Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2004, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man those are so nice. Its a toss up between the Weapons or 57s's for me.

I like the spoke design a little bit more on the Weapons. I just wish they were available in silver. Plus I wonder if discount tire can get the 5x100 in 38 offset since they only show 48 on their site. A-Tech's website shows them also in 38mm.

Either way the 57s is available in the color I want (silver) and in the offset that will fit (40mm).

Evo8Ra, be sure to post up some more pics of the wheels on the car.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo77
Will do. I have to drive about 20 hours between Tuesday morning and Wednesday evening. I should be able to clean up the car and take pictures to post on Thursday when I return.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8RA
Will do. I have to drive about 20 hours between Tuesday morning and Wednesday evening. I should be able to clean up the car and take pictures to post on Thursday when I return.
Awesome...thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2004, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

I installed my Hotchkis springs on Friday and they are awesome. The ride is slightly softer than stock (I mean less bounciness over rough asphalt). The handling is similar to stock and I found it a bit more difficult to do a 180 degree powerslide so they definately control the body roll more. And the look is superb, not too low to scrape normal speed bumps.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo77
Well folks, here are the wheels on the car. To recap, they are MB Motorsports Weapon 17x9 +27 in gunmetal finish from Discount Tire. I paid $120 each for the wheels at my local Discount retailer. Tires are 255/40/17 BFG g-force TA KDW2, also from Discount. I tried unsuccessfully to find a printout of my wheel alignment for reference, but I had the alignment set a few months ago to maximize tire life, by trying to get toe and camber set close to zero. You can see in the pictures that the tires are close to straight up with camber more on the side of positive than negative.

Obviously, the car will look much better lowered an inch all around. Once I install my coilovers in a month or so, I'll set camber at about 1 deg. negative for the street, which will make the tires fit the fenders even better. They certainly won't rub against the struts. You can see from the under fender pics, that there is approaching 1" of strut-to-tire clearance both front and rear. There is no rub problem on top of the front tires with outside edge of front fender. The top of the rear tires won't rub for street use, but would probably rub for autocross. With two adults in the front and one in the rear, the tires were not even close to rubbing after driving around on the street and accelerating quickly, so I have christened these tires fit for street use without fender rolling. If you want to autocross the car, I would roll the rear fender edges.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the back of the front tires only slightly contact the rear of the fender liner, and this ONLY occurs at the extreme end of wheel lock. If you hear it scuff, you can move the steering wheel an inch or two, and the problem is gone. I think these wheels are a great "poor-boy" wheel upgrade alternative. I also ordered some black-anodized lug nuts, but it will be a few weeks before they arrive. The next step is to get the taillights and headlights blacked-out, MR-style to complete the updated appearance.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-left-side.jpg   New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-right-side.jpg   New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-side-rear.jpg   New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-side-front.jpg   New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-new-tires.jpg  

Last edited by Evo8RA; Nov 26, 2004 at 04:40 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

More pics:
Attached Thumbnails New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-front-wheel.jpg   New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-rear-wheel.jpg   New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-front-strut-clearance.jpg   New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-rear-strut-clearance.jpg   New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-rear-fender-edge.jpg  

Old Nov 26, 2004, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

I really like the wheels and the car looks great. Note: I should never hear of you having any traction problems. that second pic looks cool as hell. those tires look really great. How much where the tires a piece. J/w. definatly get that thing lower a tid bit. it'll really look great then. good luck.

-CHad-
Old Nov 26, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostfed
I really like the wheels and the car looks great. Note: I should never hear of you having any traction problems. that second pic looks cool as hell. those tires look really great. How much where the tires a piece. J/w. definatly get that thing lower a tid bit. it'll really look great then. good luck.

-CHad-
Including shipping, mounting, balancing, warranty and tax, the tires were $190 each. I would have purchased the less expensive Kumho 711, but Discount said they wouldn't be off the ship from Japan for a few weeks and I needed tires immediately. Here's what was left of my A046's with 17,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-old-tires.jpg  

Last edited by Evo8RA; Nov 26, 2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

can you get a phone # for me so i can order thoes wheels because i have no local discount tire store

Jeremy
Old Nov 26, 2004, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GOT EVO
can you get a phone # for me so i can order thoes wheels because i have no local discount tire store

Jeremy
I suppose you have two choices.
1. Have the nearest Discount Tire store in Indiana order them and drive an hour or two to pick them up.

http://dt.know-where.com/DiscountTire/

2. or, order them from Discount Tire Direct (800-589-6789) and have them shipped to your door (with or without tires mounted/balanced),

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=9&bp=5-114.3

Good luck,
Old Nov 26, 2004, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Very sweet Evo8RA! They look hot!

I may have to reconsider my next wheel choice now....
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone with pics of the bronze with a WW?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo8RA
Well folks, here are the wheels on the car. To recap, they are MB Motorsports Weapon 17x9 +27 in gunmetal finish from Discount Tire. I paid $120 each for the wheels at my local Discount retailer. Tires are 255/40/17 BFG g-force TA KDW2, also from Discount. I tried unsuccessfully to find a printout of my wheel alignment for reference, but I had the alignment set a few months ago to maximize tire life, by trying to get toe and camber set close to zero. You can see in the pictures that the tires are close to straight up with camber more on the side of positive than negative.

Obviously, the car will look much better lowered an inch all around. Once I install my coilovers in a month or so, I'll set camber at about 1 deg. negative for the street, which will make the tires fit the fenders even better. They certainly won't rub against the struts. You can see from the under fender pics, that there is approaching 1" of strut-to-tire clearance both front and rear. There is no rub problem on top of the front tires with outside edge of front fender. The top of the rear tires won't rub for street use, but would probably rub for autocross. With two adults in the front and one in the rear, the tires were not even close to rubbing after driving around on the street and accelerating quickly, so I have christened these tires fit for street use without fender rolling. If you want to autocross the car, I would roll the rear fender edges.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the back of the front tires only slightly contact the rear of the fender liner, and this ONLY occurs at the extreme end of wheel lock. If you hear it scuff, you can move the steering wheel an inch or two, and the problem is gone. I think these wheels are a great "poor-boy" wheel upgrade alternative. I also ordered some black-anodized lug nuts, but it will be a few weeks before they arrive. The next step is to get the taillights and headlights blacked-out, MR-style to complete the updated appearance.

Mark
Looks good Mark! I saw them at the Turbo Trix Dyno Day. Thinking about ordering them myself.