Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

MR Springs Feedback Thread , Got springs on ur MR? GO HERE!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2005, 03:32 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO MR FU
anyone tried swift springs?
We have just recently put Swift Springs on one of our customer's MR and I must say I am VERY impressed. They are a perfect complement to the MR's Bilstein's, even more so than the Espelir GT.

They are just as aggressive and lower the car about 20%. Definitely not slammage but the ride quality is among the best I've ever experienced.

Yes, we are a Swift dealer but my opinion is not biased because of that. We carry Espelir products as well but IMHO, Swift wins on the spring battle hands down.

Francis@aspec
Old Jun 29, 2005, 07:51 AM

Can you be a little more specific as to why you say they're better? What's the drop front and back, do they maintain the rake? what are the spring rates? are they progressive?

You simply saying they're better isn't enough to sway me towards them. Right now I'm pretty convinced on the Espelir GT's, especially from the first hand consumer reviews, and the fact that one of them has used the spring for the purpose that I intend to... autox

-Ray

Originally Posted by A-SPEC
We have just recently put Swift Springs on one of our customer's MR and I must say I am VERY impressed. They are a perfect complement to the MR's Bilstein's, even more so than the Espelir GT.

They are just as aggressive and lower the car about 20%. Definitely not slammage but the ride quality is among the best I've ever experienced.

Yes, we are a Swift dealer but my opinion is not biased because of that. We carry Espelir products as well but IMHO, Swift wins on the spring battle hands down.

Francis@aspec
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:29 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RayBaer
Can you be a little more specific as to why you say they're better? What's the drop front and back, do they maintain the rake? what are the spring rates? are they progressive?

You simply saying they're better isn't enough to sway me towards them. Right now I'm pretty convinced on the Espelir GT's, especially from the first hand consumer reviews, and the fact that one of them has used the spring for the purpose that I intend to... autox

-Ray

What I don't like about the Espelir's is the fact that they are not designed for the MR's softer suspension (yes, the Bilsteins are softer). The rates of the Espelir are really designed for a non-MR Evo with more aggressively valved shocks. So, putting a spring to a shock that is not designed to withstand the stiffer rate can ultimately result in shock damage. Also, the drop of the Espelir springs reduces the overall travel of the stock shock so the dampening ability is reduced. All this translates into rougher (albeit more aggressive) ride with risk of damage to the OEM Bilsteins.

The advertised rate for the Swifts is as follows: 4.8kg/mm front, 5.6kg/mm rear, -35mm drop front, -20mm rear. Again, these rates have been specifically designed for the MR's less aggressive valving. Also, the decreased drop will maximize the travel of the shock so there is no short stroking whatsoever. Swifts H5S.TW is within 3% of the spring rate from 20% stroke to 70% stroke (the average stroke range for most road race motorsports). Swift tests the spring rate through the entire stroke to provide the best of the best.

As far as construction goes, the Espelir (and most other springs on the market) is a hot wound spring using standard silicone-chrome materials. Hot winding means that the spring is super heated in order to coil. This actually weakens the springs strength and makes it more brittle as it is heated and cooled. Swift's are cold wound to preserve the tensile strength. Furthermore, the silicone-chrome alloy is much heaver than the H5S.TW alloy that Swift uses and requires more material and more coils to achieve the desired rate. Bottom line is the Swifts are lighter (about 1.5-2lbs each) and stronger.

Like I said before, I'm not biased towards Swift simply because we sell them. We are an official dealer of Swift as well as Espelir. I'm just stating my opinions from a consumer standpoint.

For more information about Swift, check out http://www.swiftsprings.com/index.as...on=Custom&ID=3 . There is a wealth of information there that will probably help out.

Ultimately, you need to try them for yourself. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Francis@aspec

Last edited by A-SPEC; Jun 30, 2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 01:21 PM

Francis, got pics?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

What I don't like about the Espelir's is the fact that they are not designed for the MR's softer suspension (yes, the Bilsteins are softer). The rates of the Espelir are really designed for a non-MR Evo with more aggressively valved shocks. So, putting a spring to a shock that is not designed to withstand the stiffer rate can ultimately result in shock damage. Also, the drop of the Espelir springs reduces the overall travel of the stock shock so the dampening ability is reduced. All this translates into rougher (albeit more aggressive) ride with risk of damage to the OEM Bilsteins.

The advertised rate for the Swifts is as follows: 4.8kg/mm front, 5.6kg/mm rear, -35mm drop front, -20mm rear. Again, these rates have been specifically designed for the MR's less aggressive valving. Also, the decreased drop will maximize the travel of the shock so there is no short stroking whatsoever. Swifts H5S.TW is within 3% of the spring rate from 20% stroke to 70% stroke (the average stroke range for most road race motorsports). Swift tests the spring rate through the entire stroke to provide the best of the best.

As far as construction goes, the Espelir (and most other springs on the market) is a hot wound spring using standard silicone-chrome materials. Hot winding means that the spring is super heated in order to coil. This actually weakens the springs strength and makes it more brittle as it is heated and cooled. Swift's are cold wound to preserve the tensile strength. Furthermore, the silicone-chrome alloy is much heaver than the H5S.TW alloy that Swift uses and requires more material and more coils to achieve the desired rate. Bottom line is the Swifts are lighter (about 1.5-2lbs each) and stronger.

Like I said before, I'm not biased towards Swift simply because we sell them. We are an official dealer of Swift as well as Espelir. I'm just stating my opinions from a consumer standpoint.

For more information about Swift, check out http://www.swiftsprings.com/index.as...on=Custom&ID=3 . There is a wealth of information there that will probably help out.

Regards,

Francis@aspec

Francis is making a good point. I have an 03 that is basically a track car, and I am having the "robispec" set up put together as we speak. the shock rates are stiffer on the GSR. not so sure that I would upgrade to anything but coilovers if I had an MR. I drove a friends 03 with the Espelir GT's and it blew me away....much better pairing with the stock shocks that the factory springs or Works springs, which I ahd been tracking with previously.

Percy
Old Jun 30, 2005, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

I need to know more about these spring choices, and also when installing lowering springs shouldn't you get a camber kit as well? i know tons of people with lowered cars and they get uneven tirewear (insides start balding) because you can't adjust the factory camber that much, wouldn't this also mean loss in cornering performance?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Those are exactly the reasons I won't upgrade the springs on the Bilsteins .... unless they provide less than a 20mm drop and are stiffer to compensate while matching the valve-rate of the Bilsteins .... again the springs would have to be proven to provide a neutral handling bias with no tendency to oversteer but understeer at the limit under all road conditions dry, wet and snow ... I don't think that is something a lot of companies can gaurantee ...
Old Jun 30, 2005, 04:26 PM

Francis@aspec

So now why don't I see swift springs on your site? Swift site has them for $380.... a bit pricey for springs.

and wasn't one of the reasons the MR was better than the GSR it's stiffer suspension?

Last edited by RayBaer; Jun 30, 2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

It looks like 500whp.com has them in $289.00
Hmmm a little to much, here is where I bought mine from. They were $200.00 and if I remember right $30.00 for shipping. This place is great!!! Awesome prices.
http://store.yahoo.com/rotorworks/activegtspring.html

Also this debate is going on and on and on. I got the Espelir actice GT springs on my MR and there awesome. They also fit the bilstein shocks with no problems, big plus! The drop isn't a huge drop, so the ride quality stays very close to stock in my opinion.

Some of you guys need to just try them and find out for yourself. User opinions will only take you so far. All I can say is I drive in Washington, DC with my car twice a week, in "pot hole city" lol, and the springs are great.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:57 PM

Francis,

Did you ship my Swift springs? Thanks!

-Gary

Regards,

Francis@aspec
Old Jul 1, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo Police
Hmmm a little to much, here is where I bought mine from. They were $200.00 and if I remember right $30.00 for shipping. This place is great!!! Awesome prices.
http://store.yahoo.com/rotorworks/activegtspring.html

Also this debate is going on and on and on. I got the Espelir actice GT springs on my MR and there awesome. They also fit the bilstein shocks with no problems, big plus! The drop isn't a huge drop, so the ride quality stays very close to stock in my opinion.

Some of you guys need to just try them and find out for yourself. User opinions will only take you so far. All I can say is I drive in Washington, DC with my car twice a week, in "pot hole city" lol, and the springs are great.

This is exactly why it's important to factor in the type of use the springs will be subjected to. Personally, if you do not intend to track the car a moderate amount, you have many options, Works, Tein, etc, and it's not going to make much difference. there is a big difference between the way any Evo handles on the road with spirited driving vs. on a racetrack at 8-10/10ths....

Percy
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea I was going to get the Esplier GT from a-spec but they are out of stock w/ no eta, they tried to give me a deal on the swift springs, But I was relunctant to try them as I havn't heard anything about those. Anyways , I think i might actually lean towards tein flex + edfc.....hmmm.....trying to find the right springs seems difficult, maybe its better just go coilovers
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:21 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by hooptee
Francis,

Did you ship my Swift springs? Thanks!

-Gary
I sure did! Along with your ARC Ti goodness! Tracking number to follow...check your PM's.

Thanks again Gary!

Francis@aspec
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:32 PM
Account Disabled

So now why don't I see swift springs on your site? Swift site has them for $380.... a bit pricey for springs.

and wasn't one of the reasons the MR was better than the GSR it's stiffer suspension?
The jury is still out on whether or not the MR is better than the GSR. However, IMO, the MR is a bit more tolerable because it's more compliant on the road while still maintaining it's road holding ability.

We are still updating our site and product listings. However, the Swifts will be posted on EvoM sometime soon. We are still prepping the photos but here are the raw pics:

And yes, the rubber sleve to reduce spring chatter is included for free!

Francis@aspec

Last edited by A-SPEC; Jul 1, 2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure to give us feedback once u get those swift springs on

Quick Reply: MR Springs Feedback Thread , Got springs on ur MR? GO HERE!!