Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Will camber plates OR"aftermarket eccentric bolts" fix chronicly UNEVEN front camber?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2005, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will camber plates OR"aftermarket eccentric bolts" fix chronicly UNEVEN front camber?

Originally Posted by erioshi
The eccentric bolts (in the front) are designed to only provide a full 1 dgree camber change. They are all in or all out. The Evo's rear suspension has adjustable eccentric bolts that provide graduated camber changes and they can be adjusted in fine increments.
What Erioshi wrote above is exactly what the alignment tech at my local shop tells me: the front may only be set at -1 or -2. I chose -2. However, my car chronically pulls to the right, despite the fact that the alignment tech tried several times to even-out the camber.

Current settings of front:
Left: -2.3
Right: -2.0

The tech says that's 'close enough' and that such a slight difference should not cause my car to pull to the right. Is he correct? He also claims that since the front camber may only either be set on -1 or -2, "finer" adjustments are not possible without getting an aftermarket "adjustable" camber something or other. Is he talking about a camber plate, or something else? Above, Erioshi wrote that the rear has "adjustable eccentric bolts that provide graduated changes and they can be adjusted in fine increments"...is fixing my 'right pull' just as simple as installing some of those bolts on the front, which would then allow the tech to even out the alignment? Is that what the tech is taking about?

The tech in question works at Firestone. I purchased a lifteime alignment and since then brought it in 3 times, and still my evo pulls to the right (and yes--I've checked my tire pressure). I'm SO frustrated!

(Also, will the pull to the right cause any longterm damage after driving it it thousands of miles on the highway?)

Any help is very, very appreciated. A search of the board yielded no information which is directly on point to my issue. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TexasRS; May 14, 2005 at 09:31 AM.
Old May 14, 2005, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has the car been in an accident?
Old May 14, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Nope. Why?
Old May 14, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

That small difference in camber will not cause your call to pull one side. Tell Firestone to adjust the toe to get the car pulling straight. If they know what they are doing, or not lazy, they can do it.
Old May 14, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As others have said, a slight difference in camber should NOT cause your car to track left or right. Bent suspension components can do it. So can toe if it's wildly off.

However, it sounds to me like the problem might be uneven tire wear. That's generally the problem when someone has an alignment that checks out OK but the car pulls to one side. Examine your tires for signs of uneven/excessive wear. Try rotating your tires and see if that helps.

Emre
Old May 14, 2005, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TexasRS
Nope. Why?
Just trying to rule out bent suspension parts or misaligned chassis / frame.
Old May 14, 2005, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, so it might be my toe rather than my camber? Here's my specs--> Is my toe 'off' enough to make it pull?:

FrontL FrontR RearL RearR
Camber -2.3 -2.0 -0.9 -1.0
Caster 3.7 3.9
Toe -0.01 -0.01 0.10 0.13

Does anyone see anything about these specs that would be making the car pull right?

Thanks again.

Last edited by TexasRS; May 14, 2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old May 14, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TexasRS
Does anyone see anything about these specs that would be making the car pull right?
No, that all looks fine. Again, I'd be willing to bet it's your tires.

Emre
Old May 14, 2005, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Could it be the tires even though I've only got 4,000 miles on them? (they're aftermarket all-seasons)? If so, The rememdy would be to rotate them?
Old May 14, 2005, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

When I said to adjust the toe, I meant they might not have aligned the car while the steering wheel was straight while on their rack. The toe may be right (on paper/spec), but the steering wheel is off. Any alignment shop *should* be able to adjust the alignment to your specs and make the car track straight. If you are sure they did that, then it could either be uneven tire wear or some bent suspension component as other have suggested.
Old May 15, 2005, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sophis
When I said to adjust the toe, I meant they might not have aligned the car while the steering wheel was straight while on their rack. The toe may be right (on paper/spec), but the steering wheel is off. Any alignment shop *should* be able to adjust the alignment to your specs and make the car track straight. If you are sure they did that, then it could either be uneven tire wear or some bent suspension component as other have suggested.
Wow--I did not know this. no, I'm nit sure they did that! The alignment tech seems green under the ears!, so I don't know. I might just go to a different firestone...Thanks.