Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What is the best tire for winter driving?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2005, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best tire for winter driving?

Last winter I ran the Conti ExtreamContact tires and I wasn't too impressed. I got a good amount of miles out of them (over 30k) but the traction wasn't what I expected for an AWD car. I wound up sliding through a couple of intersections and the ABS would constantly be coming on while trying to stop. I also found it difficult to make lane changes on the highway when there was snow on the ground.

This year I am willing to compromise all aspects of performance in order to get the best tire for winter driving. On average I put about 1,000 miles a week on my EVO, 95% is highway driving so I need something that will get me through anything mother nature has to offer. The only thing I ask is that I get at least a season out of them...

Please let me hear your experienced opinions.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 07:06 PM

Talking

<--- keep this thread alive !!! i too wanna know the answer to this question ... ?
what is a good winter tire ? i slid all around last winter and wasn't at all impressed with that famous AWD .... haha . of course i had the advans on but maybe the blizzaks would've helped ... i don't know ?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

I would look at either a set of Nokian WR all seasons or AvonTech M550s. I have the Nokian on my sti and Avons on my Evo and both are nice tires that you could use 12 months of the year.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 07:17 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
guys if you want to be snow monsters get the blizzak ws-50s , nice ride which is cool for a while (long enough for winter) , lasts long and INSANE on a evo in any amount of snow or ice

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Blizzak+WS-50
Old Nov 3, 2005, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodave
guys if you want to be snow monsters get the blizzak ws-50s , nice ride which is cool for a while (long enough for winter) , lasts long and INSANE on a evo in any amount of snow or ice

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Blizzak+WS-50
they look good according to the website.

I was suprised to see the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 which is in a totally different tire catagory (performance winter) then the studless ice & snow tires made by Blizzak get an even better rating.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
they look good according to the website.

I was suprised to see the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 which is in a totally different tire catagory (performance winter) then the studless ice & snow tires made by Blizzak get an even better rating.
I used the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 last winter and couldn't have been happier. Very controllable in snow conditions: tracking when you wanted, sliding with throttle modulation, and coming back almost on demand. They're also decent on dry pavement. I autocrossed with them once and was only ~3 seconds off the fastest time of the day. If you want any more info on my experience with the Dunlops let me know.

-Paul
Old Nov 3, 2005, 06:09 AM

I got Yokohama iceGuard last winter and they are incredable. I dont see how it would be possible for a tire to perform better.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

i'm planing to buy the pirelli p zero nero M+S. i'd rather have a good-all-around all season tire so i don't have to have 2 sets of tires cluttering up my already very small garage.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

I liked the Conti Extreme Contact tires, but we don't get tons of snow here in Chicago (just friggin cold, brrr), so for the most part the roads stay clear, which is why I didn't go with an all out snow tire. If I was in an area that got more snow, I'd probably go with the Blizzaks.

l8r)
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been shopping snow tires too, as well as pricing them. Nokian tires are freakin expensive! Heard good things about Blizzaks, but also heard they don't last too long. Heard some not so good things about dunlops. Still undecided. Probably going to run some generic Mastercraft Glacier Grips. Everyone in Truckee is running them, and seem to like them. Plus they're cheap.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

i wanted some Nokian RSi's but $$$. so im cheap and got Hankook Ice Bear W300, more money for burittos and beer @ the lodge. some of the WRX/STi folks on NASIOC recommended them.

they dont feel like poo on the dry stuff, good enough for me to say screw it and leave them on thru the season. no lip protectors...looks weird. very sure footed in the fresh snow and the hardpack. wanders in the slush but not real bad, very steerable. good grip thru corners. stops on a dime...(NO ABS). i would say good deal for 108 a tire.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

I have the Blizzak WS-50 and it is by far the best tire I have driven in the snow. Kind of loud at highway speeds when it's dry and feel kind of sloppy when there is no snow, but can't be beat for really bad weather. Highly recommended.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

yeah it looks like I'm stuck between the WS-50 from Blizzak and the Dunlop Winter Sport M3

The Blizzaks look like they were built for bad weather since they are catagorized as a "studless snow tire" but the Dunlops kill it in almost EVERY other catagory which is hard to believe
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I using the dunlop graspic ds-2 and I had no problem last winter with them. They make the evo handle like a SUV though. The side walls are like a sponge. They are similar to the ws-50. If I had to do it over again I would go with bizzak lm-22s.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Graspic+DS-2

Last edited by evo 8 ya; Nov 8, 2005 at 08:56 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

do you guys put the snow tires on your stock rims, or do you buy a second set of rims then just swap wheels in the spring time?

Quick Reply: What is the best tire for winter driving?