Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ebrake light comes on/off during driving (Ebrake is down/disengaged)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ebrake light comes on/off during driving (Ebrake is down/disengaged)

I hope that this phenomenon is due to the but *** freezing weather - but I doubt it... I'm sure it's an ABS issue. I also noticed that under extreme braking, the light will come on aswell. Is that the ecu taking over. I know the Evo does not have "stability control braking" nonsenese. Anyone elese experience this?

Thx
Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my evo did that last winter. Mitsu adjusted the cable and pads, reset the ecu and I have had no issues since. they said my cable was to tight and the pads didnt fully disengage.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Had that exact problem - identical symptoms, more pronounced in cold for some reason. Then I looked at my fluid resovoir and then at my pads. As the pads wear (get thinner) the pistons go out of the caliper more. This drains more fluid from the resovoir. I noticed that the volume that the pistons displace due to pad thickness is quite large, enough to drain the fluid to the min level. I too thought it was handbrake related or to the cold but after adding some brake fluid I never saw the light again.

I need to make myself a sticky note now not to forget to drain out some fluid before pushing the pistons back when inserting new pads or the fluid will overlow from the resovoir and make a mess.

Let us know if adding fluid solves your issue.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

this happened to me a couple of months back - it was a "safety" feature to let u know that ur brake fluid is low
Old Jan 28, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Brake Light? or hand brake light?

if its the brake light, your brake fluid maybe low.... meaning your pads are wearing out and the level has dropped enough to trip the switch when it is sloshing around...(its a sealed system so you should never have to add fluid)
if its the hand brake and its disengaged.... then maybe its a problem with the hand brake switch... either needs to be adjusted or replaced.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evilution VIII
My 03 does not differentiate between the two. It is the same light, It is red with the word "Brake". It is located at the bottom right of the speedo cluster. To the left of the red Brake warning light is a yellow "ABS" warning light. The ABS light does not go on for low brake fluid on my car.

The red "Brake" warning light shows up for low brake fluid and when the hand brake is up. Please let us know where the "Brake Light" and the "Hand Brake Light" is located on your car and state the year.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evilution VIII
Both use the same light. If the E-brake is down when this light comes on your brake fluid is more than likely low.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks. I'll add some more brake fluid and see if that solves the issue. In the meantime, I need to look for new pads...
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

no doubt on my mind it is low fluid...the fluid moves around in resoivor on harsh braking/acceleration causing the sensor to get a varied reading, hence turning the light on and off.

your pads are fine.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Im not sure if I am right here, but maybe some techs can back meup on this one, I dont think you should be putiing BF back in the car, as that is an indicater that you need to change the PADS...as the pAD wear dow, so does the fluid....since it is needed in the calipers now that there is little pad left....I hope this makes sense, but I would just take into MITSU and hae them deal with it....
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

hrmmm happens to me 2 but only in cold weather i think my pads are fine.... i havent had any issues and take it very easy on them ....... maybe ill check the fluid
Old Jan 31, 2005, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

We see the same thing when the weather first turns cold. On all mitsu cars the only "BRAKE" light is tied to the fluid level in master cylinder. Our theory is that the temperature is affecting the switch. We top up the fluid and tuck the diaphragm back into the cap. Make sure you check the level with the cap off because the diaphragm drops down as the fluid level goes down. With the cap on it makes it look like it's full but it really isn't.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

where is the diapram and all this located just wondering also is thier a reccomended brake fluid to use? thanks

evoisdream
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

If you take off the cap there is a rubber seal that sometimes comes down and pushes on the screen and then on the sensor for the low fluid warning( red brake light)

I believe it is DOT 4 for the EVO. Check the cap to make sure on the DOT rating.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

I got the same problem. E-brake light goes on when under acceleration/medium to heavy breaking. Went to the dealer yesterday for something else, and while i was there asked him about the problem. Before he even looked at it he said it needed new brakes pads, its somewhat of a warning light. Then he pulled and car in and checked and i was practically riding on rotors.

Quick Reply: Ebrake light comes on/off during driving (Ebrake is down/disengaged)