Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: What is the best brake pad for street and light racing?
Ferodo
29.17%
Endless
27.08%
Project Mu
14.58%
Hawk
18.75%
Carbotech
4.17%
EBC
6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Looking for the best replacement brake pad!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2004, 05:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for the best replacement brake pad!

I am looking for a brake pad that will allow for some AutoX and road racing. I also don't want much squeal. Also looking for a pad that is less money than the stock counterpart.

Please answer the poll and then post a writeup of your results. Also if I forgot a brand in the listing then tell me and I will add it. Thanks!

Last edited by MitsuJoe; Dec 31, 2004 at 06:01 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 09:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DS2500s front and rear... a little less dust than OE... about the same squeal (more like an occasional squeak) or less than OE (you must peel off and used the fiber pads on the OE brake pads along with the metal ones)... I've yet to fad them in the twisties... about $240 delivered front and rear from.com http://www.raceshopper.com/ferodo_brake_pads.shtml
Old Jan 1, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Street: Porterfield R4S
Track: Porterfield R4

Here is a link to our latest brake pad test report: http://www.selgp.com/brake_pad_testing.htm

Cheers,
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Zeus
DS2500s front and rear... a little less dust than OE... about the same squeal (more like an occasional squeak) or less than OE (you must peel off and used the fiber pads on the OE brake pads along with the metal ones)... I've yet to fad them in the twisties... about $240 delivered front and rear from.com http://www.raceshopper.com/ferodo_brake_pads.shtml

I'm glad you chimed in here ZEUS. Do you happen to have the part #'s handy? Also do you think stainless steel lines and better fluid is a must at the brake change?

Joe
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The lines are nice, but not required depending on the state yours are in. I would be inclined to go ahead and swap the fluid for something like ATE Super Blue/Gold. Not only is it one of the better "bang-for-the-buck" fluids, but it comes in the colors "blue" and "gold".

Now of course there are better fluids out there, but few really need better... not to mention the convenience when it comes time to swap it out again. 1 can is more than enough to swap it all out if you are thorough, but not wasteful.

I don't have the part numbers handy right now, but call the guys up in at the link in my first post and they can hook you up with the pads and fluid. The lines are a good buy, but your choice based on the condition of the OE ones.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 09:35 PM
Former Sponsor

OK I think i see where your coming from. Are you saying the stock lines can wear out? I have never had the brakes fade on me in the EVO, although I only do AutoX and some spirited driving. I plan on doing a few road courses this coming year. I just want to be ready for it. Everyone I talk to says to get good pads and brake lines and better fluid. I personally think part of this opinion is because they dont understand how good the stock EVO brakes are OR that I may ACTUALLY need this stuff.

Also on another note, if I was to feel fade when braking with the EVO then I wouldn't push the car anymore, I know I pay good money for it, but I would rather stop racing, and have fun than have something worse happen. Then I can go and replace the lines, although I think for now the stock rubber ones should be OK. Although I will do pads. Any idea how long these pads will last, I mean like 20-30k with moderate to hard driving or will they crumble with the first use of track use and need to be replaced very often(I am asking about the 2500's).

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FT@SELGP

Here is a link to our latest brake pad test report: http://www.selgp.com/brake_pad_testing.htm

Cheers,
Thanks for the info - both of the PF 97s and Porterfields have been on my "need more info" list, along with the DS2500s. Can you share which Carbotech pad compound you tested? I only ask because I've tried two different compounds from Carbotech and found them to be very different in character. One is working great as a crossover pad for me, but the other essentially performed like an OEM replacement pad.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

the endless vita nuovas aren't that hot.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
The lines are nice, but not required depending on the state yours are in. I would be inclined to go ahead and swap the fluid for something like ATE Super Blue/Gold. Not only is it one of the better "bang-for-the-buck" fluids, but it comes in the colors "blue" and "gold".

Now of course there are better fluids out there, but few really need better... not to mention the convenience when it comes time to swap it out again. 1 can is more than enough to swap it all out if you are thorough, but not wasteful.

I don't have the part numbers handy right now, but call the guys up in at the link in my first post and they can hook you up with the pads and fluid. The lines are a good buy, but your choice based on the condition of the OE ones.
I use to use blue in my track bike and it was GREAT!!! Way better to me than the more expensive crap a great bang for the buck....Here is site to compare a few fluids...
http://www.evilplastic.com/bfluid.htm
Old Jan 4, 2005, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

I voted Ferodo. Not very expensive and I love how they hold up at the track. I run the DS2500's and as mentioned before, with lots of Permatex anti-seize and both the stock shims (metal and the one you peel off the stock pads) they aren't very noisy. Hardly a squeel unless I push them really hard, and only then till I use them in normal driving for a little while again. I also run RBF600 fluid but I hear good things about ATE.

The stock pads are ok at the track as long as you don't push them very hard, and if pushed you do get a long brake pedal fairly early in the game. I swapped them after my first track day because I just wanted something that wouldn't fade so much.

With the RBF600 and DS2500s I feel very confident, and this setup holds up well as long as I don't get stupid with the hard heavy late braking.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 07:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think it was SCC that pushed Ferodo pads until they literally caught fire... other than a visable white haze, their performance was not notably effected. They just "put them out", and kept using them. If you can make them "crumble", you need to put the cutting tourch down... As far as wear, mine seem to be out lasting the OE pads by a fair margin. If it wasn't clear earlier about the color of the ATE, it makes swapping fluid easy as you can alternate colors when you change it out.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FT@SELGP

Cheers,
I've used the R4 pads in other cars and they have worked great as track pads. The R4S pads may be OK on the street, but they are terrible track pads, much worse than stock.

When I first got my Evo, I ordered R4 pads but got R4S pads by mistake. Because I was going to Road Amerca in a couple of days, I couldn't exchange them, so I used the R4S pads on the track. Even with proper bedding, they wore to the backing plates in a couple of 20 minute sessions. As usual, YMMV.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 01:55 PM

Lolz... Endless brake pads owns!!! i voted endless. Vn is great for the daily driver. CCX is great for the track.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJoe
I am looking for a brake pad that will allow for some AutoX and road racing. I also don't want much squeal. Also looking for a pad that is less money than the stock counterpart.

Please answer the poll and then post a writeup of your results. Also if I forgot a brand in the listing then tell me and I will add it. Thanks!
MitsuJoe, Is there a more updated poll for "the best replacement brake pad" with more criteria... i.e. best initial bite, least fade, least noise, least dust etc? I am only asking because I see you online and you started this thread. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html