Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Spring rates

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2004, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd also like to know which springs I could safely use with the stock shocks. I'm only after a 1" or so drop front and rear...much more than that and there are too many headaches for daily driving.

As an guide I was told that the spring rate shouldn't increase more than 20% or so if I still want to safely use the stock shocks. I guess the Tein S-Techs could work in that case then...I've heard about the H-Techs as well...do they lower any less?

Anyone with experience or info would be great to hear from!
Old Feb 16, 2004, 10:16 PM

Assuming the valving is crazy stiff you could bump up the spring rate 20% or so. It really depends on the valving, maybe more.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Some of these are progressive though.

Originally posted by tsi90awd
Gruppe-S has a number of spring rates listed on their website:

Tien STech, Front: 196 lb/in, Rear: 268 in/in

RSR, Front: 216, Rear: 177

Eibach Pro-Kit, Front: 165, Rear: 140

Japanparts has some numbers for some Ralliart springs:

Front: 280 lb/in, Rear: 307 lb/in

The problem is that the websites don't describe whether the springs have linear or progressive spring rate. You can tell by looking at the springs, but the pictures shown are often kinda small and not at a good angle.

With a progressive spring, the rate increases with more compression, so the spring rate number will depend on how much the spring is compressed.

Generally, linear rate springs are better for performance because they are more predictable.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

"Some of these are progressive, though"

Yeah, I had a look at some other info sources and some "lowering springs" are claimed to be progressive and definitely are from looking at pictures (non-constant spacing between coils).

What do those published spring rate numbers mean then? (rhetorical question) The measured spring rate will depend on how much the spring is initially compressed before measurement. Maybe this gives rise to some of the conflicting numbers reported.

I'd like to find a linear-rate aftermarket spring that lowers the car about 1 inch and has about a 25% increase in spring rate, maybe with a bit stiffer spring rate at the back to give more oversteer.

Vendors - anything like that exist? Ralliart?
Old Feb 17, 2004, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't bother with wanting a stiffer rear. Use a sway bar for that. I have 8k rears and 9k fronts and my car tails out like crazy. I can power oversteer or lift throttle oversteer. It is a real balancing act.

Watch this video of my friend driving my car at an autocross last week. Pay attention to the slalom at the 25 second point. You can see how easily the tail comes out.
http://www.extremegnome.com/vids/jeremy_evo_1.avi
Old Feb 17, 2004, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

I'd like to find a linear-rate aftermarket spring that lowers the car about 1 inch and has about a 25% increase in spring rate, maybe with a bit stiffer spring rate at the back to give more oversteer
The Tanabe is 20-30% increase and lowers about 1.4-1.5 front and .75-1 rear. Should be a good overall performing spring with not too much of a drop. I will be trying out the Tanabe's this year in Solo II ESP. Haven't installed them yet
Old Feb 17, 2004, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Broeli: Are the Tanabes progressive or linear rate? I'm also prepping my my car for ESP and road track use. I want to try aftermarket springs with the stock struts/shocks before going to a coilover.