Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

RotorPRos Vs the Rest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008 | 11:08 AM
ktk
Evolving Member

thankoo
Old Jan 17, 2009 | 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by EVOBrakes
Bryan

You just proved what I said to be true and then insulted me publicly?

Why would you be padding my pockets? I don't even sell Centric/Stoptech/Powerslot/RotorPro/NameoftheWeek. I rarely sell anything from China or Taiwan - and when I do I decided long ago that I tell it like it is. It's a generic product w/ little or no traceability. It comes in a white box usually - and anything further than that is pretty much a guess.

This whole reach around and branding/marketing whatever the heck you call it from Centric makes me cringe and unfortunately it's wholly typical of products from that part of the world.

Seeing your older RPro parts I see why you got frustrated w/ me. I knew that RPro's started by using the 120's. I'm pretty sure those came to market before the 121's were made. (Otherwise we could be pretty sure that RPro would have bought the cheaper ones from day one)

I actually thought that was a good idea for them. Pretty low thing for Centric to do to it's dealers but that's their choice. But then I see the price go WAY down - and as I use the Centric catalog all the time - I know what they did - they switched to the 121. It's cheaper - no one will know - and they think it's a Stoptech rotor.

I simply stated that not all Centrics are Stoptech's - they are not - and you just proved it. And what appears to be the case is that R Pro's used to use the 120's (and charged accordingly) - and then when 121's came available cheaper - viola.

Hence the new 'cheaper' C-tek's you just got. Do you still think those are 'Stoptech' rotors?

Since you have both sets on hand compare them carefully. I can tell you that they are approx. 50% different in price - the 121's are half that of the 120's.

Turn the rotor on it's end and look specifically at the cooling vanes. If you know what a parting line is look for it. What do you see between the 2 different rotors.

Look also at the friction plates and the uniformity of thickness. Are they the same thickness on both sides?

One thing I can 100% guarantee you. I have no motive to this other than what I showed above and you proved. If rotorpro's are saying they use the same blanks as Stoptech - but in fact they use 121's then that is NOT TRUE. The only way that would not be true is if Stoptech also switched from using the 120's to the cheaper 121's but I highly doubt that. And I don't LIKE companies that lie. Not now - not ever.

I sell ONLY brakes - and I know the industry VERY WELL. But I BUY as much other **** for my track car as you do. When i go to buy tires - I'm the same as anyone - are the xyz tires REALLY $xxx better than the cheaper $abc. Well - want some Kumho MX with 1 track day on them? Free to a good home! Are the KW CO's REALLY twice as good as Megan's? I think you get my point.

The real question is - how do those 121's work? I have no idea.

Well - we have 1 piece of evidence up above. You'll be next I guess.

Whether you believe it or not - I'm trying to look out for YOU or someone like you who might be reading this - a fellow enthusiast who actually tracks an awesome AWD sports sedan like an EVO or STi. I've seen enough billion WHP EVO/STi owners waste a track day or worse yet crash/cause injury due to being uneducated regarding the stress that our cars put on brakes on track. It's NOT a Miata - look at your calipers or George's rotors.

I also wish you wouldn't have insinuated that I am greedy - or am making **** up just trying to get sales.
-Ken
Hi, it's been very interesting to read your comments but when I looked through brake shops - there is no any mention about 120 or 121. what are these numbers about and what brake rotors are worth buying in your opinion?

thank you
Old Jan 20, 2009 | 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hijack
Hi, it's been very interesting to read your comments but when I looked through brake shops - there is no any mention about 120 or 121. what are these numbers about and what brake rotors are worth buying in your opinion?

thank you
120 and 121 are centric rotor series numbers.

121: CTEK
120: PREMIUM

http://www.centricparts.com/prod02.htm
Old Apr 23, 2009 | 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by r1concepts
120 and 121 are centric rotor series numbers.

121: CTEK
120: PREMIUM

http://www.centricparts.com/prod02.htm
After looking at the new Centric website, apparently all the evo rotors are 120 series now... C-TEK and Powerslot are listed with the same part number.

http://extranet.soleniuminc.com/Cent...m=LANCER%20EVO
Old Apr 23, 2009 | 11:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah they finally updated the website - it looks pretty good.

I still buy/stock/sell 121.46064 and 46065 blanks - and it says C-tek on the box.

Looks like they are doing something new w/ the slotted ones though.
Old Jun 1, 2009 | 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

I just bought a pair about a week ago with hawks cant wait till they come in. I took a chance on em and its good to see you guys like em
Old Jun 14, 2009 | 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

After fighting with making a decision on which brakes to get, I got a set of the RPro's w/ HawkHPS pads. Should be here tomorrow or Tuesday; will post up my thoughts afterwards...Going to be on my DD so no need for me to go all out on some nasty *** brakes...but we shall see how they work, if they are no good then I will opt for something more common...
Old Jun 14, 2009 | 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

I've had the rotorpros on my car with Hawk HP+ pads for a little over 6000 miles..

Zinc slotted and dimpled.
Still look brand new and stop on a dime.
I've done a good amount of sprited driving and 7-8 autocrosses with them and they still work great.
I like them alot, and will get another set when i need a new set.
Old Jun 15, 2009 | 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

100k on them now cut once when installing new pads

Outlasted the OEM Brembos 5X's over so far

No shake shimmy or vibration
Old Jun 15, 2009 | 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Just got back from my first weekend at the track with the rotorpros. Everything seems to be working great except for one issue. I got them with the black hats and when I drove on them out for the first time on the street to break in the new pads I put in at the same time I started getting a clunking noise. I got back home and checked and the lugs all needed to be retightned I'm guessing because the paint/coating they put on the hats had compressed after being heated.

Being that this was the night before I was leaving to go to the track it made me a little nervous. Drove the three hours to the track saturday morning with no issues. Got out on the track and put them to the test. I got the brakes real hot, (120+mph on the straight) hot enough for my brembos to turn a few shades darker. The rotors held up well, no vibrations, cracks or strange wear at all except that the paint/coating on the hats had totally flaked off and some large pieces of it had stuck to the outside of my wheels. I checked the lugs again and this time they didn't budge, nothing had changed there which gave me the confidence to push them for the rest of the weekend without any problems.

My advice would be to get them without the painted hats, it definitely seems to be more trouble than its worth.
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

I just emailed RotorPros and right now they are offering the Blank Centric PREMIUMS, yes the 120's for $220 SHIPPED! I couldnt believe it, thats $55 each, shipped! These are not the 121's, I asked him twice to make sure, lol.
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

That is a really good deal!
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Russell K
I just emailed RotorPros and right now they are offering the Blank Centric PREMIUMS, yes the 120's for $220 SHIPPED! I couldnt believe it, thats $55 each, shipped! These are not the 121's, I asked him twice to make sure, lol.
Got a phone number for him? My disks are past min.
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

I have these as well... love them... had them for 10,000 miles... no issues...
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Russell K
Are these with the black painted hats? Did he verify the full part number. I need to order a set soon but will be quite annoyed if I recieve the Ctek versions.

Quick Reply: RotorPRos Vs the Rest