Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

help!! changed rotors and pads and now Im getting some nasty sounds...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help!! changed rotors and pads and now Im getting some nasty sounds...

Help! I changed out my rotors and pads and I must say it has been a very interesting experience.

One problem am having now though is once the car seemed ready to go, I took it for a test drive/break-in for the rotors and pads. At highway speeds, I noticed the passenger rear was very loud. Once I hit local roads with slower speeds, I heard what sounded like metal on metal coming from the passenger rear. So I headed head, jacked up the rear, and proceeded to check everything once again.

Everything looked ok. The pads, and rotor look ok. So I proceeded to take off the rotor to get a better look at the back of the rotor. Once off, I noticed that there were two "nails" with what looked like arrow heads dangling. Not good. I bring up that pooint to a friend of mine that had helped me with the rotors and pads and had actually put that side back together. He said he had no clue, but he checked his area where the tools and old parts were, and we found some metal circular clips that looked like they hold the "nail with the arrow heads one place on the drums.
So I slid the clips onto the nails and it held the arrowheads in place.

I put everything back together and went for a test spin. The first minute seemed nice and quiet, and I was happy till the dreaded clunkingm clakity clack noise started coming from the right rear. Its 2am, and I have to be out of the house at 8 am and Im stuck wondering how to get my evo running right.

Does anyone have any idea how I can resolve this issue? Maybe a diagram of the ebrake, or some experience with the evos handbrake. It is frustrating to say the least.

Kenny
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you talking about the cotter pin that holds the axle nut in place? If not, maybe you should post some pics. Or better yet read thru a guide detailing brake changing. This guide has some good pics you may be able to refer to.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ighlight=rotor
Old Dec 21, 2005, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found the problem...its the holding pin, spring and plate that were dangling.

This happend when the e-brake wasnt put down, and we were trying to take out the rotor with the screws. Its a pain in the ***, but lesson learned.....besides the fact that its very tough to take out the rotor with the handbrake on, it can also cause more headache and problems.

Kenny