability and gas milage somewhat).

And yes, it looks nice too, and that's no reason to bash up on "newbies" and ridicule them for asking a completely legitimate question. I have not done a whole lot of research on MR springs yet, but you might want to look into Hotchkis (they may not have one for the MR yet though) - they put a lot of testing into their setups, and if you pair the spring set with your Bilsteins and a Hotchkis rear sway bar you will get very noticeable improvements in handling for half (or less) the cost of a full coilover setup.
I do agree with most of what you said but that is only scratching the surface. To counter that, for the time being none of us know the exact spring rates of the US MR. Progressive spring rates are not going to gaurantee that you are not going to hit the bump stops and destroy/damage your bilsteins in the process ($$). By the time the spring rate gets high enough due to compression you may already be hitting the bump stop. On the other hand Mitsu has spent a lot of time and effort to match them perfectly, which means if you lower the car you may loose grip because the shocks may not be able to bound and rebound according to the road surface. So although you are getting initial better handing you may be getting lower skid-pad nos. Plus if you lower the car more in the front you are changing the weight distribution between front and rear, there by changing suspension geometry. Most likely inducing more understeer to an already well balanced car.... It takes a lot of trial and error test to get a car to handle just the way you want it after you lower it. Not to mention you will have to get the car realigned.... I hate dealing with suspension that is why I want an MR. Been there done that crap .... If you still want to lower it after all this, you may have been better off with a regular EVO and buying coilovers.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mybada
Ok, I decided to drop my car and chose which springs to get... but then will regular evo springs fit MR's?? I know MR's have billstein dampers, but what about the springs?? Any one tried springs on their mr's yet??
I'm stuck now...
Try calling eibach springs or other lowering springs manufacturer/distributor for tech help.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
I do agree with most of what you said but that is only scratching the surface. To counter that, for the time being none of us know the exact spring rates of the US MR. Progressive spring rates are not going to gaurantee that you are not going to hit the bump stops and destroy/damage your bilsteins in the process ($$). By the time the spring rate gets high enough due to compression you may already be hitting the bump stop. On the other hand Mitsu has spent a lot of time and effort to match them perfectly, which means if you lower the car you may loose grip because the shocks may not be able to bound and rebound according to the road surface. So although you are getting initial better handing you may be getting lower skid-pad nos. Plus if you lower the car more in the front you are changing the weight distribution between front and rear, there by changing suspension geometry. Most likely inducing more understeer to an already well balanced car.... It takes a lot of trial and error test to get a car to handle just the way you want it after you lower it. Not to mention you will have to get the car realigned.... I hate dealing with suspension that is why I want an MR. Been there done that crap .... If you still want to lower it after all this, you may have been better off with a regular EVO and buying coilovers.
Well put. As an avvid autocrosser and my recent track day with the MR, I found suspension setup to be quite frankly perfect in every way. I would not touch my MR suspension unless mitsu came out with a better setup.

Keep in mind this is a car that was tested heavily at the track in germany. I did not see any compromise in the way that the MR handled stock.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 08:56 AM

yeah. i believe the stock ride height is pretty much close to best for an MR. plus you don't want to deal with any clearance issues during daily driving.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

To each their own - it depends on what you are used to, what your driving style is, and how much you are willing to compromise other factors to achieve what you are after. I too love the way the MR rides for daily driving, but for performance driving it warrants improvement IMO. Having gotten used to pounding my celica around the track (which admittedly did have full coilovers, sways, corner-balance, etc.), the MR feels too high of the ground / rolls too much for my taste. Bilstein or not, you can tell mitsu made compromises to achieve that daily drivability.

Does it take careful consideration, tuning, alignment, etc to put together a good suspension? Of course it does. Is the MR so perfect out of the box that it couldn't be improved without dropping 2k+ on coilovers - again in IMO I don't think so. It sounded like the original poster wanted to achieve a lower stance without sacrificing too much daily drivability, so I offered some information on how that may be achieved. I used progressive rate H&R springs on my celica (before I started racing it seriously) and achieved improve handling without sacrificing daily drivability, so I figured I'd share that experience and give people another option to consider.

Last edited by voidhawk; Nov 10, 2004 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

I want to lower my car mostly for the look.... I know suspension set up for MR is pretty tight (credit for bilstein) so I emailed tein to find about fitment and spring rate, and this is what I got ........................ hm........................

To whom it may concern,
Hello and thank you for your interest in TEIN High Performance Suspension. Unfortunately we have not test fitted on the MR model yet and so we do not know if the suspension design has changed. At this time we can not confirm if the springs will or will not fit. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.
Best regards,
Sales
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kansai springs F drop -35 ~ 40MM 4.9K spring rate R drop -25 ~ 30 MM drop spring rate 5.8 K , here's link with pics of drop.

http://www.kansaiss.co.jp/parts/ksm055.htm
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by voidhawk
To each their own - it depends on what you are used to, what your driving style is, and how much you are willing to compromise other factors to achieve what you are after. I too love the way the MR rides for daily driving, but for performance driving it warrants improvement IMO. Having gotten used to pounding my celica around the track (which admittedly did have full coilovers, sways, corner-balance, etc.), the MR feels too high of the ground / rolls too much for my taste. Bilstein or not, you can tell mitsu made compromises to achieve that daily drivability.

Does it take careful consideration, tuning, alignment, etc to put together a good suspension? Of course it does. Is the MR so perfect out of the box that it couldn't be improved without dropping 2k+ on coilovers - again in IMO I don't think so. It sounded like the original poster wanted to achieve a lower stance without sacrificing too much daily drivability, so I offered some information on how that may be achieved. I used progressive rate H&R springs on my celica (before I started racing it seriously) and achieved improve handling without sacrificing daily drivability, so I figured I'd share that experience and give people another option to consider.
"Feels too high off the ground?" Too much roll?

Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by value
Kansai springs F drop -35 ~ 40MM 4.9K spring rate R drop -25 ~ 30 MM drop spring rate 5.8 K , here's link with pics of drop.

http://www.kansaiss.co.jp/parts/ksm055.htm
Oh!! they have one for MR already!!
Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RonV
"Feels too high off the ground?" Too much roll?
I don't know how else to describe it - maybe it's just that I don't quite trust the car yet, but I find the MR less predictable at the driving limits than my celica was, and since I sat pretty much on the floor pan in that car the MR just feels high to me

Quick Reply: Springs for MR?