Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Spray-on wheel cleaner BADDDD!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the year that I’ve had my Evo I have never had to resort to any special wheel cleaners. I just sit down and spend 10 minutes with each rim and apply the remaining soapy water from washing the rest of the car. The Evo may make a lot of dust, but it seems to come off very easily. Everything still looks nice and bright.

Best wishes,
f86sabre
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I'd never had any problems with that product on my Civic, but then again it didn't have fancy-schmancy shiny red Brembros on it either. haha I'm thinking I'll probably just repaint the calipers and just use soap and water to clean my wheels.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by f86sabre
In the year that I’ve had my Evo I have never had to resort to any special wheel cleaners. I just sit down and spend 10 minutes with each rim and apply the remaining soapy water from washing the rest of the car. The Evo may make a lot of dust, but it seems to come off very easily. Everything still looks nice and bright.

Best wishes,
f86sabre
thx
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KillaSweep
The Best wheel cleaner ever in my opinion is P-21S...you can order it online as a spray liquid or spray gel (holds on the wheel better)....you can leave it on for days and have no corrosion at all. It safe for all surfaces and works absolutely awesome. Hope this helps.
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. Once my feeling of horror fades away I might try that stuff. haha
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:47 PM

Dupont Teflon is awesome! Simple Green is the best cleaner around, and cheap and dillutable. use it on my go entire racing go kart with no problems, just wonders. If you wash your car frequently, the dust should just come off easily with the recommended soap and water.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:50 PM

I think meguairs hot wheel cleaner comes in two versions. One for coated and one for uncoated wheels. Obviously the one for uncoated wheels will take the coat off.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Elbow grease is good lol.. I always wash mine with a soft towel after the simple green.. then i put some Zaino spray shine stuff on them and they shine
Old Jan 4, 2005, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CarbonKiller
I think meguairs hot wheel cleaner comes in two versions. One for coated and one for uncoated wheels. Obviously the one for uncoated wheels will take the coat off.

I believe that your right. I think it has two versions. Well anyway I used the Meguairs Hot Wheel cleaner on my 2003 Evo with no problems I probably used it like 15 times will no ill effects,but they did change the label on it it used to say 30 seconds now it says 15. I have used it a couple of times on my MR. I leave it on no more than 15 seconds by the time I'm done spraying down the wheel with the cleaner I'm already rinsing it off with the hose. So far so good but I will be more cautious now that this topic has come up.

Thanks for the info.

Derek
Old Jan 4, 2005, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

The version I was using was definitely for coated wheels. So who knows what happened...
Old Jan 5, 2005, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

I thought that the finish on the wheel would come off before the finish on the caliper. Upon close inspection the clear coat is what it affects first. But the bottle says clearcoat safe?
Old Jan 5, 2005, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redninja
I thought that the finish on the wheel would come off before the finish on the caliper. Upon close inspection the clear coat is what it affects first. But the bottle says clearcoat safe?
yeah only thing I can think of is maybe I just didn't rinse the calipers as well as I should have?? DOH. oh well, I'm gonna repaint and get new Brembro stickers put on or sumthin'. That was a good observation though.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 06:59 AM
Account Disabled

I am using the Hot Wheels stuff now on my Z...no issues at all with the paint on my AP calipers.

My favorite to use is the Castrol, but I cannot always find it.

If all else fails, wash your wheels last with a seperate sponge using plain old car wash soap and water
Old Jan 6, 2005, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Castrol Super Clean, I call it the magic purple cleaner. Mix it 50/50 with water and it cleans the rims/tires no problem. Never had an issue.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

yeah ^^ i have tried a few different products and wasnt that impressed with any of them. so i pretty much wash them first with seperate water, and with a seperate rag. sure it takes me longer, but i dont mind, oh and the nighbors get to see my buttcrack- in my ghetto "carwash shorts" lol.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
If all else fails, wash your wheels last with a seperate sponge using plain old car wash soap and water
I use just sponge and plain old car wash soap on all my wheels. I have Blitz Technospeeds Z1s on my Supra and the car wash soap works the best for me. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Spray-on wheel cleaner BADDDD!!!