Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Falken Azenis 615 vs. Toyo T1-S vs. Stock Advans

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2005, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by race17k
i have the falkens on my car and they are nice! havent really put them to the test against the stock advans but they seem great so far and the tread pattern is sweet!
I know you probably havent tested the ultimate grip of the falkens yet, but how do they compare to the advans in terms of strearing response and feel? Would you say the sidewalls are as stiff?
Old May 1, 2005, 08:12 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
i just got another set of 17X9s and have 255 40 17 RT-615s...new gt35r isn't on yet but will be soon and we will see how those compare vs. the millions of tires i have tried including a032r (hards) for street use.
Dave
Old May 1, 2005, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wthoevo8
How's the ra-1 compare to the oem advan as far as turn in are concern??? Thanks!
ra-1's blows them out of the water i feel more confident with the toyo's into turns.stock advans were good also,but the toyos stick better. you feel them glue to the road for sure
Old May 1, 2005, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rez90
how many miles can you get on a set of RA-1's before they have to be replaced?
depends on your driving.if you like turning crazy on the streets often,i say 5k or a little more.if you drive normal without going crazy over 10k maybe more.it's all on how you drive.if you track the car hard,maybe 2500 probably less
Old May 2, 2005, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo81
depends on your driving.if you like turning crazy on the streets often,i say 5k or a little more.if you drive normal without going crazy over 10k maybe more.it's all on how you drive.if you track the car hard,maybe 2500 probably less
I have just over 7k on mine. It looks like I'll be able to get at least 10k from them perhaps more if I don't have to drive in the rain when the tread gets low. My only complaint is the amount of rocks they throw around. You'll have more chipped paint with these for sure.
Old May 2, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

I put a set of the T1-S Toyos on last week. I already posted this in another thread but my initial reaction was that the Toyos didn't respond to steering input as quickly as the Advans. I'm sure this is due to a slightly softer sidewall.

I don't track my car, it's a daily driver (60+miles/day) and it currently stock. There is a new track being built out here that will be the longest road course in the country. I'm VERY interested in this and I'm sure my car will see track time when its completed but I will still probably keep my mods pretty tame. So since it mainly just a daily driver, I couldn't justify $220/tire for the Advans every 9 months. I needed something that would last longer than that and wouldn't give up too much performance.

After having the Toyos on the car for almost two weeks now, I will say that I am really impressed with them. They are quieter and ride nicer than the Advans and I've had a chance to push them through some good turns to test their grip. I can tell they don't stick quite as well as the Advans but they still have EXCELLENT grip.

At first I was disappointed with them, but that past after a couple days and I'm really liking the tires now. If I can get some decent life out of them they will probably be my summer performance tire of choice for quite a while.
Old May 2, 2005, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evodave
i just got another set of 17X9s and have 255 40 17 RT-615s...new gt35r isn't on yet but will be soon and we will see how those compare vs. the millions of tires i have tried including a032r (hards) for street use.
Dave
Let me know how that goes, thats the exact setup Im thinking of getting, thanks
Old May 2, 2005, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

what is the price difference between the T1-s and the new falken azenis tires? you should consider that too..

I have the previous falken azenis tires (RT 215) and they work wonders..although the only thing I can compare the tires to is the stock goodyears that came with the lancers..and they sucked.
Old May 2, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

what is the price difference between the T1-s and the new falken azenis tires? you should consider that too..
I paid $135/tire for the Toyos from www.onlinetires.com
Old May 2, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

what were the dimensions of the tire?
Old May 2, 2005, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

eh....I just got the stock size. 235/45/R17
Old May 2, 2005, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

ok, from www.vulcantire.com , the 225/45/17 RT615's are $154 a tire, 245/45/17 are $159 a tire. they dont have the RT615's in 235.
Old May 14, 2005, 05:12 AM

Be aware that the Toyo T1-S are being replaced by the T1-R. Not sure about the load rating, but they do have some lower profile options than the Azenis 215 or 615s. WRXs have seen some success in SCCA autocross street tire class (STX) by using the Falken 451s shaved and lower profile. I expect that the T1-R should be about the same.

It's an interesting trade-off... The tread on the T1-R/451s is not as sticky, but shaving them helps a bit with that. The sidewall construction isn't as firm, but the lower profile helps with that. So you are left with an advantage in lighter weight that the Azenis/Advans can't match. Of course, there's the gearing difference to deal with, depending on your application.

By the way, the other main reason to go with the Azenis 615s over the 215s is the tolerance to heat build up.

None of them are going to be quite as good as the RA1s, but those aren't legal for street tire competition.