Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Which Coilovers Should I Get?
A'PEXi N1 PRO
5.13%
Buddy Club Racing Spec
15.38%
HKS Hypermax RS
6.41%
HKS Hypermax II
3.85%
Tein Flex
30.77%
Tein RA
2.56%
Tein HT
3.85%
TODA Racing Fightex Type FS
2.56%
Cusco Zero 2
5.13%
JIC FLT-A2
24.36%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

which coilovers should i get?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2005, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anybody have any info about the mueller buddy clubs? or the tein HT's? also, to the JIC FLT-A2 owners, do you use them on the track alot? how are they?
Old Dec 2, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
anybody have any info about the mueller buddy clubs? or the tein HT's? also, to the JIC FLT-A2 owners, do you use them on the track alot? how are they?
Here's a review of the buddy clubs.

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6736
Old Dec 2, 2005, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

I am partial to the Teins. I had a set of Tein SS coilovers on my old Lancer and loved them.
When the funds are available I will be getting the Type Flex w/ EDFC. I have driven 2 Evos w/ that setup and the ride is from another world. If you want a well priced racing suspension get the Tein Flex w/ DFC, you will not be dissapointed. Oh, both cars race in the SCCA and are daily driven. Excellent coilovers PERIOD.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo442
Here's a review of the buddy clubs.

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6736
thanks for the help. I'm not really looking for opinions. I'm technical specs on the coilovers, and differences (if any) between the "muellerized" buddy club coilovers, and buddy club racing spec coilovers.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1sweetoz
I am partial to the Teins. I had a set of Tein SS coilovers on my old Lancer and loved them.
When the funds are available I will be getting the Type Flex w/ EDFC. I have driven 2 Evos w/ that setup and the ride is from another world. If you want a well priced racing suspension get the Tein Flex w/ DFC, you will not be dissapointed. Oh, both cars race in the SCCA and are daily driven. Excellent coilovers PERIOD.
yeah i like tein alot myself. my brother is going with the Tein SS on his 05 Lancer RA. if i go with tein though, it'll be the Type HT, not the flex. have any experience with those?
Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

alright i've weighed the options and i'm going with the buddy club racing spec dampers!!!! highest spring rates (besides the HT's) and they've got all the options i want.... i really like the APEX N1's but i think i'm gonna get the buddy's...now...anybody know the cheapest place to order them?
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

oh, and as soon as i get these coilovers (which will be within the week more than likely) my MR suspension (shocks, springs) will be for sale. 3300 miles on the car right now. if anybody's interested, let me know.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

There is alot of variables here you aren't considering. One, if you run a street tire and a less than aggressive alignment (2.5+ in front 1.3+ in rear), you are not going to get any more performance out of a setup Buddy Club than Flexs.

If I were you, I would look at a good matched setup, if you really want a 'great' handling car. For the street, 10k springs are about all you can really use with a street tire. On track, well that is different, R compounds could justify a more stiff setup, say a 12k or even more for a slick.

On my track Evo, I have a set of flexs with custom springs (the flex is actually dampened for 8k-12k) depending on what tires I am going to run. Last season, I ran 10k all around all season, and had NO issues with roll etc. I also added sways front and rear, chassis bracing, subframes(welded), and strut-tower bracing.

What I am getting at is this. Doing stiff coil-overs is like adding a huge turbo, with no supporting mods. Yes, you will get some benefit, but no where near what you would get from a good matched setup with a smaller turbo and supporting mods.

Spring rate is a small factor in your decision. I would be very weary to even remove the MR setup, because there are some folks who have already designed a spring to lower the car, which is matched to the dampening of the stock setup. Then you add sway bars and bracing, and I guarantee it will be more car than your tires can hold (120+ treadwear).

Also, plan on getting the thing corner-weighted, without it, coil-overs will actually make your car handle worse (MR only).

Below is some vids from Rockingham of my Evo, on OLD street tires for the final dial in session of the year. I am racing time trials next year.
OpenTrack Videos of Evo

Last edited by Stop&TurnFreak; Dec 4, 2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak
There is alot of variables here you aren't considering. One, if you run a street tire and a less than aggressive alignment (2.5+ in front 1.3+ in rear), you are not going to get any more performance out of a setup Buddy Club than Flexs.

If I were you, I would look at a good matched setup, if you really want a 'great' handling car. For the street, 10k springs are about all you can really use with a street tire. On track, well that is different, R compounds could justify a more stiff setup, say a 12k or even more for a slick.

On my track Evo, I have a set of flexs with custom springs (the flex is actually dampened for 8k-12k) depending on what tires I am going to run. Last season, I ran 10k all around all season, and had NO issues with roll etc. I also added sways front and rear, chassis bracing, subframes(welded), and strut-tower bracing.

What I am getting at is this. Doing stiff coil-overs is like adding a huge turbo, with no supporting mods. Yes, you will get some benefit, but no where near what you would get from a good matched setup with a smaller turbo and supporting mods.

Spring rate is a small factor in your decision. I would be very weary to even remove the MR setup, because there are some folks who have already designed a spring to lower the car, which is matched to the dampening of the stock setup. Then you add sway bars and bracing, and I guarantee it will be more car than your tires can hold (120+ treadwear).

Also, plan on getting the thing corner-weighted, without it, coil-overs will actually make your car handle worse (MR only).

Below is some vids from Rockingham of my Evo, on OLD street tires for the final dial in session of the year. I am racing time trials next year.
OpenTrack Videos of Evo
one time for the house: DUH. i don't remember saying i was stopping at coilovers. they are just the first step. next come the chassis, and strut braces, along with sways. i've had experience with suspension. my honda accord is sitting on coilovers, braces, and sways right now. it's also sitting on an undefeated record in autoX, and road course events. i just need a car with more power to go after the big fish now, like the other EVO's. I plan to run just regular old street tires. when i get the advan rims, i'm going with falken RT-615's more than likely, and i may slap a set of advan AO48's on the stock wheels for track day. still kicking that idea around. hell i may slap AO48's on the advan wheels. i don't know yet. i'm going with the buddy clubs because i like the construction, the adjustability, the spring rate, everything. next big thing on the list will probably be wheels and tires, and the bracing stuff along the way because that stuff isn't very expensive. then cf hood, trunk, and power mods.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

now does anybody know the best place to get the buddy's from?
Old Dec 4, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Good, most folks here stop at coil-overs, as if it is a band-aid. Glad to hear you have a good concept of what it is going to take. Stay away from the 615's for track days, after 5 or 6 heat cycles grip drops 10-15%, which equates to almost one second per lap at some tracks.

I wouldn't worry much about bracing, but I would definitely hit the swaybars first. I couldn't tell much help from the bracing, until you go lower on the treadwear (eg 615's or 215s). As for the Advans, they are awesome, I would love to get another set, but I am going another way right now due to sponsors and testing for some tire companies.

As for where to get the clubs from, I would recommend Mueller or AMS have some available. However, I think Mueller has different setups you can get, depending on how you plan on using the car, and what support mods you have.

Last edited by Stop&TurnFreak; Dec 4, 2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

i dont really care where i get the coilovers from, i just want the lowest price. it's all the same coilover, so the place that has the lowest price is where i'll buy.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

so far the lowest price i've found is 1637....any place cheaper? the BC's do have camber plates huh?
Old Dec 4, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, they do, and they are a great unit. I worked with some friends who use this setup.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

well holy monkey ***.... 1555.00 and free shipping!!!! anybody know anything about Hopup racing? good place to order from?

Last edited by ODUB; Dec 4, 2005 at 07:17 PM.

Quick Reply: which coilovers should i get?