Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Steering wheel shaking

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2005, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel shaking

I have 18" Volks CE28n on my Evo. Recently my steering wheel shakes when I hit a certain speed on the freeway. I got the alignment check and it was fine. Then I got the tires balance check twice and it was fine. I put back my stock Enkeis and no shake at all at whatever speed. I drive my Evo just on the weeked since I commute to work and use my Civic. Some say that my Toyos T1-s could be getting a flat spot since I don't drive it that much. What do you guys think? Any suggestions. I live in the Westcoast and bought the tires/wheel package from the eastcoast so getting the tires returned would be a b*tch.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's hard to accept that the balance is good if you are getting a shimmy like that... There is probably something wrong with one or more of the tires. Toyo offers a very strong warranty. Maybe you could take them to a local dealer?
I guess it's possible that the tires or wheels might be out of round slightly, but it that was the case, the sahking would bev there all the time.....
Old Dec 14, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
It's hard to accept that the balance is good if you are getting a shimmy like that... There is probably something wrong with one or more of the tires. Toyo offers a very strong warranty. Maybe you could take them to a local dealer?
I guess it's possible that the tires or wheels might be out of round slightly, but it that was the case, the sahking would bev there all the time.....

+1

Same thing i thought. Its def. not that the tires or wheel are out of round, because he'd feel the shaky, lumpyness throughout the speedometer.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe you need hub rings?
Old Dec 14, 2005, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmi11
+1

Same thing i thought. Its def. not that the tires or wheel are out of round, because he'd feel the shaky, lumpyness throughout the speedometer.
I might be mistaken but I don't think the speedometer would be affected by out of roundness..... The only times I've seen the speedo shake was when I had the SAFCII and when I had the AEM EMS. The ECU sends some kind of electronic signal to the speedo and not a direct mechanical input like it used to be in the old days.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Are you running any kind of wheel spacers?
Old Dec 15, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Had the same prob...only at around 72-75 mph...it was a wheel out of balance and bad alignment. I would go to another shop and get them to rebalance the wheels.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

I have the hubcentric rings on and not just one rim is causing the shake. When I rotated the wheels (front to back) it was worst. I could understand if one tire is bad, but all four? I was thinking of having the rim itself (without the tires on) put on the wheel balancing machine to see if my Volks are warped. One shop even said that he noticed that the tire itself was not square. He can see that there was a little "bump" on the surface. I wonder if I take the car to the track, that if would even out the wear. Keep you guys updated.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ex-honda
I have the hubcentric rings on and not just one rim is causing the shake. When I rotated the wheels (front to back) it was worst. I could understand if one tire is bad, but all four? I was thinking of having the rim itself (without the tires on) put on the wheel balancing machine to see if my Volks are warped. One shop even said that he noticed that the tire itself was not square. He can see that there was a little "bump" on the surface. I wonder if I take the car to the track, that if would even out the wear. Keep you guys updated.
I think your tire/wheel balance is off.... I'd take it to another shop and have them re-balanced. That will probably end your problems... Oh yeah, it's very possible that all 4 tires are badly out of round.... It's been know to happen. Actually, back in the old days it was very common to have the tires shaved to make them round before balancing......
Old Dec 17, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same problem at around 65 mph. I had my Bfg KD's road force balanced twice and it still does it. I had a race alignment done, handles great but still shakes a little. Who knows?
Old Dec 17, 2005, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

First try 1 or 2 psi increase and see if that helps. If that doesn't help look in the phone book for tire shops. Call around to discover if there are any tire shops in your area that can "shave" the tires so that they are perfectly round. It is kind of like a lathe, only for tires. It is actually called a tire "siping" machine (sounds like "pipe", only "sipe"). These were often used 15 to 20 years ago, but the tire technology is much better now and they are not so prevalent. Another thing to consider is that the cold temperatures will cause a tire to take a set (flat spot) for quite awhile until the tire is driven at highway speeds for 10 miles or more until it's "heated up" to return to its normal roundness. High performance tires are notorious for this condition and some will even exhibit this trait in the Summer after being parked for a few days. Good Luck and let us know what you discover.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Stangar
First try 1 or 2 psi increase and see if that helps. If that doesn't help look in the phone book for tire shops. Call around to discover if there are any tire shops in your area that can "shave" the tires so that they are perfectly round. It is kind of like a lathe, only for tires. It is actually called a tire "siping" machine (sounds like "pipe", only "sipe"). These were often used 15 to 20 years ago, but the tire technology is much better now and they are not so prevalent. Another thing to consider is that the cold temperatures will cause a tire to take a set (flat spot) for quite awhile until the tire is driven at highway speeds for 10 miles or more until it's "heated up" to return to its normal roundness. High performance tires are notorious for this condition and some will even exhibit this trait in the Summer after being parked for a few days. Good Luck and let us know what you discover.
By the way, perfect balancing will not compensate for the tire being "out of round" and that in some way is where the shake is coming from.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

There is a possibility that you have bent your Volks. While they can balance this out, it will still be off-round so it will vibrate a bit.

Try swapping them around. If the vibration goes away when the ones currently at the front are in the back then you at least know where your problem lies.

Also, most places don't calibrate their balancing machine often enough, so try checking the balance at another place...