Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Kumho Asx Review (long Term)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:23 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kumho Asx Review (long Term)

I've just got a set. I wanted to do a long term review of it.

First impression, looks ugly, but with 420 wear rate/ AA traction and A temperature at $500 (set) with Tire replacement Certificate and 30,000 mile guarantee, all season performance, reinforced side wall, from Discount Tire Inc, you just can't go wrong with this tire (i'm thinking) (you could get a better deal just on tires from TireRack.com at around $400 shipped)

With 3 Miles on my car right now, I could immediately tell that the ride quality is drastically increased from my previous tires, YOKOHOMA ES100.

It's smoother, lane change transition is a lot softer and bumps on the roads are rather tamed.

Obviously the tires are not worned in enough for me to take hard corners but I do it anyways.

Getting out of the tire shop, I'll take a hard right and tires slide, I could feel my tail sliding out. Tires still cold, virigin.

After warming up the tires a bit, the tires are sticking to the road but it still feels unsure.

The tire pressure is set at 36 psi front and 33 psi rear now at 51 psi max.

I'll be putting about 1500 miles on my car and come back to this thread and do another review.

So far, I'm not liking these tires at all. lol at 3 miles.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 10,000 on mine. They def arent advans, but they arent bad. There was alot of body roll i noticed. I installed a sway bar and that took alot of it off these tires. I have my pressure the same as the advans.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:58 PM
Account Disabled

With 30 miles on it now, properly warmed up, this tire still sucks really bad. It's raining a bit now and when I'm doing a aggressive turn, the tires just give up and squeek as well as loose traction and slides.

I don't mind a little loose traction, counter steer drift action, but not when I don't want it.

... I may just change it out to Kumho 712's or even Faulken 512.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

C'mon man, you need to give them time to scrub the casting off. Give them a few hundred miles before you push them or complain too much And if the treadwear is 420, that's realy hard rubber and I wouldn't expect them to handle anything like a performance tire.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

try the bfgoodrich gforce sports...you'll likem! basically same price range, but better in every way. Have 3K miles on mine...really really nice. getting another set when these wear out.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 01:14 PM
Account Disabled

yeh, i know. I'll come back in 2 weeks. I'll do some mountain runs.

I know what that "floaty" feel with this tire is now. I may up the PSI on the tires, since the max load is 51 psi.

I know I'm suppose to stay with the stock OEM tire pressure even with the different tires, but I want to up it 40psi up front and 36 PSI rear.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

$500 total? SOunds like a good deal. I thought it was around 550-580. These tires are not uni-directional correct?
Old Jan 13, 2005, 04:09 PM
Account Disabled

they're non directional.

Last edited by plokivos; Jan 13, 2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

I thought about getting a set of those... I was caught up between those and the Azenis ST-115 ... Discount Tire quoted me $500 out the door... I'm looking foward to reading your long term review. Right now I'm using the Azenis sport that came with my other set of rims since I wore out my advans... The Azenis sports suck in the rain but the weather has cleared up quite a bit here so that's not an issue anymore. As far as the ASX goes, you're right, I'm not to keen on the tread pattern compared to the ST-115... Another option I was considering is proxes 4...
Old Jan 13, 2005, 05:12 PM
Account Disabled

yeh, proxes 4 i heard good things about. But not that good in rain.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
yeh, proxes 4 i heard good things about. But not that good in rain.
Yeah... They're supposedly an all-weather tire... A buddy of mine has them on his EVO and he hasn't complained about the rain traction... But one thing is for sure, it can't be worse the the Azenis Sports I'm running...
Old Jan 13, 2005, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

FYI, They are 402 shipped from Tirerack. Before buying tires, you should know what purpose the tires are for, track, everyday street, autox..etc. These are all season tires and there are no way you can compare this to any high performance summer tires, let alone the ultimate Advans that comes with the car. But these are very good tires for what it is, very affordable, good wear rate and get you through winter and snow. Less road noise and better ride quality for everyday. For 400 brand new set of 4. What do you expect?
Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:18 PM
Account Disabled

they're aa traction.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:25 PM
Account Disabled

Ok, with about 70 miles on my tires, without much of Highway driving, here is the 70 mile drive review.

All the previous dislikes are gone. On a dry surface, this tire does grip very well. The plus side of this tire so far is the amazing quietness and comfortable in ride when in high speed and stopping.

My dislike for this tires so far is that when you're doing an emergency manuver, the sharpness of the car is gone. It does everything the car did before but the edginess along with the rougher handling characteristics are all gone.

Rather, the tires handle softly, but gets the job done. In cornering in low speed, you do have to turn the steering wheel a lot more to corner and you do have to work a bit more to turn with it.

Also, the side walls there and it'll hold on its own on cornering, however, the tires does feel like it's about to give. There's no standard foundation to measure how much you're pushing the tires except for the bit of squeeking you get from the tires as well as the body roll you're getting. However, this is easy fix with the tire pressure since the max PSI for these tires are 51 psi.

Other than the floaty, boat feel of the tires, I can't imagine anything that could perform well and last long as these tires. Longevity of the tires are going to be tested. I'm planning on Drag and Auto X with these tires with different PSI to see how it holds up. (will purchase summer tires and rims in summer and swap em out to compare them both)

But for daily driving, Kumho ASX is something else. It make my car feel like a larger sedan and it's not as rough on my body as those Max Performance Summer tires.

So far so good. I'm thinking with enough wear, I'll get the feel and get use to them and it'll change my perspective as well as the handling of the tires.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 04:19 AM
Account Disabled

put 70 more miles on my car tonight.

yep, you definitely need more psi for these tires. They sink way too easily.

will try 40psi front/ 36 psi back to see if it effects grip on cornering and ride quality.

Grips improved a bit more. Did some heavy driving, holds well on small country roads, but can't ask too much of them.

Quick Reply: Kumho Asx Review (long Term)