Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

RRE BuddyClub suspension thoughts pls.

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRE BuddyClub suspension thoughts pls.

I have been in touch with RRE, and im about to purchase their buddyclub setup. I am ready to put my money where my mouth is, but just want to get more fuel to my fire from people that know.

The pricing if fine by me considering what you get, I just want someone to tell me that Im an idiot for not having these on my car yet.

FWIW, im going for a nice street/roadrace car that will get the occasional autoX. I put very little mileage on my car, and could care less about replacing tires every season. I should have a healthy 300WHP in the near future, and only plan to go hog wild on the motor if something drastic happens.

Anyone want to give me some input? Quality of the coilovers? Thanks for affirming my decision.

BTW- i am going with these instead of a set of Ohlins
Old May 4, 2005, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

I am very interested in this setup also, but havent been able to get much feedback on these coils from evo owners.

Bump for a response!
Old May 4, 2005, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

i am 99.9% sure i am getting the setup, just want some more feedback before i sing off on $2000+ setup.

Ill do a nice comparison once i get em on and aligned (same day, already setup). I have a nice camera, and will take some nice and proper pics.

So many SoCal guys run these apparently. Robi's posts have me prettymuch sold.
Old May 4, 2005, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

there buddyclubs with the spring rate like there JIC coil over set up.should be just as good if not better.i have them coming soon
Old May 4, 2005, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Serge I would love to check them out when you get them, im right over the mass line in CT.
Old May 4, 2005, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

I have been in contact with RRE myself this past week......im pretty tossed on it myelf....very few people are running the new buddyclubs, i can't get an answer out of anyone yet on them......im hesitant only due to the fact its really a 1100 dollar coilover(buddyclub)..that has been reworked......and your paying a **** load more. I know John is a master at tuning suspension...perhaps the best.......but then there are other coilovers out ther like Zeals, Cusco, its hard for me to cough up 2000+ on Buddyclubs......im just gonna have a little patience here until a few more people get them or until i at least get a ride!!
Old May 4, 2005, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about buddyclub but for that kind of money I would go with a premium brand like Zeal.

I just installed Zeal function Xs and it's definitely worthwhile! Rides smooth and more comfy than stock yet handles much better - hugs the road. And I did'nt even aligned it yet. Came with camber plates - everything needed, plus they're rebuildable in US. Adjustable dampers is really nice, can set it soft or firm or between.

I've heard some coilover including JIC, they'll ride like a pogo sticks...

GL!
Old May 4, 2005, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spyderx
I don't know about buddyclub but for that kind of money I would go with a premium brand like Zeal.

I just installed Zeal function Xs and it's definitely worthwhile! Rides smooth and more comfy than stock yet handles much better - hugs the road. And I did'nt even aligned it yet. Came with camber plates - everything needed, plus they're rebuildable in US. Adjustable dampers is really nice, can set it soft or firm or between.

I've heard some coilover including JIC, they'll ride like a pogo sticks...

GL!
you are missing the whole concept of a customed valved coilover. jdm super trash cant touch what a custom valved coilover will do. note my sig, i have jics, they are less than great. but people love rre's jics.

i hope this thread ends up providing some usefull info, cuz socalevo's gang ruined the thread they had going on these new buddy clubs.

edit...not hating on the zeals..everything else tho..lol.

Last edited by leif; May 4, 2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old May 4, 2005, 10:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Go to SoCalEvo.net. There's much more info over there on the BuddyCLub set-up. And you're not just getting a set of BuddyClubs. You're getting a set of BuddyClubs built to John's specs (read custom spring rates and valving). Supposedly they're better than the JICs (that's why they're switching).
Old May 5, 2005, 04:10 AM
Evolving Member

Just wanted to clear a misconseption about BuddyClub pricing: cheapest i've seen them is $1549 through 500whp.com, so a pre-setup custom valved custom sprung package with a few bushings and a new rear swaybar is actually quite a good deal. It would cost much more to do it yourself.

I also wanted to say that AMS is running them on their modifiedcarmag car, and they say the quality is excellent.
Old May 5, 2005, 12:58 PM

Here is the link about the buddyclubs developed for RRE

http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8780
Old May 5, 2005, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

My .02 worth..

Several people who shall stay unamed that I respect did not give ANY of the Japanese coilover companies a very high rating based on the fact that they are produced for much smoother roads the the US. They also highly recommended Ohlins of any kind as a preference based on their valving. I think most of us know the quaity of Ohlins but not all of us can drop the coin.

Lastly, this may not be the right place for this comment but I am slightly dissapointed with RRE and may as well let you know my experience. I called over 9 months ago and spoke to John and was treated a little rough (I also understand he fields lot's of "wasted time" no buy customer calls). Once I convinced him I was 42 years old and "ready to buy" he gave me a bit more time. Not much. He said he would call me the next day but he actually called me back 10 days later and spent about 10 minutes with me on the phone. At that time I offered a CC number to purchase his recommended JIC package and settings etc.. HE WOULDN'T TAKE MY CARD......I have been in retail for 25 years and have never seen a retailer refuse a $2500.00 sale because he was too busy! He assured he would put my name in his "folder" and get back to me when his schedule loosened up. Needless to say I was so put off by his attitude and business practices I decided NOT to spend a dime with RRE. Lastly, about a month ago I got an email saying that I was still on RRE's list and to stay tuned. I replied to it and didn't get a response. Make your own judgements because I am sure there are many satisfied RRE customers but the refusal to sell me something was ridiculous. I am sure there is more the one Evo suspension "guru" out there for us.
Old May 5, 2005, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Michael Adair
I am sure there is more the one Evo suspension "guru" out there for us.

hell yeah, there is more than one guru... =)
Old May 5, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

michael-
RRE was having major problems back then with JIC, and im sure they were frustrated to no end. It must be tough having a talent but not being able to use it because of a crappy supplier. It sucks that you didnt have a great experience.

nils-
wondering how you're setup is. I remember trolling around and seeing you post something up. Ill have to take a look.

EvilKenevo-
thanks for the link. I read it a few days ago, but was kind of upset that there was no real feedback on the thread, just people being excited about the new setup.

Ohlins coilovers are not out of the question still. I just want a suspension that is almost dialed for my car when i get it. I work like crazy, and dont have time to take a few laps around my backroads, make adjustments, and go out again... good way to make my favorite roads really 'hot'. Plus, tuning will just end up costing me more money.

My budget is around $2500 at my door. If anyone has any suggestions, DO ME A FAVOR and voice your opinion. I only want to spend this money once, and i want my car to perform better NOW.

Thanks.
Old May 5, 2005, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

SERGE03--- would you still be interested in these Buddyclub Coilovers if they were not custom tuned by RRE???

Quick Reply: RRE BuddyClub suspension thoughts pls.