Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

KW Suspension Variant 3 (Inox)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KZEVO
but how will the KW's perform against a professionally tuned JIC setup by John M.? The quality will be 100% better than the JICs but what about the setup which is a key on our cars unlike cars that come stock with crappy suspension and respond well to untuned suspension.

That's what's kept me from spending money on coilover yet as I would like a better quality like K&W, but would want a pro like John M. to set it up.

John Mueller, Robi...any comments?
I agree that John Mueller is a master at setting up suspension. RRE's website says that they will setup other brands of coilovers but it is done strictly on an hourly basis. You could email John and see what he might be willing to do. I don't know where you live, but it would probably require bringing the car to CA.

I'm happy to give you my Variant 3 settings, that were done by the senior racing engineer at KW if you like. They worked great in my autocross last weekend. Car was so well balanced that I didn't need to adjust anything. One other thing when installing any coilovers- take careful ride height measurements on each corner before changing anything. Than once you've installed the new coilovers be very careful to not lower the rear of the car too much. The warning I was provided by several Evo race suspension people was not to lower the rear more than 0.75" and front around 1.25". My car could be lowered more. It is only 0.25" lower in rear and 5/8" lower in front.

You may only be happy with the JICs, if you need the Mueller setup and can't work it out for him to tune the KW's. I don't know if you plan to autocross. If so, JIC's are not going to cut it beyond the regional level. Before getting the KW's, I was considering JIC. Two national-level autocross drivers I spoke with, one who used JICs last year and has switched to Ohlins, thought that JIC coilovers were not up to National-level competition. I think this is primarily because the compression and rebound are adjusted at the same time with a single adjustment. You are always having to compromise for this shortcoming.

Coilover choice is tough unless money is no object, you can buy the best hardware and take the car whereever it needs to be taken to have it setup.

Mark
Old Mar 14, 2005, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8RA
I've been talking with Tom at KW North America and the Variant 3 coilover suspension (w/ separate compression/rebound adjustments) for the EVO 8 is finished and is in final test. It will be available for sale in the U.S. in approximately one month.
Awesome.

The warning I was provided by several Evo race suspension people was not to lower the rear more than 0.75" and front around 1.25".
I've heard conflicting things on lowering. Some say to keep the drop the same from front to back, others say that dropping the nose more is alright. Does the spring rate determine what you can do?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 09:29 AM

Any price?

T
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by speedomodel
I've heard conflicting things on lowering. Some say to keep the drop the same from front to back, others say that dropping the nose more is alright. Does the spring rate determine what you can do?
I'm no suspension expert, but I would think the total amount you drop the front/rear and how much you lower them in relation to each other, is affected by spring rate and individual driving style, to a point. The Evo suspension design and roll center will dictate the max limits of lowering that will help handling, beyond which handling degrades. For now, I have to go with the recommendations of others who have tested and experienced different combinations of ride height change.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TomG
Any price?

T
I called to check. Pricing will be finalized before the EVO8 V3 coilovers are released in the next month, but is not at this time. I would think they would be somewhere around the $2225 figure on the website, but I'm only guessing.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

I called to check. Pricing will be finalized before the EVO8 V3 coilovers are released in the next month, but is not at this time. I would think they would be somewhere around the $2225 figure on the website, but I'm only guessing.
Any word yet on pricing? Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2005, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by speedomodel
Any word yet on pricing? Thanks!
I spoke with Tom at KW North America and he said the Evo V3's are still undergoing endurance testing. He said to check back with him in about three weeks (around 5/18/05).
Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:15 PM
Former Sponsor

these are now in the house and ready to set-up on your evo..!