Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Megan Racing Nay or Yay

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2006, 09:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by masubievo8
megan racing products suck... they are all made in taiwan and they have no r&d. if you see them selling on ebay... you know what the quality is. i was thinking about getting the megan ones but.. i love my car too much and i couldnt give her anything cheap.. so i got the tein ones.. well worth the extra money.. just my opinion and a word of advise... cheap isnt always better
Again, shut up and keep your "advise" to yourself if you've never had any experience or used their products.

I personally know the research and dev guy at MR and I can tell you that they put a hell of a lot of work behind thier products (exhausts mainly) but these coil overs seem to be out of hte same factory as the rebranded apexi, d2's, and tiens.

I have them on my DSM and they ride much nicer than my Tokico Illuminas on Eibach Pro-Kits, plus the 32 way adjustability and the pillowball camber adjustability on the EVO's make it a great bang for the buck.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 02:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There will be several more reviews on the Megan Coilovers to go with the above links. Several more sets have been ordered and deliverd now that they are back in stock. As to the statements by those who do not even own Evo Megan Coilovers, well, they don't have a set to compare now do they?
Old Jan 21, 2006, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

For future reference: while first-hand experience is generally the best way to learn about a product, its not always the case. A good example is coilovers. Most people's experiences with coilovers involve daily driving, while only a small percentage do any sort of serious racing, and an even smaller percentage of those people are skilled/consistent enough drivers to notice an improvement or decline in the performance of their car due to a change in their suspension (be it a different damping level, spring rate, or whole new coilover setup).
In which case, other consumers should take this sort of first-hand experience with a grain of salt. Everyone will say that their car "handles like its on rails" and "takes corners much more quickly" and "has almost no body roll" after they put in stiffer springs, because thats exactly what a stiffer spring will do for you. What these statements often don't take into account is how the setup handles other things like extended use in high-stress situations (the oil's loss of efficiency due to heat buildup), low and high speed damping (which you're not going to see in daily driving unless you're driving like an *** on public roads), long term durability of components and overall construction (aeration of oil, breakdown of bushings, sagging of springs, flexing of shims), among other things.
That being said, there are other ways to find the answer approximate answers to these questions without listening to others' expereinces or trying the product yourself. This includes asking the manufacturer questions about design and materials used and analyzing dyno charts. The former will give you a rough idea of how much the manufacturer knows about their product and its research and design, and the latter how the coilover should perform under given situations.
This isn't to say that first-hand experience is useless or should be disregarded, but it shouldn't be taken as fact and should not be solely relied on for answers.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 06:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

So are you wanting dynos to stop indirectly bashing Megan, or is it just a basic marketing ploy?

Of course there are better products out there... but it's kind of like small town average Joe owner having a 500whp Evo. 90% of Evo owners will rarely have the safe opportunity to exploit that kind of power on the street. Of course you say... however, 90% of Evo owners will never see more than a 1/4 mile strip. In their case, Motons or the like would be horrible overkill, and in my opinion a waste of money. So, now with that in mind, the subjective review becomes so much more relative to those only competing in the occasional auto cross, an annual track day, or average Joe driving to and from work/school everyday. To dish out over $1k for a suspension that is more likely to encounter a Ferrari on the way to work, than every other weekend on the track is a travesty to most. It looks like your products will be more in direct competition with Megan's race coilsovers due out in a few months. Then I could see more of a pissing match... if your prices come down.

Last edited by Zeus; Jan 22, 2006 at 06:59 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Its marketing. I provide dynos for people who are interested in our coilovers, for those who would otherwise not be interested in our coilovers, and for others who's only interest is to learn.
I see what you are saying about the usefulness of subjective reviews relative to the majority of the market. I'm not denying that they are useful, but they don't take into account other things besides performance that people should be looking for in a coilover. Something like durability won't be explained in most reviews simply due to the fact that it takes months or years for durability issues to reveal themselves. This is another reason that it is helpful to do some research on your own. People buy coilovers for ride quality too, a very subjective category that varies widely from person to person. So you can only count on the other guy's opinion so much. At some point, it will be more useful to look at the dyno plot and see how a coilover's damping will perform.
This entire market is a giant pissing match. The only thing is that winning is based on some largely misunderstood factors, such as the unit's "look and feel", xx-"ways" of adjustment, price tag, and whether or not it has pillowball upper mounts. I am not here to bash, or to tell others how to do their marketing or run their business or how to design their products at all, its not my place. However I think it *is* my responsibility (and others' as well) to provide at least the information to choose the best product for their applications, if only the information regarding their own product.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No I do not sell these, nor can I get them, But I have heard good things about D2 racing coilovers. If your looking for a cheap alternative, you may want to check them out. Im sure a dealer would move a set or 2 to get more of a response out there (which would further increase their sales)
Old Jan 22, 2006, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are alot of good products out there, and most are more than adequate for the daily drive to work. For those looking at coil-overs, be honest with yourself, why pay 5000 for a set of coil-overs when all your going to do is drive to work?