Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Review: MUELLERIZED Buddy Clubs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2005, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: MUELLERIZED Buddy Clubs

I've been posting snippets of my impressions of my new Muellerized suspension (Buddy Clubs) in a few other threads, but here is a dedicated review. First of all, spring rates and specific technical information is proprietary, and you will need to speak directly with John Mueller regarding these issues. Suffice it to say, the spring rates are fairly heavy, front and rear, but ride on the road is EXCELLENT, definitely better than stock, even though it is firmer. The dampning and spring rates are perfectly mated. On the racetrak the suspension performed flawlessly. the biggest noticeble advantage was that the car now takes a controlled set that is not affected by slop and body roll. In high speed corners the car is on rails. I have to concentrate more fully on late apexing each corner, as the tendency is just to point and shoot, as the car turns so well. This set-up will reward patient and smooth driving. the car does not understeer. It does not oversteer. It is the definition of Nuetral. I am able to more accurately control the attitude of the car with throttle and brakes now, because these two things, throttle and brake, SERVE the handling and suspension rather than become necessary whips to MAKE the car do what it needs to do. So, in short the brakes, throttle and suspension are working in harmony.

As noted before, I improved my lap time at Reno Fernley by 7 seconds, that on a 2.4 mile track. Granted I have aquaife now, and I am abetter driver than I was in June, but the suspension was easily worth 3-4 seconds, as With my previous Robispec "budget" set-up and works "basic" set-up the car was oversteery and understeering respectfully.

It could be argued that any coilover system might have yielded the same results, but I am skeptical. After hanging out with John and crew at thunderhill last thu, I was amazed at the attention to detail that is put into the tuning of each custom suspension they do. Copious amounts of research, data collection and testing have yielded suspension systems that are second to none, with the tangible, quantifiable results to prove the efficacy of the product. cannot wait to go to thunderhill on 11/19 with NCRC and shoot for a PR!
Old Oct 23, 2005, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Glad to hear. I have the Buddy Clubs out of the box from AMS. I'm curious to hear what the differences are to the Muellerized versions. Of course, I won't know if it is all proprietary.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you got yourself an excellent setup.. is there a link to pics and pricing?
Old Oct 23, 2005, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Hows the quality of the Buddy Clubs? How long have you had them? How are they on the street? I live in New York and I just want spend $2Gs then blow my shocks do crappy roads and quality of the shcoks. I am definately going to get Muellerized when the cash is available,
Old Oct 23, 2005, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I have the same setup on my MR and love it! So much better than stock!

It is weird how it rides better on the street, especially over big bumps. The stock suspension felt a little smoother over really small bumps like dirt on the road, but the Road Race Chassis coilovers handle bigger bumps a lot better and allows the tires to stay in contact with the tarmac.

Their website is http://www.roadracechassis.com but there isn't much info on there as they aren't computer people. Best to call them since every setup is customized for the owner.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 06:37 PM

My Evo is a commuter car.... I was wondering how getting one of these coilovers will affect daily driving? A lot of times I'm stuck in traffic in the Bay Area.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Muellerized Buddy Clubs too now for the past couple months and have posted my review. I can too vouch for how good these are. Each set up may be different depending on what the customer prefers so it's all up the individual ordering to tell John what he wants (ride quality, tire wear, handling, etc).

As for ride quality it's definitely a lot firmer than the stock 03 set up but is a lot better damped so the ride feels a lot better. The drop is perfect in my opinion too.

The quality of the buddy clubs is really good too and John's customer service is top notch.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Blak94GSX
Their website is http://www.roadracechassis.com but there isn't much info on there as they aren't computer people. Best to call them since every setup is customized for the owner.
Additional content will be added to the website in the near future.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Just one question. I went to a local meet, and was talking to this guy who had some Mullerized coilovers. First thing he was talking down to me like I've never driven a car before. Then he told me that he cannot disclose his spring rates as he signed a non disclosure agreement and it is proprietary information. NOw for a guy who drives on the street and goes to the track a few times a year, is he really that competitive that he can't disclose his spring rates. It would be great on this board or in the community for the guys who do track events for fun to help others out in trying to set their cars up. Especially for those who want to learn to do it theirselves and enjoy that kind of thing.

If you are racing competitively, I guess that's another story.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by evolution888
My Evo is a commuter car.... I was wondering how getting one of these coilovers will affect daily driving? A lot of times I'm stuck in traffic in the Bay Area.
there is nothing worse than la traffic in the us, and half the mueller buddyclubs run on la streets daily (if not more than half) and the roads in la are shottier than shat.

Originally Posted by evoracerx
Just one question. I went to a local meet, and was talking to this guy who had some Mullerized coilovers. First thing he was talking down to me like I've never driven a car before. Then he told me that he cannot disclose his spring rates as he signed a non disclosure agreement and it is proprietary information. NOw for a guy who drives on the street and goes to the track a few times a year, is he really that competitive that he can't disclose his spring rates. It would be great on this board or in the community for the guys who do track events for fun to help others out in trying to set their cars up. Especially for those who want to learn to do it theirselves and enjoy that kind of thing.

mueller does race competitively.... so what are you asking? his setup is his setup, if he put in all the research and developement and then had someone else copy it then where do the fruits of his labor come in? if you want mueller's setup then why not just admit it and get it? if not then you can be like countless other people that get jdm systems that aren't even setup the way they are in japan.

and btw most evos in japan run an 8k spring all the way around or maybe an 8k front and 9k rear, or a 8k front and a 7k rear (which apparently is backwards and i only have seen this once), the fastest however tend to run an 8k all around. if you look at any of the jdm systems offered in the us they're all backwards. so if you'd like "proven springs rates" then those are most likely as close as you get. you need to find someone that can get you custom valved dampers to do with those springs.

i saw this racing beat on speed one time of these jackholes and a cute drifter girl at tein and this one guy apparently developed all the suspension for us spec tein product. i wanted to scream how much of an idiot that bastard was because how the hell can you put out crap like they are? it's infuriating (at least for evos)

Last edited by trinydex; Oct 24, 2005 at 04:16 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoracerx

I'll try and provide a more gentle perspective
the proprietary portion is important to doing good business, as is the non-disclosure agreement. It basically acts as patent to the process, due to the fact that an amazing amount of man hours have been put into delivering a consistent product to customers that works everytime. you can copyright intellectual property, why not spring rates and set-up?

I am very serious about my motorsport activities, go to the track often, am getting fairly fast, and have definitive plans for racing. So, I need a serious set-up. If I were visiting the track literally "a few times per year", I would not be remotely interested in paying 2000.00+ for coilovers, or tuning, etc....because for my needs, abilities and desires, it would be overkill, but that's just me. Regarding the proprietary info: I am a musician, have released several albums on different labels, and one album on my own label. I don't make millions, and it's not my primary income stream. But it still irks me when people steal my music by downloading it off the web for free. It costs money, time and effort to record music. Same with Mueller's work. It always amazes me when people want a free lunch, as it were. Let me tell you this, for the quality of the suspension he delivers, John should charge more.

Take care.

Percy

Last edited by hagakure; Oct 24, 2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

yeah if you think about all the stuff you get with the set up...it really is a good deal.

Originally Posted by hagakure
I'll try and provide a more gentle perspective
the proprietary portion is important to doing good business, as is the non-disclosure agreement. It basically acts as patent to the process, due to the fact that an amazing amount of man hours have been put into delivering a consistent product to customers that works everytime. you can copyright intellectual property, why not spring rates and set-up?

I am very serious about my motorsport activities, go to the track often, am getting fairly fast, and have definitive plans for racing. So, I need a serious set-up. If I were visiting the track literally "a few times per year", I would not be remotely interested in paying 2000.00+ for coilovers, or tuning, etc....because for my needs, abilities and desires, it would be overkill, but that's just me. Regarding the proprietary info: I am a musician, have released several albums on different labels, and one album on my own label. I don't make millions, and it's not my primary income stream. But it still irks me when people steal my music by downloading it off the web for free. It costs money, time and effort to record music. Same with Mueller's work. It always amazes me when people want a free lunch, as it wee were. Let me tell you this, for the quality of the suspension he delivers, John should charge more.

Take care.

Percy
Old Oct 24, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

This is my 2nd Car Mueller has Muellerized... and of course he doesn't dissapoint in fact it's now better the 2nd time... The car handles extremely well, you really need to try really hard and find someone who has had it done. I drove 400 miles just for the best... just like the guy in FL AMS Evo who drives to IL just to get his engine upgrades... shops like these are just that worth it!
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

This is my 2nd Car Mueller has Muellerized... and of course he doesn't dissapoint in fact it's now better the 2nd time... The car handles extremely well, you really need to try really hard and find someone who has had it done. I drove 400 miles just for the best... just like the guy in FL AMS Evo who drives to IL just to get his engine upgrades... shops like these are just that worth it!
SSSSSHHHHH- The secrets going to get out! Seriously, out of all the things I have done to my car, the muellerized suspension was the most profound.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

I'm curious about knowing what the "set-up" includes, I'm really interested in Mueller's products.

Hagakure: did you get camberplates, pillowball mounts or swaybars with your coilovers?