Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Read Below First ~ Which Winter Tire?
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2
20.00%
Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S
50.00%
Toyo Proxes 4
10.00%
Turanza LS-Z w/UNI-T AQII
10.00%
Yokohama AVS dB S2
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Needed Advice for Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2004, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needed Advice for Winter Tires

I'm trying to purchase a set of tires for my EVO and it's almost like trying to buy x-mas presents for everyone. There's 100's of good products but you just can't find the one that fits.

I have looked though other post but I'm just not impressed with the tiers or reviews.

I drive 45 miles each way to work. 42 miles on the freeway and 3 miles on side streets. We deal with black ice a few times though season and the first 2 years I was here there was maybe 1/4" of snow. Last year though we had around 6" of ice. Pertty much we had a layer ice, snow on top of the ice, freezing rain on the snow, and an ice storm. All in a few hours and the ground was ice for 3+ days.

I could really care about the ice storm because if it happeneds again I will proable stay home but I know I need something that can handle some ice. Oh and it rains here about 96 days starting in Nov. - March.

I need some help. I'm down to these tires and need some advice. Price is not an issue.

Last edited by MysticMyth; Nov 10, 2004 at 09:23 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. Got them put on today. The razor edge I had with the Advans is gone, but it still grips pretty good in the turn. It's definitely a smoother and quieter ride.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

If price is not an issue then it should easy for you depending on what conditions you want the tires for. I wish I had that luxury
Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:31 AM

Price is not an issue but I've never ran any of these tires and I wanna keep good traction in the rain and have some control in the ice.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 02:27 PM

Ok! Lets try this...Anyone in OR, or WA what will you be running this winter?
Old Nov 10, 2004, 02:38 PM

I am being brave and am probably gonna stick with the Advans. I cant afford new wheels and tires and really hate having to mess with mounting and unmounting winter tires. I kept summer tires on my Miata all year round and was just fine...

At least we have AWD...

If you are in or around Salem and want to take a drive sometime PM me...

Later

JT

Last edited by JT_EVO8; Nov 10, 2004 at 03:59 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Pirelli and Yokohama are performance all season based tires. They work well in very light to moderate snow climates. The Pirelli is better than the Yokohama in snow by far. Both aren't bad tires but really wont give you the bite like a dedicated snow tire if you see a lot of snow or ice.

The Turanza LS-Z is a touring all season based tire. The UNI-T compound will make the tire almost adhere to wet surfaces. This makes Bridgestone's some of the best tires for wet traction. The all season traction will be a bit better than the performance all season tires, but your handling will sacrifice to get better ride, life, and snow traction. Might not be the best tire for a performance car like the EVO.

The Pilot Alpin PA-2 will provide the best snow traction and is one of the top for handling in its class. It would handle better than the Turanza's, but not as well as the Pirelli or Yoko. Nothing will be as good in the snow/ice as the Pilot, but you will sacrifice tread wear and some handling to get it.

Personal opinion... I'd go with the Michelin. If there's a possibility of those conditions (accumulated ice and snow for longer periods of time) and you do that much driving, a dedicated snow would be best. I would rather sacrifice some handling and be overly prepared for the worst rather than be stuck 1/2 way home cause I went with an all season tire. I have a very similar commute and used all seasons myself. Once I tried a winter tire I never went back.

Old Nov 10, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by MysticMyth
I used the Pirelli M&S last winter. They were great in the small ammount of snow we had. I was able to commute between Gresham and Beaverton for work without too much concern. I actually chose them for the all season weather we have in the northwest, and they have turned out to be great ultra high performance all-season tires. However, im not an Evo driver :|
Old Nov 10, 2004, 04:38 PM

Neal, Thanks for the information. I'll be making a purchase with you guys soon.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MysticMyth
I will be running the Kumho MX's, but they are a max summer tire. If it snows, I don't drive. I think a good set of all season tires would work fine. If you like to go up into the mountains then winter tires are the best.

BTW, DO NOT drive with Advans in the snow. I attempted this last year and got down the street before I was sliding out of control off the road.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

So i want a good set of snow tires that will last at least 2 seasons or more. i go through ice rain and snow. sometimes little sometimes alot in wv. Some 1 let me kno what they recommend and my price range is just something half way decent!
Old Dec 5, 2004, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

hey i am from oregon and have close to the same question. thanks for the tips. i dont have anything but my advans yet, but my commute to work in under 1 mile, and i walk if it isnt pooring down rain.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

^ i dont have to worry as much about it though, cause i deal with rain more than anything on the coast. i only see ice/snow when i drive over the mountain.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey there I'm from Oregon.

If I could afford winter tires, I would get Nokian WR. They are true 4-season tires (they even have the snowflake symbol). Jim Bacon tires in Oregon sells them. Dunno where else. I am using my Kumho MX's which seem to do great in rain. I had summer tires on my BMW in germany for 2 years in the snow without trouble, and last year during that huge ice storm I kept the advans on & drove to work every day without trouble. I just avoided steep inclines.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 04:03 PM

I live in colorado, i'm running some 245/40/18 Kuhmo ASX's they have been pretty good so far. Also have heard really good things about the Continental Extremes from all the suby guys

Quick Reply: Needed Advice for Winter Tires