Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Yokohama AVS Winter tires...Neal?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2004, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yokohama AVS Winter tires...Neal?

Neal,

I've been to www.tirerack.com and it shows the Yokohama AVS Winter tires in low stock.

However, running a search here I came across a thread stating these tires are on National Backorder. I really want these tires, and at the price you offer them, but what's the deal?

I called a local tire place here, and the salesperson said he could get them in a day or too, but I think I know more about the situaltion than him.

Any advice for this situation?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 22, 2004, 05:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That particular tire is produced in very low quantities since its really a specialty tire. Unfortunately what stock we are allowed from Yokohama for the season has been sold. We only have one left
Old Nov 23, 2004, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
That particular tire is produced in very low quantities since its really a specialty tire. Unfortunately what stock we are allowed from Yokohama for the season has been sold. We only have one left
UNGH. Any paticular recommendations for something comperable in price and preformance?
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:06 AM

I can't get a hold of Neal right now but I can tell you his recommendation on winter tires:

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25

You can go with the LM-22 (lower speed rating but still good otherwise) and save a little $
If you really want to crawl through snow like a snow-cat, and are willing to sacrifice a LOT of wear and somewhat less road performance fromt the above options, the Blizzak WS-50's are your best bet.

I talked with him at length on winter/snow tires and that's what he said.
The Bridgestone Blizzaks are about as hard to find as the Yokohamas that you were talking about. I'm receiving mine today, but let me tell you, I called all over Denver, Colorado Springs, all of Texas, and Albuquerque NM and nobody had them (set of WS-50's in Co Springs, CO). Had to finally settle for waiting and ordered them from Tire Rack, who has them.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor

You can always leave me a voicemail if I'm not available. I do have plenty of LM-22s in stock but the Yoko is long gone.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GreedMOTO
I called a local tire place here, and the salesperson said he could get them in a day or too, but I think I know more about the situaltion than him.
Yes, but he may know that a local warehouse has them in stock. Tire Rack could be sold out but some local warehouses may still have them. I'd give them a try first before you have to decide on another brand, no offense to Tire Rack.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

I got the LM-22's.. they do great in snow.. you will notice a major performance loss from the Advans but that's to be expected.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
no offense to Tire Rack.
None taken
Old Nov 24, 2004, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure on the prices of the tires you guys mentioned, but why don't you try out the Michelin Pilot Alpin. I got them put on last week. The steering response is great. and yes i mean great. The steering is still sharp (not quite as sharp as with the Yoks but that's to be expected). If I compare these to the Conti Extremes than it's a night and day difference. The Pilot Alpins rock. They're speed rated too so they're pretty good on the interstate.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KZEVO
Not sure on the prices of the tires you guys mentioned, but why don't you try out the Michelin Pilot Alpin. I got them put on last week. The steering response is great. and yes i mean great. The steering is still sharp (not quite as sharp as with the Yoks but that's to be expected). If I compare these to the Conti Extremes than it's a night and day difference. The Pilot Alpins rock. They're speed rated too so they're pretty good on the interstate.
I called my local hookup for tires and bought them Wed. night.

Thanks to all who posted in this thread!

KZEVO <------------ Now we have matching shoes....I wish we had matching cams!
Old Nov 26, 2004, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Let us know what you think of the Michelins in the snow, rain, etc.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

LOL

I wasn't in town when we got the 2-3 inches of snow so let me know if you had a chance to try them out.

Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

**update**

Well, it finally snowed a decent amount here so I thought I would give an update on the performance of my new Michilin Artic Alpins.

Since I never drove on the Yolohama AVS Winter, I cannot do a comparison, but I will say I am satisfied by these Michilins.

Dry pavement turn in and grip are excellent. Noise reduction from the stock Yokohama Advans to the Michilins is noticable. The car is quieter in the cabin if you believe it.

Wet pavement is similar to stock, but the rear tires will break loose a little sooner than stock; But that is to be expected.

Ok, Ok, Ok. Snow pavement. The Michiins grip hard. I played in my normal drifting spot and once off the throttle, grip returned. Braking is confidence inspiring, with ABS staying quiet most of the time. I can't wait to get out there again today and play.

Peace.