Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Kumho Asx Review (long Term)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2005, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plokivos
put 70 more miles on my car tonight.

yep, you definitely need more psi for these tires. They sink way too easily.

will try 40psi front/ 36 psi back to see if it effects grip on cornering and ride quality.

Grips improved a bit more. Did some heavy driving, holds well on small country roads, but can't ask too much of them.

Keep the review coming! Will increasing tire pressure cause the tires to wear out faster, etc?
Old Jan 15, 2005, 07:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
probably not, as long as you're not dragging. The set tire pressure for our car is our load efficiency.

There maybe where you're getting worn spots faster in the middle with over inflated tires, but with 51psi max tire pressure I don't think it's going to be an issue.

I'm going to lower the rear a bit more, then increase the front a bit more as well. I'll try that after I try the higher PSI all around.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 02:25 PM
Account Disabled

ok, at 500 miles currently, the tires do slide loose a bit when cornering hard and tight.

The tire definitely need more psi.

However the wear on these tires are fairely good. Even slide cornering/counter steer on a decent curve, it shows no sign of wear like the ES100's.

I'm going to up the PSI tomorrow to 40psi front / 37 psi back.

I do have to admit, the regular ride is just unbeatable. These are probably the most quiet and comfortable tires I've ridden in.

the highway drive is fairely stable but lane change is still unsure above 60mph.

I think the increasing the tire pressure will cure the floaty feel when cornering and car's sway.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

I run the ASX for winter right now and do not do the cornering you do so keep the info coming. It is always nice to know how to improve a tires performance.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 02:54 AM
Evolving Member

Im just bought a set of these last night. What a difference in ride. They def. feel like cushions after the advans. They went through a snowstorm well too. They cut through about 5 inches of fresh snow without too much trouble. Sure beats the hell out of snow driving with the stockers!
Old Jan 22, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

I bought these as well from discount tire. I had them siped for better traction. Cost a bit more though. I haven't got the chance to ride the car yet. Are these tires unidirectional? I couldn't see a direction indication on it.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 09:33 PM
Account Disabled

it's omni directional

with 700 miles on it, these tires are actually fairely good. Traction is steady, ride quality is superb, road noise is quiet as i've ever had tires grip this well had.

I think this is a keeper. Although the lack of sidewall stiffness and the "floaty" feel on hard corners and quick turns as well as quick evasive manuver, these tires are a bargain.

Also, even with hard cornering, while having my rear end tail out multiple times, the tire shows no wear whatsoever, unlike es100 where the first side drifting showed a sign of great wear.

I will ride like this until 1000 miles on the tires, then up the pressure to 40 psi front and 37 psi rear. I think that'll help on the stiffness of the tires on cornering, but lets see how grip is compromised.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 02:56 AM
Account Disabled

with 2000 miles on the tires so far, the wear on this set of tires are amazing. with hard driving, hard cornering and lots of highway, byway, small dirt roads, the tread is still as new.

the tire pressure was lowered a bit, but by doing this the feel of the tires are bit better (at 35psi front 32 psi back), however the car rolls excessively.

I changed it back to 1 psi lower then the original.

At straight line performance in a wet environment, the tires don't feel any different than in the dry weather.

however, the cornering on a wet surface, hard cornering (4th down to 2nd toe and heel) the whole car just slides entirely while trying to find grip. So it's either slow down or be brave and try to give some more throttle and counter steer or fail and hit a house.

I choose to slow down.

it's funny, because the front grips a bit but the rear comes around and both the front and the rear starts to slide noticeably.

Bounciness of the tires are fairely annoying, and the tires are starting to squeek when doing hard turns on dry payment.

But really, If you're serious about track days, auto-x and Drag, you need to invest some money on some track/slicks and have something for your daily driving.

I think these are the perfect, i could go fast enough in the highway in any road condition tires.

I wouldn't recommend on the autox or drag. But I'll find it out for you. I'll be doing some autox and drag on these tires to see the wear and the performance.

as far as dry weather performance, these are fairely good for the price. Comparing with ES100, the feedback is rather dull and it's missing the edginess, but it still performance well.

I'll keep you posted after this friday, when i'll be hitting the drag strip.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 07:54 AM

i'm running 215 45 17's on my scion xA, and i must agree with the long term review of this tire. good treadwear (I ABUSE THEM) but the corners are going fast. i can't imagine how bad they must be on a heavier car. they autoX well, but for some reason, feel alot more FLOATY with more psi..

good tire for the money tho! i think i paid 68apiece for them..
Old Feb 28, 2005, 08:10 AM

i have sumitomo htr+, cant be beat, also my friend with a wrx, and sti have the htr+ and i have another friend with an sti with asx's on and the two sti's dont even compare with the 2 different tires on. the sumitomos are so much better. and for my evo they are only like 90 apiece or something.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 08:40 PM
Account Disabled

ASX review 3/12/05.

with close to 8000 miles on the tires so far, along with a lot of passes at the drag strip, i still don't see a wear on the tires.

it's amazing, i've never seen any tires last this long.

I've been doing some 4th gear high RPM to 2nd gear heel toe corning on fairely sharp 180 degree corners and this tire holds.

With the tire pressure set at 33psi front and 30 psi rear, the bounciness dissapeared, and the numbness of the tires improved a lot. I could feel more stable at turns.

I mean, the gas milage sucks, but the bounciness and the floatiness is almost gone.

so far, this is the best $$ i've ever spent on tires.

I plan on buying some R compound tires soon for when I drag, autox, or road race.

it just makes more sense in a long run. It'll save a lot of money too.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 04:52 PM

I bought these tires last November for winter duty. I liked the increased comfort they provided. They handle the white stuff well enough. Didn't want to try the Advans in the snow. They are awesome in the rain when pushed hard in an empty parking lot.

If you want a high performance all season tire, this is it. IMO.

I have about 6k on them. Just swapped the advans today, since spring is coming. Just hope the snow is done for the season!

Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:47 PM
Account Disabled

yeh, i'm eventually gonna get some track tires soon. R compound in a seperate set of rims.

my gf's idea. in a short term, it's costly, but in a long term, it'll save you crap load of money along with 2 second off of your solo 2 events.

I'm thinking if I do that, these tires could really really last 2 to 3 years. which is just insane.

trade off is there, the massive grip, but the ASX has enough grip now that I have no complaints driving daily.

looks like I got the winner.

This is by far the best all season performance tires out in the market that's super good in wear and good enough grip in dry and almost dry traction in rain.

go buy yourself a set and while you're at it, buy yourself another set of rims/r compound tires. You wont regret it.

one thing is, these tires, the sidewalls get really dirty, so you might want to get some of those shiny thingys.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Have you had an AX day on these yet? What were your pressures? What was the result?

My AX instructor was telling us that he ran insane pressures on his tires- 50 front and 52 rear- and those were the pressures that won him the regional championship in '03.... someting to consider
Old Mar 25, 2005, 01:18 PM
Account Disabled

well. i was gonna, but stupid online registration rule screwed me.

i'll be 43 front 40 back. asx goes upto 50 psi.

Quick Reply: Kumho Asx Review (long Term)