Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coilover question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilover question

Sup all, i'm planning on getting some Tein Flex coilovers on my 05 evo.

I had S-Techs on my 03 (which is now sold) and i'm not going to make the spring mistake again.

I'm doing the coilovers for more look than anything, I dont really track the car but I do "spirited driving" at times. I just don't want some low quality springs screwing with the best part of my ride. (the suspension)

When/if I get these coilovers installed do you need to adjust anything other then the ride height? Is it all complicated having to adjust all those other aspects of suspension? (toe, etc.. forgot the terms) or can you just install, adjust ride height and not have to worry about other things?

thanks in advance.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

hmm, bump?
Old Aug 14, 2005, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

when it's all installed and set the way you want....ie...ride height and the stiffness of the shocks...

get an alignment...you will need it.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

yeah basicly you just need to get an alignment. since your just for looks dont worry about a cornerbalance. just use something accurate to to measure your ride height. write the numbers down so you know where you started.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tein Flex are great for everyday use but Cusco Zero 2E will be a better choice for around the same price.

Tom
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

why are they are better choice, can you give detail?
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

i have the buddy clubs from ams with there custom spring ratings. you'll need to get an alignment plus out of the box they are all ****ed up. you will need to adjust camber and toe. ams was real helpful with the camber and toe settings for the street and the track but again alignment is a must. check in your area for a good racing alignment shop. martin at ams was real helpful or pm me for the buddy club settings.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 06:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dave9172
why are they are better choice, can you give detail?
I have drove on both setup and I like the Cusco alot better. Flex is a great coilover for street use but the Cusco is far superior in ride quality and handling. I believe Cusco has done a better job on valving the shock to match with the spring rate. With that said, they are essentially the same type of coilover (twin tube) but if its around the same price range, I'd recommend Cusco over the Flex.

Please keep in mind that this is my personal preference between the two. I personally have Zeal V6 on my Evo right now.

Thanks,
Tom
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
I personally have Zeal V6 on my Evo right now.
I'll add another vote for a set of Zeals. I'm running a set of Function Xs coilovers and they are awsome. I dial the dampers to soft for daily use or crank them up a few clicks for track use. They're the best combination of ride quality and performance that I've ever felt in an Evo.

I think the big difference with the Zeals is that the dampers are valved to closely match the springs - you don't get the bad behaviors associated with poorly matched dampers and springs. The adjustablily is also nice - and of course they include camber plates and seperate ride-height and spring pre-load adjustments.

For reference I've been a passenger or driver of quite a few different Evo's with a wide variety different coilover set-ups. All the Tein stuff plus stock JICs and a few others.

Anyway - I grabbed my Zeals from Adam at Z1.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 03:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by erioshi
I'll add another vote for a set of Zeals. I'm running a set of Function Xs coilovers and they are awsome. I dial the dampers to soft for daily use or crank them up a few clicks for track use. They're the best combination of ride quality and performance that I've ever felt in an Evo.

I think the big difference with the Zeals is that the dampers are valved to closely match the springs - you don't get the bad behaviors associated with poorly matched dampers and springs. The adjustablily is also nice - and of course they include camber plates and seperate ride-height and spring pre-load adjustments.

For reference I've been a passenger or driver of quite a few different Evo's with a wide variety different coilover set-ups. All the Tein stuff plus stock JICs and a few others.

Anyway - I grabbed my Zeals from Adam at Z1.
Adam is a great guy and I am glad he got you the Zeal cause I firmly believe in their products and would recommend them to anyone regardless if they buy it from us or another vendor.

Tom
Old Jan 18, 2006, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once you have an alignment done is it still ok to mess with the ride height or do you need to dial in the right height and leave it?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:23 AM
ez
Evolving Member

Any adjustment in ride height will change the working suspension geometry range and require attention to the affects on alignment. So definitely set the ride height before alignment...
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:29 AM
ez
Evolving Member

Np