Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Free play in Brake Pedal???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free play in Brake Pedal???

I recently installed new brake pads at all four corners and did not touch the brake lines or did any bleeding.

the install went well, lubed everything up and used both shims (metal and plastic one from the OEM brembos).

My question is after I double checked everything and started driving, there is now a lot of free play in the brake pedal. The car stops great and there are is no spongy feeling in the pedal but there is just a lot of free movement.

What could this be? I doubt if its air in the lines because i never touched the lines or bled anything. It just changed after the pad install. There is no spongy feeling.

any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I just changed my brake pads...one question, how'd you get the new pads on the rotors without pushing in the piston(s)? You definitely need to bleed... Loosen both front (or all four in your case) bleeders and push down the brake pedal 10 times and on the tenth hold down the pedal to the floor while someone else tightens back up the four bleeders. Works like a charm with someone helping...
Old Dec 5, 2005, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
Well, I just changed my brake pads...one question, how'd you get the new pads on the rotors without pushing in the piston(s)? You definitely need to bleed... Loosen both front (or all four in your case) bleeders and push down the brake pedal 10 times and on the tenth hold down the pedal to the floor while someone else tightens back up the four bleeders. Works like a charm with someone helping...
pistons were pushed in by hand, very slowly, one side at a time. Would this induce air into the system?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Try bleeding the brakes first. Or maybe your Master cylinder is developing a small leak.