Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need help! CAMBER PLATES??

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vtluu
I have the WORKS camber plates and they've worked quite well for me, and held up perfectly despite my flogging on the car (track days, autocross, quite a few jumps, and driving my car out onto a rather rough rally stage).
What is their max camber setting?
Old May 11, 2005, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry if its a dumb question, but can camber plates be used with coilovers?

I'm planning on getting the TEIN FLEX coilovers but not sure if camber plates will work w/them.
Old May 11, 2005, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bogie
What is their max camber setting?
Depends what holes you use for the 4 allen bolts; with the washers included, a bit over -3 degrees. I could move 2 of the bolts into holes closer to the other two bolts (sorry it's a bit hard to explain) though I might have to do something about the washers (since they might overlap) around those bolts, and get another fair chunk of negative camber. -3 seems good enough for my purposes anyway (combination of auto-x, track, and daily driving).

Originally Posted by illegalakkord
Sorry if its a dumb question, but can camber plates be used with coilovers?

I'm planning on getting the TEIN FLEX coilovers but not sure if camber plates will work w/them.
Generally, yes, camber plates and coilovers go together. However don't the Tein Flex already come with camber plates? In some cases there are fitment issues. The WORKS camber plates/upper mounts are basically bolt-in substitutes for the stock upper mounts. So anything that fits the stock upper mounts (including most coilovers) should fit the WORKS camber plates. I've heard of a few people having some fitment issues with Ohlins coilovers in combination with the Ground Control camber plates; apparently you need some custom-sized nut in order to make it work. Also, it's possible some coilovers are designed only to fit the camber plates/upper mounts that they come with.

Interestingly enough, the cheaper coilovers tend to come with camber plates, while the more expensive ones don't.
Old May 11, 2005, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Does anybody have a "How to" on the Ground Control camber/caster plates with stock struts? I was told the GC camber plates will work, but...I don't think so.

http://www.forcedfed.com/evo/camberp...ndcontrol.html
Old May 12, 2005, 06:56 AM
PPI
Former Sponsor

I have the WORKS camber plates and they've worked quite well for me, and held up perfectly despite my flogging on the car (track days, autocross, quite a few jumps, and driving my car out onto a rather rough rally stage).
I am glad you posted in this thread. I just started auto x-ing this year and I think camber plates with the stock struts is what I am looking for. I will be going with Espelir GT springs though.

If i understand the way these work, people align the car with their normal street alignment (maybe -1.5 camber). Then when they get to the track or auto-x they loosen the camber plates and go to max -x camber...3is plus degrees. And then adjust it back for the ride home.

Do I understand this correctly?

Are you on stock springs? If not would like to hear your thoughts on the setup you have. Are you on stock sway bars?

Thanks,Wayne
Old May 12, 2005, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Depends what holes you use for the 4 allen bolts; with the washers included, a bit over -3 degrees. I could move 2 of the bolts into holes closer to the other two bolts (sorry it's a bit hard to explain) though I might have to do something about the washers (since they might overlap) around those bolts, and get another fair chunk of negative camber. -3 seems good enough for my purposes anyway (combination of auto-x, track, and daily driving).

Generally, yes, camber plates and coilovers go together. However don't the Tein Flex already come with camber plates? In some cases there are fitment issues. The WORKS camber plates/upper mounts are basically bolt-in substitutes for the stock upper mounts. So anything that fits the stock upper mounts (including most coilovers) should fit the WORKS camber plates. I've heard of a few people having some fitment issues with Ohlins coilovers in combination with the Ground Control camber plates; apparently you need some custom-sized nut in order to make it work. Also, it's possible some coilovers are designed only to fit the camber plates/upper mounts that they come with.

Interestingly enough, the cheaper coilovers tend to come with camber plates, while the more expensive ones don't.

Thanks a bunch! I'm going to find out if the flex come with it.

Old May 12, 2005, 07:35 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by manOfaith
If i understand the way these work, people align the car with their normal street alignment (maybe -1.5 camber). Then when they get to the track or auto-x they loosen the camber plates and go to max -x camber...3is plus degrees. And then adjust it back for the ride home.
If only! Changing the camber also changes the toe: too much toe-in. You really have to compromise and pick something you can live with during the season on track and off. But some folks are running -3 and not having problems with tire wear. I'm running -2.5 and it seems OK so far, but I'll change it for the winter.

Dave
Old May 12, 2005, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks, but I have already seen that, moreover, that link only provides general info, not installation instructions.

I, and the alignment guy--who only does alignments--could not get the Ground Control camber/caster plates to work with the stock struts. We are both open to suggestions--printed instructions would be particularly welcomed. I don't think the GC plates are a simple "bolt-on" plate.

Last edited by Bogie; May 12, 2005 at 07:49 AM.
Old May 12, 2005, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks, I can envision exactly what you are explaining Since the GC don't seem to work with a stock set-up--unless somebody unequivocally shows me otherwise--I will be considering other plates shortly and would like at least -2.5 degrees.
Old May 12, 2005, 08:04 AM
djh
Evolving Member

I, and the alignment guy--who only does alignments--could not get the Ground Control camber/caster plates to work with the stock struts.
Maybe I missed it, but what, exactly, "doesn't work?" With the Works plates you get a ~5mm spacer that goes between the top spring perch and plate (to match the stock ride height, I guess), a collar that fits in the spherical bearing, and a new top nut. Is it just a wrong collar or nut with the GC plates?

Dave
Old May 12, 2005, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

I've heard of a few people having some fitment issues with Ohlins coilovers in combination with the Ground Control camber plates; apparently you need some custom-sized nut in order to make it work.

I only know of one person with GC plates and Ohlins... The nut used to bolt the plate to the strut had to be modified to fit. My guess is that its due to the thrust bearing. Worth the effort if you ask me.

Other than that minor issue, the Ground control plates fit fine.

As for the cheaper units having camber plates with the kit, that's true, but remember, you get what you pay for. As far as coilovers go, anything under $2k and your not buying that much... IMHO, it's worth the effort to save the money for the higher quality struts.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by djh
Maybe I missed it, but what, exactly, "doesn't work?" With the Works plates you get a ~5mm spacer that goes between the top spring perch and plate (to match the stock ride height, I guess), a collar that fits in the spherical bearing, and a new top nut. Is it just a wrong collar or nut with the GC plates?

Dave
With the GC plates, it appears as if the spacer, et al are replacements for the top spring perch. There are simply too many parts with the Ground Control plates to be compatible with the stock setup. It looks as though the GC parts are a replacement for the top spring perch, but they are not manufactured as a perch. In essence we were trying to fit 3" of GC hardware into a 1.5" space.

I, and Todd from Thalmann's Alignment--props for not gouging me for the time spent taking the strut off and messing with the plates, and in the end merely aligning the suspension, would be more than happy to be proven wrong, these are nice plates, I'd like to use them. If somebody has instructions--calls to Vivid have yielded 0 results--it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Bogie; May 12, 2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Just an FYI. I put on the Tein Camber plates on my stock strut car and they fit well and was able to get -3.5 from them. Good product for the $160.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by instigator
Just an FYI. I put on the Tein Camber plates on my stock strut car and they fit well and was able to get -3.5 from them. Good product for the $160.
I almost bought those, I still might, unless there isn't a simple fix in order to get the Ground Control to fit.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:16 AM
djh
Evolving Member

It looks as though the GC parts are a replacement for the top spring perch, but they are not manufactured as a perch. In essence we were trying to fit 3" of GC hardware into a 1.5" space.
That's interesting. Too much of a good thing, I guess. Does their top plate have a "D" cutout to lock the strut piston? Can you post a photo of all the bits?

Dave