Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

studded tires?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
studded tires?

in ct we get snow throught out the winter months... i was thinking of getting studded tires.. (like the ones with he nails..) what do u guys think? or are they unnenssesary? wat do u guys usually run during the winter months?
Old Aug 2, 2005, 05:00 PM

I think it is unnessesary, I just had my first winter in Green Bay Wisconsin, and all-weathers (Yokohamas) were fine...And I am talking about on an EVO 8, not sure what car you drive but...
Old Aug 2, 2005, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

I'd say get some dedicated winter tires or even some all seasons and drive safely.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Studded tires are for the snow and ice, I would think that you would have problems running them on dry pavement. Just get some snow tires or all seasons and I think you'll be happy.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 06:06 PM

i got an evo 8... if i can get another set of enkei rims for cheap (lookin at aa stet now) i might get eh studded tires.. (practiaclly free.. )
Old Aug 2, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

all i can say is....Bridgestone Blizzaks!!!....best snow tire you can get. i used a set for 2 months in denver, co and they worked perfect!!....i am selling my tires since i will no longer use my car in the winter and use my new truck instead, let me know if you are interested!
Old Aug 2, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

blizzaks and a set of winter rims. or the stock enkies and some new shoes for the summer months. a buddy of mine has blizzaks on his car they are great snow tires. studded tires are for ice and snow tracks i think. i dont even know if they would work well at all on the street, might be dangerous
Old Aug 2, 2005, 06:42 PM

yeah.. i was thinking abotu the blizzacks.. but the thought of studded tires was humorous to me.. and sisnce i can get them for practically nothing.. made me think even more about it.. but i will prob end up with blizzacks.. tws pm me with a price..
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

All the posts i've been through and not one person knows anything about studded tires? Well here it is. Studded tires are THE $HIT! My Evo drives like a tank over PILES of snow and laughs at the thought of ice. Here in North Dakota we see temps as low as -75 in Jan and Feb. Ice is on the ground for for a good 5 months of the year. Most people however, choose not to use them around here. Mostly because they're kinda expensive, but i think alot has to do with that fact that everyone drives slow as $hit to avoid crashing? When i lived in Oregon, we'd see several feet of snow in just a few days and patches of black ice. EVERYONE used studded tires. And yes, they work like normal tires on dry pavement. However, if you live someplace that doesnt have ALOT of snow or a little bit of ice, the studs will break off since they dont seem to like the dry concrete to well. Then youll just end up with an all season studless tire. Also, you may want to check when/if your state will allow you to put them on. North Dak lets us use them from Nov-Apr normaly. Oregon had a shorter time period. One more thing. AWD lauches with these things on in ice... AMAZING!!

All in all.. Studded tires ROCK!
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

studded tires are overkill for CT unless you put them on just for those days when it's really snowy or you go driving across a lake. i had unstudded nokians on my last car which was fwd and never had a problem for the last 2 years and i went out in every storm we had, even had to go across plowed piles of snow almost up to my hood going on some sidestreets in worcester. normal snows on the evo will be fine
Old Oct 11, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by walkedu
Here in North Dakota we see temps as low as -75 in Jan and Feb. Ice is on the ground for for a good 5 months of the year. Most people however, choose not to use them around here...
There's a pretty HUGE difference bewteen North Dakota winter and a Connecticut winter! No doubt studded tires are great on ice and in deep snow. But that's not what you see around here. Sure, in some rural areas of Vermont or New Hampshire you might need studded tires...but not in New Haven!

Emre