Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front tires balding unevenly

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike@Forge
Try the Falken Azenis RT-615's.
Those hurt if you drive daily on them. The stiff sidewall is great for performance but gives a rough ride.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement tires for evo

I just had a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport PSII's in the stock size installed on my GSR. Cost $780 including shipping from Tire Rack. Installation was $80 for all four at a local shop. They have a wear rating of 220 vs the 160 on the stock Advan A046's. There is virtually no tire noise as is the case of the "roaring" Advans. This is a very nice aspect of these tires versus the Advans. Can't give you any grip information as it would be anecdotal without instrumented comparisons. I am pleased. Track time in March will help me understand the comparison vs the Advans in terms of track grip.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
Those hurt if you drive daily on them. The stiff sidewall is great for performance but gives a rough ride.
I think they ride quite nicely in fact and drive on them daily. My only complaint is that they're heavy. My 245/40/18's weighed in at 27 lbs each without wheels.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CeeNiK
I'm having a problem...I purchased a brand new evo back in september and now 3K miles later BOTH front tires have worn out pretty bad. The inner side of my front driverside tire is balding at a faster pace (car pulls to the right a LITTLE when i drive), it barley has any thread left.

I'm pretty sure I have an alignment problem so I guess I'm going to take it to the dealer to be serviced and so they could check out my tires.

Has anyone experienced this? would they even consider paying for new tires??
Gee, I know the Advans are really soft, but balding at 3K miles and uneven wear sounds like a pretty bad factory alignment to me. Personally, I would take it in, show them the uneven wear, and ask them to check the alignment. If it's off (which it must be), I think they owe you some new tires minus 3K of pro-rated wear (about 1/5 of the value I guess if they are expected to go 15K).

That's just my opinion though, maybe I'm off base ...
Old Jan 6, 2006, 06:37 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

+1 for alignment check.

My fronts are worn pretty badly on the insides but at least mine wear quite evenly between driver and passenger side.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Rotation and Alignment shouldn't be more then $70.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your camber bolt is flipped the wrong way.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
I never trust a factory alignment on any car. Fortunately I am an alignment tech so its easy for me to check and correct. I have seen only one vehicle that had a perfect alignment from the factory and that was my boss' Duramax (right before we lifted it). My EVO was off .5" per side (-1.3 instead of -.8, at least according to factory spec) negative camber in the rear, and the toe was .35* in on the left and .20* on the right. Factory preferred is .10* for comparison. Of course any time you change the back it alters the total thrust angle, but the front was dead on before the rear was corrected. For a 40K car you would think that the dealership would check it before they sold it to avoid disgruntled customers. An odd thing about the front "camber bolts" which arent really like a normal one (variable between a WIDE range) was at the supposed -1.0 mark it was actually -.7 both sides. All measurement was on a new Hunter R811.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

after 9,500 miles
Attached Thumbnails Front tires balding unevenly-1.jpg   Front tires balding unevenly-2.jpg   Front tires balding unevenly-3.jpg   Front tires balding unevenly-4.jpg   Front tires balding unevenly-5.jpg  

Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

edited...couldnt post the other 2 pix

Last edited by AWDTurbo4; Jan 9, 2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Same exact problem here to the T, myne just happend last week with about 12,000 miles. I just put on new tires I'm trying to figure out where to go for the alignment. I know firestone has a lifetime alignment for about 120 bucks. I don't know if that is good or not.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SteveosEvo
I know firestone has a lifetime alignment for about 120 bucks. I don't know if that is good or not.
are there any limits? like once a year or so...
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

No, I purchased this on my civic and went every other oil change. I thought they would get upset coming so many times, but that is what they recommend.

Last edited by SteveosEvo; Jan 9, 2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

in that case i dont think is a bad price at all
Old Jan 9, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I never trust a factory alignment on any car. Fortunately I am an alignment tech so its easy for me to check and correct. I have seen only one vehicle that had a perfect alignment from the factory and that was my boss' Duramax (right before we lifted it). My EVO was off .5" per side (-1.3 instead of -.8, at least according to factory spec) negative camber in the rear, and the toe was .35* in on the left and .20* on the right. Factory preferred is .10* for comparison. Of course any time you change the back it alters the total thrust angle, but the front was dead on before the rear was corrected. For a 40K car you would think that the dealership would check it before they sold it to avoid disgruntled customers. An odd thing about the front "camber bolts" which arent really like a normal one (variable between a WIDE range) was at the supposed -1.0 mark it was actually -.7 both sides. All measurement was on a new Hunter R811.
Sweet info, how are your tires wearing after you corrected the alignment.