Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Zeals function v6 vs. Function X

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeals function v6 vs. Function X

This was covered already but I need more info. I am already set on getting the function x but I am having second thoughts.

These are the things I am worried about. It might not be a big deal but it's making me really indecisive.

1. 30way adjustable might get confusing switching from street to track use.
2. I have to drive my car everyday, so the function x might be too stiff.
3. I will be going to track 1-2 times every two months (if I am lucky).
4. I sometimes will haul 3+ people in the car.

I really got a good deal on the Function X (used never been track was on a demo car) but if I decide to go with the V6 I will have to spend 300 more (new).. This $300 could be for a new swaybar..

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

From what you say about track days, confusing adjustablity and people moving, you might be more happy with the V6. The function XS replaced the V6 from everthing I've read. I like the idea of the 6-way adj. on the V6/XS, just keeps it simple. Some of the V6's had X-Coils, at least a few did that were for sale in the fall. V6 had a few options like basic spring or the swift springs with higher spring rates, dont know if they were valved different.

I'm going to go with Function XS, as i wanted the V6 prior to it being discontinued.

You could always call gruppe-s they seem pretty smart with zeal. Everything I know is from reviews and specs.

this is straight from http://www.endlessusa.com/

ZEAL Function-X Coilover
For the next generation hard user, we’ve developed the Function-X Series. The Function-X is now born. With advanced damping capabilities in effect, our efforts have recently focused towards our new “X-Coil Hyper Spring”. Through consistent and progressive research and experience, we’ve improved spring quality to achieve an even smoother and more responsive feel and ride. The ability to grasp precise road data has improved. The X-Coil spring achieves exactly this. Our Dynamometer Data proves this with stable rebound and compression levels (within a 0.1 Meter Per Second range) for level travel at very low speeds, very high speeds, and everything in between. By keeping very detailed, precision spring motion in mind, we are able to set the shock’s piston valving to superior levels. The combination of the shock and spring is superior. Our Linear Spring Motion with no Friction Loss is superior and the shock can be adjusted very precisely (Function-X includes 30-Way Damping Adjustability), thus the setting levels have broadened and can be fine-tuned with advanced precision and feel. Lightweight aluminum upper mounts, spring seat preload and spring seat locks, height-adjustable lower brackets and lock seats (for non-strut type applications) include a durable, Alumite finish for rust proof characteristics. Steel shell casing includes a special plating for rust proof characteristics also. Adjustable brackets are newly designed and slender. Driving feel is amazing for the hard-user. MacPherson Strut-Type systems are specifically produced as an inverted-monotube type.

ZEAL Function-V6 Coilover
This steel-type, inverted-monotube type shock absorber is produced for specific vehicles with strut-type suspension. The shock absorber for this type of set up takes great abuse, thus side load attributes must be strengthened. An inverted monotube with a Friction-Loss Cylinder was developed for this matter. While using the Function Series' technology, we've produced the new Zeal model for high performance driving. The nitrogen gas camber is positioned higher up and farther away from the braking area creating less heat transfer and thus, less chance for overheating. Also, under-spring weight is now lighter enabling handling to become sharper, quicker, and more responsive. Our easy-to-read and use, 6-Way Piston Valve Shock (PVS) Dial mechanism adjusts the rebound/compression force with its Piston Valve Shock Technology, Level 1 being the softest and Level 6 being the stiffest. Dial can be turned either direction infinitely. Pillow Ball camber adjustable upper mounts for direct feel of suspension motion help to decrease piston rod tension. ID60 Basic Spring (Street or Hard rates) maintains stroke and ensures a "seated" fit with upper and lower portions processed to a flat cut. The Adjustable Shock-Stroke System is a separate, adjustable lower cup/bracket used for height adjustability which eliminates problem of sacrificing stroke and altering spring tension. Spin the mechanism over the threaded shock casing up to lower (and down to raise) vehicle height. All Zeal Function Series systems include this height-adjustable system.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info, I wonder why it was discontinued.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo637
thanks for the info, I wonder why it was discontinued.
just phased out i think. no bad reasons just time for an update.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

I was wondering why everyone was selling these coilovers for 1800. I found out too late and I wasn't able to get one.

If it between X and the XS. I would probably get the function X, because isn't the XS a street only setup. I was talking with kirk at works and they're not even selling these coilovers anymore because the lack in performance.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

If you are talking about the used Function X's at Works, I'd get them over the V6's. Function X would probably serve you a little better at the track. If I recall correctly, the valving in the Function X's are set up to accomodate stiffer springs than the V6's.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:06 AM
Account Disabled

The V6 are not longer made nor offered - they were replaced by the Function Xs

The Xs is not a street only coilover - anyone who states as such is not well versed in the product quite honestly. Do some searches, you'll find quite a few people running the Xs for mixed use (street and track). Some using default spring rates, some using alternate spring rates
Old Jan 1, 2006, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
The V6 are not longer made nor offered - they were replaced by the Function Xs

The Xs is not a street only coilover - anyone who states as such is not well versed in the product quite honestly. Do some searches, you'll find quite a few people running the Xs for mixed use (street and track). Some using default spring rates, some using alternate spring rates
Is the valving different in the Function Xs vs the Function X?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 02:33 PM
Account Disabled

yes it is - it is more aggressively set in the X

If you want a customizable setup at the outset (ie you set spring rates, compression and rebound rates), then the Function X can be ordered that way. The Xs is more of an out of the box type setup that works well in a variety of conditions