Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

WTF is up with the warping stock front rotors?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The folks claiming the rotors are bad should first do some reading on the subject of "warped discs" and then come back and discuss the problem.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

The problem alot of people are experiencing and claiming as "warped rotors" is the result of driving aggressively with a pad compound formulated for daily, around town driving.

Originally Posted by StopTech
The friction material that is quiet and functions well at relatively low temperatures around town will not stop the car that is driven hard. If you attempt to drive many cars hard with the OEM pads, you will experience pad fade, friction material transfer and fluid boiling - end of discussion.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:49 AM
ez
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But look at Carroll's "qualifier":

<snip>
"With one qualifier, presuming that the hub and wheel flange are flat and in good condition and that the wheel bolts or hat mounting hardware is in good condition, installed correctly and tightened uniformly and in the correct order to the recommended torque specification, in more than 40 years of professional racing, including the Shelby/Ford GT 40s – one of the most intense brake development program in history - I have never seen a warped brake disc."
<snip>

That is very broad...and without elaboration, can render the article misleading for many readers. I have seen many warped rotors. Put the rotor on a lathe, and check the runout with a dial indicator. Even on a part of the disk where there is *no contact* with the pad surface. That would seem to negate a "pad transfer" argument in those areas.

While I agree with the whole of the article, I feel it needs to be clear that there *are* conditions that *do* warp rotors...and those conditions are common enough that it is quite likely some people on this forum will experience a rotor that is truly warped.