Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need help! alignment problem :*(

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2005, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help! alignment problem :*(

I just check my tire today and found out inside of my passenger tire worn out badly... for both front and rear (since I rotated them I guess)
So I went to local alignment shop to fix the alignment problem I may have... About an hour later they told me that they can't change front camber without camber bolt(?) on the front so they wanted me to get camber bolt from dealer or something....

So right now my front camber is not fixed but everthing else were corrected to what I asked for:

right now
front toe-in 0
front camber Driver -0.3 Passenger -1.9 (unchanged)
rear toe-in 0
rear cabmer Driver -0.9 Passenger -0.9 (changed from -0.7 and -1.1)

So according to this I will still see the insdie wear problem I guess... :*(

Did anyone experienced this problem before? WTH is camber bolt they told me to get to adjust front alignment? Where can I get it?

I have Stock bilstein and NOT lowered.
Thanks for the help in advance!
Old Oct 26, 2005, 02:53 PM
Former Vendor

it should be there... it is the top bolt on the bottom of the strut and it has a little bump on it to move the strut in or out... you can see if its in there yourself.. it will have 2 arrows on it...
Old Oct 26, 2005, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

a cam bolt is an offset bolt that slides in place of the old cam bolt. this bolt should be the bottom bolt that holds the strut to the steering knuckle. These bolts range in different "offsets" 1 degree, 1.5 degree, etc...looks like either they didnt take out the bolt and flip it around, or you are at max adjust and need a different bold. (did you hit something?) IMO, they didn't know about the front cam bolt being able to be "flipped". still it may not put you back in spec and you may need a larger bolt from the dealer. However, i have not seen this bad of camber on an evo before, especially without being lowered.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't hit anything but I did lowered it once but I put stock springs back in and I did alignment after that.

So there should be camber bolt already in there then... I don't think those guys know about this since they told me I don't even have adjustable camber bolt they said mines are regular bolt(?)
Old Oct 26, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

yes, there is an adjustable bolt from the factory. all evo's have it. I would call back and say you want another alignment done. hopefully you have some kind of warranty if not, i would take it to sears. they have the better machines and give a good warranty (6 month, 6k miles) and its only 65$. I wrench at sears on saturdays, this is how i know.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

The upper bolt on the front struts is your adjustment bolt. The strut has a slot and the bolt has a cam. ALL evo's have these from Mitsu. There are 2 positions. One position will provide less camber and the other more camber. There is an arrow on the bolt head. This is an easy visual thing to check and see if yours are different on each side. You should also check and make sure that your springs are properly seated in the struts, if not your ride heights may be different affecting alignment.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs down

I'm pretty sure springs are seated right because I aligned my car after I put stock springs back in. At that time, front camber was at like -1.2 & -1.3 I believe.
But problem is that guy who used to align my car is no longer work there so the new guy keeps telling me that I don't have this cam bolt!

Anywayz I looked under the car today and there are 2 silver(ish) bolts hold bottom of struts. You guys talking about these two bolts? or are they any other bolts? cuz they look like regular bolts to me... :*(
I'll take some pic later
Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Is this the cam bolt?
Old Oct 27, 2005, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

That is the bolt! It looks normal, but underneath the head there is a cam, you can't see it b/c it is holding your suspension together.

Your problem really sounds like a lack of good help.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

haha... yeah I need lots help

Do you think is it possible if the guy who installed lowering springs to my car messed up and put lower bolt to the top and top bolt to the bottom? or top bolt only goes into top hole?
Thanks for the help again!
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

The lower bolt can go in either hole, but the upper bolt with the cam will only fit in the slot. There are flats on the flange of the head on the cam bolt, they actually rest on the raised ledge seen below the top bolt in your pic. This ledge keeps the bolt from rotating and a resulting camber/alignment change. Of course there is the possibility he just jammed the bolt in and hammered down with his trusty impact gun.....
Old Oct 29, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

got everything taken care of! yay~

Final alignment

Toe front L 0.02 R 0.03
Camber front L -1.4 R -1.3
Toe rear L 0.13 R 0.12
Camber rear L -0.9 R -0.9

I printed out this whole page and showed it to them.
They found cam bolt and did it for free

But then they told, since I still have pretty aggresive negative camber, inside of tire still wear out faster than outside....

So I guess inside tire wear for evo is pretty normal?
Old Oct 29, 2005, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks all you guys for help! thks to evom!
Old Oct 30, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Sucks you had to go through this......I'm surprised that all these Evo guys didn't know that you don't need camber bolts to get it re-aligned if you lowered it.....Trust me on this one.....I had the same problem and I bought the bolts and didn't even need them....Network Alignment, AZ said if they need them, they will use them....They didn't use them at all.......My alignment is great now thanks to them.....Most people will tell you this, but they probaly didn't lower their cars, they are just speaking off past experiences....