Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coilover help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilover help

I've possibly narrowed down my coiloer search to two sets and was wondering if anyone knew anything about these particular set-ups or know someone who ran them.
GAB Prosso - fully adjustable ride/dampening with 12kg springs front and rear

or

Toda Fightex DA-G - fully adjustable with 14kg f and 12kg rear linear spring rates

These look to be exactly what I'm looking for in a coilover, track/auto cross oriented with full adjustability without costing an arm and a leg
Old Jan 24, 2005, 01:20 PM

how much do those coilover setups cost?
Old Jan 24, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Those rates will be painful on the street.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry, I haven't heard of either of these setups, and I thought I knew most of them. Do you have a website link or something to give more information?
Old Jan 24, 2005, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Have any evo owners opted for DMS? My bro-in-law has the 50mm DMS Coilovers and they go great. Though the rides really stiff on the street.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Another - the set ups are both 2000, give or take 50 bucks

hi_nrg - I have a company vehicle for work, so this is mostly an autocross/track car, the spring rates dont really bother me cause its not gonna see much street time

white - I found these and probably a half dozen other coilovers which most people have never heard of. I'm getting them from bulletproofautomotive.com These guys have a TON of hard to find JDM stuff, in fact they hardly have anything at all from America. Toda, JUN, Ralliart, HKS Kansai, Mine's, Monster Sport, the manufacturers that you might find a piece or two from here in the states, but not like full catalogs. VERY reasonable prices too, I suggest everyone check em out!

everyone-
I called John at BulletProof and talked to him and he suggested going with the GAB's, they have a dual spring set-up thats more gyhmkana/autocross oriented. Only downer is once I have the money to buy them, its gonna take like 2-3 months to get them here from the factory in Japan *sighs* oh well, at least I'll have them for the last half of autoX season.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 02:54 PM

one more major questions...
is there warranty and can it be rebuillt in the states? or is it gonna take 2-3 months to repair if anything should go wrong..
Old Jan 25, 2005, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Well if you are not on the street, those rates will be great for autoX. Just make sure whatever you buy it is not greymarket or you will have no warranty. Also, coilovers will need to be rebuilt, more frequently if you race a lot. One question, and I am not intending to flame. Why would you pick a coilover which no one in this country has any feedback/experience with? Yes it may be exclusive, but it may not be as competitive as a custom setup from a US vendor with real US track experience and domestic support.

Last edited by hi_nrg_fizzix; Jan 25, 2005 at 04:03 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:53 PM

yeah i would have to agree w/ hi nrg..
It just seems like a lot of headaches in the future in terms of any support.. especially if you are going to be doing any motorsports w/ your car.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

hi_nrg,

The guy at BulletProof has had them on a few different cars and was very impressed with it. He said the rebuild was real simple, which was another pluls factor over the Toda's. From what he was saying, yes, there is a warranty on these, although since they're leaving Japan I'd have to talk to someone over seas about setting up a special warranty. I just got off the phone with BP, and they said the turn around time on a rebuild from them is about a month. The ordering time just takes long because they only get shipments every so often, and if I order them on such and such day, they might not be sending off the big japan order for another week or so, then it depends on if it makes it to the next incoming shipment. I know its kinda fishy buying stuff not many people have, but thats kind of a habit of mine, I like a little bit of exclusivety, even if it requires a little more hassle. Thats part of the reason I got the RS lol, and ordered it in Feb of 04 the first day my dealer started taking orders for it, coulda been March....either way, had to wait for the damn car a while.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Well as long as you are aware of the risks, then you will have no suprises. Do they have custom rates/valving? One advantage of Ohlins/Zeals/JICs is down the road if you need to you can change the spring rates and get them revalved to your specs. Good luck and post a review when you get them.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I can have them customize the valves. I'm not positive about the spring rates, but if they are as big time in racing as they say, then anything SHOULD be possible. I looked at the JIC's but have been told by a few people who had them here that they had a tendancy to rust in spots *shrug* I'd love to have Ohlins or Zeals, but they are a bit more then I'm looking to spend, at 2k the GAB's seem like a steal. I should hopefully have them on the car by mid summer, its gonna take a few months to save up for them, on top of the 6-8 weeks delivery time (why can't japan be closer?!) I'll give a full review when I can, until then I guess I just dream lol