Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

MB Motorsports Drifter Wheel - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB Motorsports Drifter Wheel - opinions?

americastires.com has a new wheel called the "MB Motorsports Drifter" and it comes in 18x9.5 +35 in silver and black, both with a machined lip. The price is only $151.00! Any opinions of this wheel? Anyone have these on their car? I did a search and found no mention of these wheels anywhere.

Link to larger picture
Link to Site

Last edited by machron1; Aug 20, 2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending on what kind of wheels you are looking for. Some are looking for 'Looks' while others are looking for 'light weight and performance' i.e. 'strong'. I'm sure the ones that you posted are good for normal driving but probably pretty heavy.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by racerhead2
Depending on what kind of wheels you are looking for. Some are looking for 'Looks' while others are looking for 'light weight and performance' i.e. 'strong'. I'm sure the ones that you posted are good for normal driving but probably pretty heavy.
Well, I've decided I want to run all-season tires on the street and R compound tires on the track. Currently, I just run Falken Azenis Sport RT-615's for both. They do just about as well as a dual-purpose set of tires can possibly do, but I'm tired of running near-R comps on the street, and near R comps on the track as well. On the street, the milage isn't great, and on the track, the grip isn't quite as good as an R comp. So, I was thinking some nice, fat, low-profile all-seasons (265/35/18) like Pirellii PZero Nero M+S or Hankook Ventus Sport K104 would give me better wear on the street, and being wider and lower-profile might keep the turning response and dry grip somewhat high, knowing it will never be as good as my current setup (I'm trying to minimize penalties here). Then, I'm going to put Yokohama A032R-H compound tires on my stock wheels for the track. That way, I will have the perfect setup for both street and track. Now I'm just looking for the most cost-effective way to do it, and these wheels look like the best contenders so far...but I don't want to buy them if they are going to crack or won't fit.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you are just exactly where I am. I have decided to run an r-comp tire for autox and the occassional track day and just run an all season tire the rest of the time. Since I already had the all season Conti's that I ran in the winter I just got an additional set of wheels (17x9 5zigen FNO1-c's in hyper black) to run my r-comps on (255/40-17). What made you choose the Yoko AO32R? I was debating between that and the Toyo RA-1 and have been leaning toward the Toyo.

Why not the MB Motorsports Weapon in 18x8.5? Looks like the Gram Lights 57S, which looks good on the Evo and should fit with no issues.

Last edited by bullfrg; Aug 22, 2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bullfrg
Sounds like you are just exactly where I am. I have decided to run an r-comp tire for autox and the occassional track day and just run an all season tire the rest of the time. Since I already had the all season Conti's that I ran in the winter I just got an additional set of wheels (17x9 5zigen FNO1-c's in hyper black) to run my r-comps on (255/40-17). What made you choose the Yoko AO32R? I was debating between that and the Toyo RA-1 and have been leaning toward the Toyo.

Why not the MB Motorsports Weapon in 18x8.5? Looks like the Gram Lights 57S, which looks good on the Evo and should fit with no issues.
For one I just don't like the RA-1s for some reason. Even so, I don't dislike them enough to not run them, but the RA-1 requires a lot of camber that I'm not willing to run on the street since I don't get 2 alignments done every track day lol. I just like how large the tread blocks are on the Yokos and they come in an H compound that should last an entire season of track days no problem. The sidewalls are more conducive to streetable camber settings too.

As for the wheels, yeah the Weapons look like they would work too, just wondering about these wheels since I just discovered them. I'm also considering 5Zigen FNO1R-C in 18x9.5 +35. I definitely want at least a 9" wide 18" wheel so I can run 265/35/18's, probably Pirelli PZero Nero M+S or Hankook Ventus Sport K104's.

Last edited by machron1; Aug 22, 2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

PZero Nero M+S...had them on the wagon last winter. wasnt bad at all, didnt get enough snow to make me need my snow tires. had decent dry grip and great wet traction, not a bad tire considering the cost.