Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

HELP: Click-Clunk noise after spring install

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2004, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP: Click-Clunk noise after spring install

I had my Tein S-Tech springs installed today by a reputable shop. After the installation I decided to go for a spin to check if there were any issues. Well when I drive over a bump - i can hear this click-clunk noise coming from the front-right area. Also when im at a stop and turn my steering wheel all the way left or right - i can hear a CLUNK . I can feel the clunk when holding the streering wheel. We took the wheels back out to check if something was wrong...we found nothin. Any ideas?
Old Dec 17, 2004, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

On the last spring install a "clunk" was due to the top bolt on the strut not being tight enough. On my first spring install it was because the spring was in upside down (hard to do with Tein, because if you can read "Tein" you know you have it right side up- but those weren't Teins ).

Also on the last install the guys brother was trying to help and started a lugnut with the impact wrench, welding it to the lugbolt- that clunck was coming from the wheel being loose.

Another install had a slight clunking when turnign because the nuts on the lower part of the strut came loose.

I recommend you look at every nut and bolt that was touched by a wrench and bring a tube of loctite
Old Dec 17, 2004, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, even though its more difficult to check, make sure they put all of the bushings and whatnot back in the proper order when the put the shock on the spring. I did it backwards on one side on an eclipse a few years ago and it made a clunking sound.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 04:08 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

This is generally caused by a bad strut. I was recently shown how to check for this.

With the car on the ground, bend down and put your finger tips in the grooves of the tread on the top of the tire and your palms on the side wall. Pull back towards you and then push away several times in rapid succession -- similar as if you were checking for a bad wheel bearing. I you feel a clucking, then your strut is bad and should be replaced -- ideally under warrantee.

Good luck,
Old Dec 17, 2004, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Ahh thanks so much guys. YOu have been very helpful. I am going ot take it to MItsu to have them take a look at it.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

It also could just be the springs seating themselfs which is nothin at all to worry about.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

I dunno..... a little squeaking, maybe, but "clunking" sounds like something's wrong. I'd rather he take a look and not find anything than not look and have catastrophic failure on the freeway or something.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Yea tommorow we are gonna actually take the springs back off - and do it again. This time use loctite and make sure nothin is lose