Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2004, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW

Hey, I started a new thread with some better pictures. I love the way that it looks. I only got 2 center caps, so there are 2 on one side and none on the other. I am going out right now to pop the 2 off that I have on there.

Old Nov 12, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good! How do you like the hotchkis springs? Im going to get a set of springs in the spring and im not sure what kind to get.

What size are the weapons? 17x8.5?
Old Nov 12, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

love the springs, I would recommend them to anyone, and they are 17x8, they only come that way and 17x9 in a 17 inch rim, then there are 18s
Old Nov 12, 2004, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Looks great! Can you elaborate on the springs...? I have a set sitting in my closet now, BEGGING to be installed, but dont have the time.... thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

what are thoes wheels and where did you get them. i havent seen them yet
Old Nov 12, 2004, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice wheels

Originally Posted by idriveawhiteevo
love the springs, I would recommend them to anyone, and they are 17x8, they only come that way and 17x9 in a 17 inch rim, then there are 18s
Your wheels look great. After seeing your other pics yesterday, I ordered the 17x9 Weapons and some 255/40 BFG gforce KDW2 for daily to-and-from work driving. I'll get them installed in about a week when I get back home.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GOT EVO
what are thoes wheels and where did you get them. i havent seen them yet
They are the MB Motorsports Weapons (near replicas of Gramlight 57s) and are available at Discount Tire. My local guy discounted the 17x9 +27 gunmetal versions to $120 each. Great deal on a great wheel.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo8RA
They are the MB Motorsports Weapons (near replicas of Gramlight 57s) and are available at Discount Tire. My local guy discounted the 17x9 +27 gunmetal versions to $120 each. Great deal on a great wheel.

what kinda weight im looking for a good 17x9 auto-x wheel
Old Nov 12, 2004, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

I am dying to know how the 17x9 fits. The guy at discount told me they would stick out too far. Let me know.

As far as the Hotchkis springs, get them out of your damned closet and put them on. You will love them. No evo should sit at factory ride height, its almost criminal.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

what kinda weight im looking for a good 17x9 auto-x wheel
Good question. I can weigh mine on 11/20 for you when I get back home, unless someone else can do it sooner. I'm sure the real Gramlight 57s is quite a bit lighter for your autocross needs, but probably cost $1100-1300 depending on 8.5 or 9.5 width. I'm not sure they are available in 17x9" width. Here's a link: http://www.gruppe-s.com/Volk/gram_evo.htm

You can also send a PM to BPAuto for a quote.

I know weight is important to you for autocross.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by idriveawhiteevo
I am dying to know how the 17x9 fits. The guy at discount told me they would stick out too far. Let me know.
My fenders are all stock, so I'll post some pictures once I have everything mounted.

Edit: Check out this link for pics of the real Gramlight 57s wheels:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...highlight=17x9

Not much of a difference, if you don't need the weight savings.

Last edited by Evo8RA; Nov 12, 2004 at 07:24 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Good question. I can weigh mine on 11/20 for you when I get back home, unless someone else can do it sooner. I'm sure the real Gramlight 57s is quite a bit lighter for your autocross needs, but probably cost $1100-1300 depending on 8.5 or 9.5 width. I'm not sure they are available in 17x9" width. Here's a link: http://www.gruppe-s.com/Volk/gram_evo.htm

You can also send a PM to BPAuto for a quote.

I know weight is important to you for autocross.
Well, I attempted to get my 17x9 +27 Weapon wheels installed today. Unfortunately one of the four wheels delivered to the local Discount Tire was bronze rather than gunmetal. The fourth gunmetal wheel should arrive on Monday along with some black anodized lug nuts. Included in the box with each wheel is a black-anodized, bolt-in, aluminum valve stem if you want to use it.

We did trial-fit two of the gunmetals as it was getting dark, so I could get some measurements. The 17x9 +27 Weapon wheel weighs 20lbs, backspace is 6", which of course leads to plenty of caliper, strut and tie rod clearance, but cuts things reaaaaallly close with the fender edge and the 255/40 tire. A 17x9 +38 or +35, would be a much better fitting wheel (like the FN01R-C), but I prefer the Weapon look (just me ). There is a minimum of 3/4" clearance at all points between wheel and caliper and almost an inch between inner tire and front strut. I'll have some pictures of the tire fit close to the fender edges in a few days once I get everything installed.

The BFG g-force TA KDW2 is an aggressive looking tread design in 255/40/17 and a great choice. When turning the front wheels to extreme lock, left and right, the extreme edges of the tires just barely clear the forward side of the fender liner and very lightly scuff the back side of the fender liner. I know some people have used 265/40 and 275/40, but I think these would probably make contact with the fender liner and require modifying or removing it. The 255/40 wheel/tire combo will work perfectly for me, give's the car a wide fat look, but it's going to be very close in the rear with the +27 offset without rolling the fender edges. I'll see and report in a few days.

Last edited by Evo8RA; Nov 21, 2004 at 11:37 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Well, I attempted to get my 17x9 +27 Weapon wheels installed today. Unfortunately one of the four wheels delivered to the local Discount Tire was bronze rather than gunmetal. The fourth gunmetal wheel should arrive on Monday along with some black anodized lug nuts. Included in the box with each wheel is a black-anodized, bolt-in, aluminum valve stem if you want to use it.

We did trial-fit two of the gunmetals as it was getting dark, so I could get some measurements. The 17x9 +27 Weapon wheel weighs 20lbs, backspace is 6", which of course leads to plenty of caliper, strut and tie rod clearance, but cuts things reaaaaallly close with the fender edge and 255/40. A 17x9 +38 or +35, would be a much better fitting wheel, but I sure prefer the Weapon look (just me ). There is a minimum of 3/4" clearance at all points between wheel and caliper and almost an inch between inner tire and front strut. I'll have some pictures of the tire fit close to the fender edges in a few days once I get everything installed.

The BFG g-force TA KDW2 is an aggressive looking tread design in 255/40/17 and a great choice. When turning the front wheels to extreme lock, left and right, the extreme edges of the tires just barely clear the forward side of the fender liner and very lightly scuff the back side of the fender liner. I know some people have used 265/40 and 275/40, but I think these would probably make contact with the fender liner and require modifying or removing it. The 255/40 wheel/tire combo will work perfectly for me, give's the car a wide fat look, but it's going to be very close in the rear with the +27 offset without rolling the fender edges. I'll see and report in a few days.

pics!!!
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

pics!!!
The most important pictures, viewing down the side of the car were terrible in the rainy night light. I'll post comparison pictures with stock vs Weapon wheel/tire combo on Thursday when I have everything installed and get back from a trip to Houston. Here are a few of the close-ups I took last night of the wheels before mounting and front wheel clearance closeups.

You can see the large amount of clearance (3/4" +) on the front caliper. It's difficult to tell from the fender liner front photo, but the tire is turned hard left and clears the forward edge of the fender liner by about 1/4". In the photo that shows the rear of the tire, the tire was turned hard right and the back edge of the fender liner is just barely touched by the tire. I'll post some better pictures once everything is installed and I have some daylight. I also included some pictures of the aggressive tread design of the 255/40/17 BFG g-force TA KDW2.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-weapon-front.jpg   New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-weapon-side.jpg   New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-caliper-clearance.jpg   New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-fenderliner-front.jpg   New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-fenderliner-rear.jpg  

Last edited by Evo8RA; Nov 21, 2004 at 11:28 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

The other photos:
Attached Thumbnails New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-bfg-tread.jpg   New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW-bfg.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Pictures of GM Weapons and Hotchkis on a WW