Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Kumho Asx Review (long Term)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2005, 01:19 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
UPDATE: Heavy rain driving.

Don't do hard corners in these tires in the rain. UNless you know how to control your car or trail brake.

the weight of the car or the inertia of the car will carry your front end in an ever lasting slide.

You have to get your tail to come over or otherwise you're going to hit the house head first.

far as hard corners again, these tires make the loudest screeching noise ever. I thought my old es100 was loud on the corners, but these tires are loud.

it holds fairely well, but it's loud.

Compare to my gf's Dunlop super sports race slick tires, these suck (for obvious reasons).

but rain traction is good.

Just don't f uck around in the rain.

Wear on these tires are amazing though. With all that crap I have these go through, no wear at all or torn edges.

it's going to last me for 3 years for sure.

Old Apr 3, 2005, 03:58 PM
Account Disabled

Auto X and Mountain run.

I must say, I was bit unsure about running these at the track, but what the hey, I had an 1 hour of sleep, wasn't thinking straight.

The thing that suprised me the most is the wear on these tires. Again, these tires amazed me on how much they don't want to seperate and torn apart.

With the minimal wear after 6 runs and an hour of a mountain run, I have no idea why these tires sells so cheap?!!

So let's start.

Auto-x.

I run the ESP class. Of course at the event, there were all STI's in ESP and my evo being the only evo in the class, it was sorta funny.

Veteran auto xers and very nice people, nonetheless. They all had slicks on. One had the hoosiers, one had the kumho, and the other, i forgot.

anyway, with my all season tires i ran. And the times weren't that bad either. If you're serious about auto x, don't auto x with these tires. They slide way too much. They have lack of feeling at the limit and they don't grab nearly enough to be competitive.

Especially on the 90 degree u turn, even with the brake fully depressed way before, even with the trail braking, the tires will slide out seriously.

Every turn that I would take would result in car being squeegly. It almost feels like if the cars on ice at times.

I lost about good 4 seconds from just sliding all over the place, loosing boost, dropped rpm recover, etc.

however, for a tire that this is, it did well. exceptionally well at that.

Mountain run.

same situation as above. however, at moments where you need to push yourself a bit more, I'm always unsure about how well these will do. They do scare me sometimes.

Once they go out of control, they don't seem to recover that well.

but it did good in general. would love to have something more stickier, so it wouldn't squeek so much, but otherwise these are great daily driving tires so far, with wear like if it's just been put on a week ago.

I have 10,000 miles on these already. Still crap load of tread left.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 03:58 PM
Account Disabled

oh tire pressure

auto -x / 40 front/ 37 rear

mtn run/ 33 front/ 30 rear
Old Apr 3, 2005, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have these on my evo and love them
Old Apr 18, 2005, 05:10 PM
Account Disabled

more auto x update

with 15,000 miles on these tires, they still look new.

the faster course at autox, i'm practically drifting through the corners, that's the only way to go about them.

they do hold but after the 3rd run, they start to fail fairely horribly.

understeers are sorta corrected because I could loose grip on the back.

I'll be doing another run with these tires and will purchase some r compound tires.

this is a great daily driving tires. cheap, wears forever, good traction on daily driving.

i can't stress enough that they DO grip well in rain and dry, it's just that when pushed it wont hold.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

anymore updates?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:29 PM

Have them on mine for the past 12,000 miles. (stock died at 8k)
Not much wear on them.
Slide when pushed too hard, but I find the drifing pretty easy to control (if you are expecting it to happen)

For the person who hates to have to buy new tires every 10-15k miles, these are a great compromise.

For those who need the unbelivable grip from hell... not for you...

Well that's my mini review. Do as you see fit, or just plain ignore me either way.. have fun and rubber side down.

(Besides, flipping over a car is not very fun.... don't ask...)
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:44 PM
Account Disabled

ok, i gave up trying to kill these tires.

I did get some wear on the front tires, but I think the alignment is way off on the rear side and the front on my car...
Old Jul 14, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

ive had these tires for 17k miles. Slight wear, but ive had one tire have a small leak, which was patched and now i just blew out another tire on the highway. *sigh*.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 03:25 AM
Account Disabled

ok, update.

if you want to do some serious auto-x, don't get these.

these after the first run once the tire gets warmed up, it'll slide, not grip, drift all over the course.

No grip, no sidewall stiffness even with the tires pumped up to it's max.

these are great highway tires, daily driving tires, it's quiet, don't give you too much problems and it's last a lot of abuse, i mean a lot of abuse and it's still got a lot of thread left.

So, without saying too much, with competition looks for something better than these, R compound rubber as a second set just for racing.

But for a daily driving, good grip, good weather traction, these can't be beaten.

no, no, no. This is by far the best heavy rain, summer traction daily driven tires out there now.