Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need help! CAMBER PLATES??

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogie
I almost bought those, I still might, unless there isn't a simple fix in order to get the Ground Control to fit.
I have a set of new (not installed) Works camber plates. Interested in a trade for your Ground Control? I'll need you to measure the id of the bearing and the total length in mm.

Dave
Old May 12, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a dumb question, but how does one adjust the camber plate bolts for negative camber?

My zeals came w/ it and I only got -1 degree at front corner, strictly from stock concentric bolts...did'nt even touch the camber plates!

Old May 12, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silencer
I have a set of new (not installed) Works camber plates. Interested in a trade for your Ground Control? I'll need you to measure the id of the bearing and the total length in mm.

Dave
Interested, but I will need some cash as well. I'm off to work now and have a track event wit the PCA at Blackhawk Friday--would have loved to try -2.5 camber. Can I get the info Saturday?
Old May 12, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Will do. PM me Sat. and we will talk then.

Dave
Old May 12, 2005, 10:46 AM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by instigator
Just an FYI. I put on the Tein Camber plates on my stock strut car and they fit well and was able to get -3.5 from them. Good product for the $160.

Where did you get these at? So do you simply adjust them and give them more camber on race day?

Do the Advans respond well to more camber, or is it mostly for race tyres?
Old May 12, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by manOfaith
Where did you get these at? So do you simply adjust them and give them more camber on race day?

Do the Advans respond well to more camber, or is it mostly for race tyres?
I don't drive the car much on the street, so we just set it at -3.5 and 1/16 toe out and leave it. Turn in was much better than the -1.5 and zero toe. Changing the camber at the track has such a dramatic effect on toe that it just isn't worth it. Seeing as how I've only put 2000 miles ont ehcar since last August, tire wear isn't too much of a problem.

Oh and I got them from http://www.wiredspeed.com/index.asp. They shipped them 2nd day the day I ordered them.

I am running Toyo RA-1s, so I can't speak for the Advans. I can't imagine any tire not liking more contact patch in a turn though.

Last edited by instigator; May 12, 2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old May 12, 2005, 11:48 AM
PPI
Former Sponsor

/\ thanks for the response. Unfortunately that was not the answer I wanted to hear. I was hoping adjusting them for track days would only affect camber. Oh well, doesn't seem like they will work for me.
Old May 12, 2005, 12:06 PM
djh
Evolving Member

I was hoping adjusting them for track days would only affect camber. Oh well, doesn't seem like they will work for me.
Not so fast. Having "too much" camber on the street is a lot better than too little on the track! So you get your alignment done twice a year, that's not excessive.

Dave
Old May 12, 2005, 12:27 PM
PPI
Former Sponsor

/\ I guess i should of been more clear. I only auto x right now....was thinking of getting aligned with camber plates with about -1.5 front camber and when I auto x (about 6-8 a yr.) i max out my camber adjustment with the plates......

I figured with -2.5 to -3.5 front camber it would destroy my tires...if i had it aligned that way for every day driving.
Old May 12, 2005, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

I was told by my alignment guy and a few others that for every -1 degree of camber that I add at the track, it woud toe in about 1/4".
Old May 12, 2005, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jfh
Evos come stock with eccentric bolts to increase the range of camber adjustment to a max of about -1.7 to -1.8 degrees. It does not come stock with camber plates which can give you significantly more range than that depending on the rest of your suspension components.

The most you can get is about -1.6

I have the works plates, and they are fantastic. I'm running -2.5, but only drive the car occasionally on the street, as it is primarily a track car.

Percy
Old May 12, 2005, 01:10 PM
djh
Evolving Member

I figured with -2.5 to -3.5 front camber it would destroy my tires...if i had it aligned that way for every day driving.
Well, nunquam timeus (or something like that). I think scottybob is running -3 with no problems, and I've already mentioned I'm at -2.5.

Dave
Old May 12, 2005, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
/\ I guess i should of been more clear. I only auto x right now....was thinking of getting aligned with camber plates with about -1.5 front camber and when I auto x (about 6-8 a yr.) i max out my camber adjustment with the plates......

Having too much camber doesn't eat your tires, having toe in or out does. Zero out your toe Front and Rear and you should be fine .... having too much camber will wear the insides a little faster but it will even out when you go auto-xing, as you will wear the outsides quickly ...
Old May 12, 2005, 03:05 PM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Thanks guys, very helpfull posts....looks like I am back in the market for camber plates for my stock struts and Espelir springs.

Looks like Tein or Works are the best deal for stock struts...
Old May 12, 2005, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
I only know of one person with GC plates and Ohlins... The nut used to bolt the plate to the strut had to be modified to fit. My guess is that its due to the thrust bearing. Worth the effort if you ask me.
Actually, you know two--Navid and Joe M. both have this setup, and both needed the same solution to make it work. I think Joe was able to get the custom nut he needed from GC; Navid was in a hurry so he had to make it himself. I agree it's worth it--looks like a high-quality piece.