Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Are RA-1 and/or R888 equal to Advan A046?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Are RA-1 and/or R888 equal to Advan A046?

Time to change my tires... Before you flame me; Yes I did a lot of research in the site. My only problem is that simply the Advan A046 does not exist in my country.
My only options now are: Toyo T1-R, Toyo R888/RA1, AVS Sport and S03.
If I will lose handling or grip with all of the tires descibed above I will have to import the Advan from USA = 1month and a half without my Evo

info about Toyo R888:
http://www.toyo.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=car.R888
http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...threadid=52780
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ise/index.html

obs: I drive my car 85% of the time on dry open roads. I only care about performance.

thanks
Old Oct 12, 2005, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just say no to AVS Sport. If you're looking for a race tire...the RA1, many people are tracking these here right now. Personally, I would not import the Advan, it's a great tire, but just hard to justify it's price.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

First, where the heck are you located? Temperatures are a factor- you are comparing R compounds with regular street tires!

Second, the RA-1 is more than a match for the Advans, except with a shorter lifespan to be expected.

More info is needed here.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 01:37 AM
Account Disabled

Based on pure performance, the R888 would be my choice. I had the pleasure of having them on my car for a test session. They took about half a lap more to heat up vs. the RA1, but once up to temp, they gave more grip for sure. Tread pattern appears streetable, but less so than the RA1. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to give them a long-term test on the street
Old Oct 13, 2005, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Are the R888's available through any of the tire vendors in the states?

jeff
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by k270kmh
My only problem is that simply the Advan A046 does not exist in my country.
The T1-R and AVS Sport are both FAR lesser tires than your AO46's in terms of both dry and wet grip. I suspect you will be very disappointed with either of these.

The RA-1 is an R-compound tire. I use it on the track. In "ideal conditions" it outperforms the AO46 significantly. However, I do NOT think it's an appropriate choice for a daily driven street car. They have horrible grip when the temperature drops. Wet grip disappears very quickly once they start to wear. They wear much more quickly than street tires. And they are sensitive to heat cycling. No good, I'd say!

As for the S03's they are really good in the rain. However, there are many tires that outperform them in the dry.

The closest match to the AO46 from a performance standpoint is the new Advan Neova. Can you get them where you are? That would be my first choice. Another tire that's very close to the AO46 and holds up to regular street use is the Falken Azenis Sport. I have the old RT-215 pattern. But the newer RT-615 is even better all-around.

Emre
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you guys.
I would say that the average temperature in my country is 30ºC. I will not put my car on the track, but I drive my car very hard as you can expect from an Evo owner. I do not know if It will reach the ideal temperature on the open roads, maybe yes. I would say that my average speed on the roads is 100mph, 50% corners 50% straight line.
obs: I do not care about wet grip.
I will try to find the Falken RT-615 anyway.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Btw, in the end of 2005 the advan sport will be available in my country. I do not know if it outperforms the A046...
More info: www.advan.com
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:41 PM

Not sure if most of you ever goto this site, but they had some of the best deals ever. They had the falkens RT 215 for the evo in 245 for 90 bucks. But now since they ran out of them they only have the newer ones. Still kinda cheap @ 152 others are like 180 or so.

Go check them out http://edgeracing.com/tires/2354517/
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by k270kmh
Time to change my tires... Before you flame me; Yes I did a lot of research in the site. My only problem is that simply the Advan A046 does not exist in my country.
My only options now are: Toyo T1-R, Toyo R888/RA1, AVS Sport and S03.
If I will lose handling or grip with all of the tires descibed above I will have to import the Advan from USA = 1month and a half without my Evo

info about Toyo R888:
http://www.toyo.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=car.R888
http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...threadid=52780
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ise/index.html

obs: I drive my car 85% of the time on dry open roads. I only care about performance.

thanks
uhm... you will not lose performance with the ra1 or the r888 . in fact you will get better dry performance out of them. the ra1 obviously is well known and has very stiff sidewalls genuine article paragon r compound tire that sets tha standard for the industry. however it's more street biased. the r888 has less void area and more constant contact-contact patches.

the s03 is prolly the closest to stock but it's hard to beat stock in ALL categories although i'm sure the s03 beats it in wear and prolly comes close in other areas being that it's a max performance tire.

when running r comps on the street you ahve to keep in mind that the soft rubber compounds tend to get hardened after many heat cycles. at hte track it's not such a big deal because you warm up and warm down and you eat the tires before they get too hard from cycling. on the street however you never have hte luxery of warm up and warm down and you will most likely never be able to chew them to completion if you do any sort of daily driving in between your beat rush stints. this just means that it takes a longer time to get the sweet spot and your tires will actually wear longer (after they harden)

definitely things to consider tho. oh yeah... and forget the t1s and the other crap.

Last edited by trinydex; Oct 14, 2005 at 12:54 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all replies. I found the last two A046 tires in my country, I made a good deal. Now I will import the other two tires from USA.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
when running r comps on the street you ahve to keep in mind that the soft rubber compounds tend to get hardened after many heat cycles. at hte track it's not such a big deal because you warm up and warm down and you eat the tires before they get too hard from cycling. on the street however you never have hte luxery of warm up and warm down and you will most likely never be able to chew them to completion if you do any sort of daily driving in between your beat rush stints. this just means that it takes a longer time to get the sweet spot and your tires will actually wear longer (after they harden)
hmmm... interesting. Perhaps this is a reason why my advans have lasted this long. I've had my car for a year and half now and done 8 autocrosses and 2 track events. I'm almost at 21k miles now and all my tires still have tread across them. Only one tire is balding at the edge so far. Granted I'm a beginner driver, but I think I push my car somewhat hard on the track. I think having a quaife front LSD helps reduce wear a lot as it keeps front wheel spin to a minimum.