Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Advan Neova's on my car now!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2005, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cefedgst
See if you have to shave them to get better performance that doesn't make alot of sense to me. If your running the tires as street/track tires you sure as hell don't want to shave off the little treadlife you have in the first place. If your looking for all out track tires I would get the A032.
i know exactly what you are thinking and i thought the same... but it doesnt quite apply to toyos in all cases. this is the part i cant explain since it was track people and vendors who told me about it.

maybe we can have a vendor with R compound expertise or someone with experience in toyo R1 chime in
Old May 17, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Toyo RA-1? What do you want me to chime in with? They were shaved before the first race, it doesn't seem to have shortened the tread life at all. (Basing that off of the claimed "track days" they should last)

Oh, and what deetz said is more than true, Autocrossing on RA-1s (or any TRACK tire) is probably WORSE than autocrossing on high performance street tires... My RA-1s feel like and drive like snow tires (and not the good ones either) with less squeal for at least 1 lap. I have never tried to Autocross on the RA-1s (my tire guru told me that would be a total waste for the above reasons) but I have driven around town on them when they were cold.

Last edited by UT_Evo; May 17, 2005 at 08:20 AM.
Old May 17, 2005, 10:36 AM

Yeah, i didn't notice the Toyo's that were being quoted were TA's not RA's sorry, my bad.

I guess the point I was trying to make are that current state-of-the-art street tire are blurring the line between strick R-compond track tires and all-time-all-purpose street tires. Hence they will also tend toward R-compond characteristics and quirks - like heat to get the most/ultimate stick.

If Neova's are truly this kind of "hybrid" street/track tire in the same heratige/lineage as the A046, it will have some idiosyncratic behaviors.
Old May 17, 2005, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

I just got the Neovas in 255/40-17 on 17 X 9 rims. They seem to grip really well. I am looking forward to an autocross to try them out.
Old May 17, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

A little off topic.... I feel your pain! I read all the great reviews on this site on the Michelin PS2 and decided to get them. Big mistake! They were exactly as you describe. Steering response gone. The intuitive confidence of the car's handling was gone. They gripped well, but I couldn't feel what the car was doing through the steering to push them really hard. More body roll, back end squirming around more. Plus the ride was bumpy and giggly. I couldn't dial in the tire pressures to smooth out the ride. I tried every combination of tire pressure mentioned on this website. I was very upset like you. I put 1000 miles on them thinking they would get better. They didn't. I brought them back to Discount Tire and traded them for A046s. All issues solved. I won't put anything else on my Evo.

What I realized is that different Evo owners have different opinions on what feels good. My top priority is steering reponse because that is what tells you what the car is doing. No steering response and you are guessing. That doesn't work for me. Why do you think Car and Driver said that the Evo is one of the only cars anyone can get into and drive fast. It's because of the way the Advans let you know exactly what the car is doing. I like the way the stock Advans feel. End of story.

I'm definitely not joking. I can't believe people are saying these are better than the A046's. The turn in on my EVO now feels similar to my wifes bone stock integra on 70,000 mile touring tires. I'm not saying they don't grip well, I'm just saying steering feedback is completely gone.
Old May 17, 2005, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by revolagoy
A little off topic.... I feel your pain! I read all the great reviews on this site on the Michelin PS2 and decided to get them. Big mistake! They were exactly as you describe. Steering response gone. The intuitive confidence of the car's handling was gone. They gripped well, but I couldn't feel what the car was doing through the steering to push them really hard. More body roll, back end squirming around more. Plus the ride was bumpy and giggly. I couldn't dial in the tire pressures to smooth out the ride. I tried every combination of tire pressure mentioned on this website. I was very upset like you. I put 1000 miles on them thinking they would get better. They didn't. I brought them back to Discount Tire and traded them for A046s. All issues solved. I won't put anything else on my Evo.

What I realized is that different Evo owners have different opinions on what feels good. My top priority is steering reponse because that is what tells you what the car is doing. No steering response and you are guessing. That doesn't work for me. Why do you think Car and Driver said that the Evo is one of the only cars anyone can get into and drive fast. It's because of the way the Advans let you know exactly what the car is doing. I like the way the stock Advans feel. End of story.
Thanks for your review on the PS2's. I've been going back and forth about getting those or another set of Advans. I love the steering response of my EVO. It is one of my favorite characteristics of the car. I'll be for sure getting another set of Advans!
Old May 17, 2005, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
Yeah, i didn't notice the Toyo's that were being quoted were TA's not RA's sorry, my bad.
Your bad on what? Do you mean you meant to say TAs and not RAs? Cuz everything you said totally applies to RA-1s, including that they're the best right before they cord. That is totally the point too, as soon as the local track is finished here, I will be changing tires and brake pads at home and driving out there on my RA-1s, they really do grip well in the wet too, assuming they have a decent amount of tread left (obviously).
Old May 17, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Your bad on what? Do you mean you meant to say TAs and not RAs? Cuz everything you said totally applies to RA-1s, including that they're the best right before they cord. That is totally the point too, as soon as the local track is finished here, I will be changing tires and brake pads at home and driving out there on my RA-1s, they really do grip well in the wet too, assuming they have a decent amount of tread left (obviously).
Yes, I was first commenting on the RA-1's. I think they are great for the track, and pretty great for the street too.

My bad on "not making the distinction on who was saying what about what tire."
When I re-read the earlier posts on this thread, the T-1's were referenced, and someone said they weren't too grippy. I thought he was saying the RA's weren't grippy. The RA's are grippy (like I said) if you get a bit of heat into them (as well as any R-compond)

Just trying to be clear.

Deetz.
Old May 17, 2005, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Aha, it all makes sense now

The RAs are the best for the track, if you're on a budget, usually the track dedicated tires that last 1 event are THE best for the track, but at the price of the RA-1s and needing to be replaced every event gets expensive, whereas the RA-1s claim to have 16 track days of use, I've got about 10 and mine are still kicking strong
Old May 17, 2005, 03:58 PM

I don't think the MPSC's get enough respect from the "Asian sector". They wear like iron, are best in grip ('cept Hoosiers), and work well on 3000lb cars. But, take long to heat, no good in standing rain or cold, expensive but worth it in dry.

Toyo RA-1's have less ultimate grip, but get better with wear till they cord, wear almost as well, heat up fast, good in rain unshaved, cheap.

Yolk Advans/Neova are a great street tire, great in wet, approaching RA-1 in grip, great life and responsivness.

Tough decisions - tisk tisk.

Deetz.
Old May 17, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

what do you guys about the BF Goodrich G-Force KDW, they are Y rated (up to 186mph) but how do they grip compared to the stock advans
Old May 17, 2005, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

No problem.

Originally Posted by marksae
Thanks for your review on the PS2's. I've been going back and forth about getting those or another set of Advans. I love the steering response of my EVO. It is one of my favorite characteristics of the car. I'll be for sure getting another set of Advans!
Old May 18, 2005, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by revolagoy

By trade, do you mean Discount tire took the Michelins back and swapped for the A046s for just the difference in price?
Old May 18, 2005, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, that is what I meant. The manager recommended the PS2s. I told him about the problems I was having and he exchanged them for the price difference. I bought the PS2s for $180 a tire and ended up getting the Advans for about $250 mounted, balanced, and tax. It was a small price to pay to get the Advans back on my car.

By trade, do you mean Discount tire took the Michelins back and swapped for the A046s for just the difference in price?