Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Gaging interest in a replacement six piston Evo caliper!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2005, 08:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gaging interest in a replacement six piston Evo caliper!

Ok. I'm in contact with a noted brake caliper manufacturer that is interested in producing an upgraded six piston replacement caliper for the Evo. (You guys know me, the price will have to be better than other offerings right now) Now I know the OE set has had great success, but this is more for the serious road racing guys who want the most modulation possible, yet wants/needs to keep them under OE, or OE size wheels. (maybe for some of you bling, bling guys too) Right now we are looking at the six piston front set, and at a later date, they may be introducing a 4 piston set for the rear as well.

See post #9 for a little more info...

The basics are an upgrade six piston caliper with probably Hawk HPS or HP Plus pads, direct bolt in, fits in stock wheel, stainless steel pistons, in a choice of several colors. (they are suggesting up to a 28% increase in performance).

Last edited by Zeus; Oct 31, 2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd go if there was a full package with 6 in front and 4 in back.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

do the six pistons mean a larger brake pad? although it sounds like the hawks are a stock piece.

is there a name.

almost sad to say it, I am an easy target for RR mods.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 07:34 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Zeus
The basics are an upgrade six piston caliper with probably Hawk HPS or HP Plus pads, direct bolt in, fits in stock wheel, stainless steel pistons, in a choice of several colors. (they are suggesting up to a 28% increase in performance).
Are these a monobloc design? Any information on the rotor diameter and thickness?
Old Oct 26, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

zeus, you are the man! thanks. keep me in mind... i'll check this post often. depending on my outcome with the national center for dispute resolution meeting tomorrow about my stock brembo's doin the fading and peeling thing and wing clearcoat that mitsu dist. rep wouldn't replace, i may just need an affordable option.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 08:51 PM
Account Disabled

piston diameter? pad dimensions? advantage it provides over stock?
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Pad surface area makes no significant change in actual torque, only pad life. Torque is affected by clamp load, coefficent of friction, and the length of the lever arm (ie how far out the caliper is mounted). That's one thing to keep in mind.

Another thing is that a larger piston surface will result in more clamp load, but it will also result in more pedal travel. On the other hand a smaller piston surface area will mean less pedal travel, but will require more pedal pressure to achieve the same level of stopping torque.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

I'd be interested.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 06:43 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Here are a few replies from the manufacturer:

nothere,

Yes, the 6-piston will have a *slightly* larger brake pad, it is longer, but not quite as tall. The overall pad area is slightly larger.

Jack @ Evostore,

No, these are not a monoblock design. Monoblock designs are actually weaker than a two piece design with bridge bolts, hence the reason these are not monoblocks. (Rigidity of the thru bolts is higher than that of the aluminum that makes the caliper.) Rotor diameter is the stock rotor. This is just a caliper replacement, no rotor included. In the future, we will be developing a complete brake kit with rotors & calipers. For now, it is just a caliper replacement utilizing the stock rotor. (Also of note, when we do develop the full brake kit, you will not have to get a new caliper if you already purchased the caliper kit)

Z1 Performance,

Piston Diameter is 6-pistons, 40mm each. FYI, stock (If memory serves me correctly, stock Brembo is two 42mm, and two 38mm's.) Basically what you are gaining over stock is the addition of two more pistons at 40mm. Pad dimensions I will have to get back on the exact dimensions, if so desired. The pad is slightly larger than stock however.

Advantage: More clamp force, thus creating more braking force due to the two more pistons over stock. Yes, pedal travel will increase, however, you will find the brakes easier to modulate due to the slight increase in pedal travel.

NDgsx,

He is correct in everything he said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To add to the above comments, I'm looking at this kind of from the perspective of those guys who used Spoon calipers on their Type R's. Except with the already short pedal travel of the Evo, there will be greater advantages in these by gaining a considerable amount of clamp load, yet given a little more travel in order to manage it. Where as the Spoons didn't add that much more load, but aided in "feel".

Keep in mind this thread was created to see if there is an interest in such a product, not to hash out in great detail merits of a set design that has not even run on a test car yet. The R&D has not been done on the Evo specifically. So keep in mind that piston diameters may change, etc, etc. in order to bring the best performing product to market. Of course ALL comments are welcome, as this gives the customer "input" into what "they" want vs. a manufacturer completely, and arbitrarily pushing a product "at" you.

Anytime I can involve the customer base (which INCLUDES me) in achieving a final product, I'm going to jump at the chance. Esp. since I recognize that the vast majority of Evos are STREET cars. I find far too often customers buy the latest, and greatest RACE parts, bolt them on their cars, then complain about the trade offs. Well, here is a prime example of having the opportunity to voice your opinion on what you want in a product prior to it coming to market.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 06:49 AM

Yes, I would be interested.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

yes im interesting..is there a price range we are looking at? what do you think this will run us?
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

color me interested
Old Oct 27, 2005, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

One other question - will there be a variety of other brake pads to use/try? With some aftermarked brake upgrades, i've been told that I'd be limited to a few select pads etc. One of the thinks I like about the stock brembos is the large selection of pads there are to use.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

I would be interested
Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So this would use the standard discs?

If so then I might be interested.

Quick Reply: Gaging interest in a replacement six piston Evo caliper!