Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Intercooler rerouted as brake cooler?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2005, 04:47 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler rerouted as brake cooler?

I have tracked my Evo several times on cool days (between 30F and 50F) and noticed the brakes begin to go off due to temperature. Granted this was on a track that is notoriously hard on brakes, but it got me thinking about the potential problems I will have when the temps increase in the summer.

Increasing the air to the brakes was my first thought but then I remembered the, all but useless, intercooler sprayer. It wouldn’t be hard to split the hose and route a sprayer at the center of each rotor. The flow could be controlled by the brake light switch, applying water only under braking. Voila, water cooled brakes!

Granted this would not be appropriate for endurance racing, but it might be very effective for those of us that do the occasional track days and usually run for just 15 and 20 minute sessions.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts?
Old Jan 30, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

If that actually works, that is the most brilliant idea ever...it'd probably be a really easy mod too, even if you didn't link it up to the brake light switch you could press the manual button before and after every run to help keep it cool...it'd also help prevent the rotors from warping after a run...I'll definitly stay posted on this...would it decrease the braking ability though by making the rotors wet? and what about squirting on the rotors and getting on the track, would it be enough liquid for them to "meatball" the car?
Old Jan 30, 2005, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

I'm sure this would be very do-able but....

Spraying water onto something that's EXTREMELY hot. I dunno.... I personally wouldnt do it. I've seen people route dryer ducts from the openings on both sides of the front bumper directly to the rotors. Just throwing out a suggestion...
Old Jan 30, 2005, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, there could be steaming and cracking issues as well...and lots of steam from the brakes could block your view and get you a "meatball" too...and my dad has an S2k with dryer duct routing to his rotors and it works wonderfully, still heats up faster than stock Evo's brakes, but overall it's better than a stock S2k
Old Jan 30, 2005, 05:01 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

I think you would be unlikely to get a meatball as the water would be coming off as steam. I think that if you aim the sprayer at the center of the rotor, the water would just be dispelled thought the vented part of the rotor and not actually on the surface itself, resulting in no change in performance.

My only concern would be not having enough water.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

i too am interested in decreasing my brake temps. let us know how it turns out!
Old Jan 30, 2005, 05:03 PM

I've done it on my Viper for the track. Knocked a couple hundred degrees off the rotor temps. Been thinking about it for the Evo. You'll need to get a spray nozzle that mists, got mine from Mcmaster Carr. These are similar to a water injection nozzle, and they need high pressure - likely higher than the water sprayer can handle.

I left mine on the entire session, regardless of whether the brakes were applied (switched on once brakes were up to temp). The rotors are so hot 700f+ that the water is going to turn to vapor immediately on contact. Also, I wouldn't run them without the car in motion.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 05:07 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pedalpusher
I've done it on my Viper for the track. Knocked a couple hundred degrees off the rotor temps. Been thinking about it for the Evo. You'll need to get a spray nozzle that mists, got mine from Mcmaster Carr. These are similar to a water injection nozzle, and they need high pressure - likely higher than the water sprayer can handle.

I left mine on the entire session, regardless of whether the brakes were applied (switched on once brakes were up to temp). The rotors are so hot 700f+ that the water is going to turn to vapor immediately on contact. Also, I wouldn't run them without the car in motion.

How quickly did you go through water?
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

A possible solution depending on the brake fluid that you are using. Try Castrol RF that has the highest BP wet and dry and is the most expensive. We ran one Evo in 8 events with 2 drivers back to back during the summer and fall and there was only 1 time that any fade began. So after that I put in two brake ducts from the grill to the calipers for added cooling.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have stock pads and rotors? If so you should buy Hawk HPS pads and 2 piece rotors. These rotors diapate the heat much better than stock.
I think the water idea is a good one but if the brakes get wet you will not stop.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

2 piece rotors are so freakin expensive, and all rotors wear out pretty fast with track racing...how many track events do the rotors last for?
Old Jan 30, 2005, 08:40 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

I agree that a 2 piece floating solution would be cool. The nice thing about this setup is that the rotor replacement is much cheaper as you don't have to replace the hats.

Although a pad and fluid change is an excellent idea, it will not help with heat buildup in the rotor. I am presently getting hot spots on them and this has been in cool weather! On a hot day the stock setup is going to suffer!

I am hoping that the water spray will help with total temperature and pad wear. I will check it out and report back.

Pedalpusher -- which Mcmaster Carr nozzles did you use for your Viper?

Thanks for the feedback guys! I would love to hear from someone that has tried this on an Evo!
Old Jan 30, 2005, 08:43 PM
Former Vendor

hot rotors=warping
Old Jan 31, 2005, 05:41 AM

It's been almost 3 years since I did this. Go to www.mcmaster.com
Do a search for "spray nozzle mist". Near the bottom there is a section titled simply "mist nozzles". I think I ordered those. As cheap as they are I ordered a couple different sizes, but forget which ones.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dafarmer69
hot rotors=warping
hot rotors + water = warping.