Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

New Tires for the beast!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tires for the beast!

Well guys, it looks like that time again. No, not brakes, clutch, TC or any of the other stuff that can chew up your wallet, but Tires!

I am thinking of getting the Bridgestone Potenza RE750 for my next set of tires. Anyone had good luck with these? I am looking at tread wear and price as the top two reasons for getting these. At $160 each I think they would be better than my second choice which would be the S-03 Pole Position.

Any feedback would be great as I have a few months left till I take off my snow tires. 2 summer sets and a winter set seems to work out nice in my book.

-E
Old Jan 18, 2006, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great practical performance based tire you can drive every day. The ride is good, its not that loud, should wear really well, and can handle a beating if pushed. One of the top tires in its class and for good reason. Everyone I've sold them too really enjoys the performance.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

This is not a tire rack plug but they do decent tire comparisons and tests with owner feedback. If you have not seen their data you should look their first. Their info is not totally conclusive but it’s a decent start. It’s a lot better info then what you will read here from people replacing their old worn out tire "brand X" with the brand new tire "brand Y".
Old Jan 18, 2006, 05:20 PM
Account Disabled

falken azenis RT-615.

best tire in the market, right now.

period.

Yoko - ES100 is ok on the budget.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:20 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure if it was due the sidewall stiffness or tread squirm, but when I drove the 750 and BFG KDWII back to back on the same car I noticed the BFG had much better steering feedback. I know the 750 sidewall is softer for sure (note that doesn't mean *soft* more like middle of the range for sidewall stiffness) compared to the BFG, the upside of that is that the ride will be smoother.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

TurboErik, why would you say they're better than the S-03? It's just them I'm about to get a set of S-03 that's all. {I can change if I want. It's a complicated story but i am getting a free set of tyres as long as they're bridgestope}

Neal@tirerack, can you shed some light on how the two compare? Which bridgestone would you recommend, cost no object, for agressive street driving. And it rains here every now and again. Re010R, 050, S-03 or 750?

I apologize in advance for the slight hijacking...
Old Jan 19, 2006, 01:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by forbidden color
falken azenis RT-615.

best tire in the market, right now.

period
Why?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 01:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NDgsx
I'm not sure if it was due the sidewall stiffness or tread squirm, but when I drove the 750 and BFG KDWII back to back on the same car I noticed the BFG had much better steering feedback. I know the 750 sidewall is softer for sure (note that doesn't mean *soft* more like middle of the range for sidewall stiffness) compared to the BFG, the upside of that is that the ride will be smoother.
When you drove these back to back did you use the same car?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 01:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sponge bob
When you drove these back to back did you use the same car?

I'm blind, yes you did!
Old Jan 19, 2006, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sponge bob
I'm blind, yes you did!
Haha yeah you are It was 225/40R18s on IS300s with good ol RPM2s like you had on the talon.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:29 AM

Price

Originally Posted by x838nwy
TurboErik, why would you say they're better than the S-03? It's just them I'm about to get a set of S-03 that's all. {I can change if I want. It's a complicated story but i am getting a free set of tyres as long as they're bridgestope}

Neal@tirerack, can you shed some light on how the two compare? Which bridgestone would you recommend, cost no object, for agressive street driving. And it rains here every now and again. Re010R, 050, S-03 or 750?

I apologize in advance for the slight hijacking...
I think I liked the otherones better for price and tread pattern. I have three sets of rims so I look at it this way:

Winter

Everyday

Track

I think the S03 is good but I just got some Toyou proxies 4 for my every day. Now that I have them in my shop, I should have got the falken azenis RT-615.

falken makes a great tire and www.edgeracing.com is a great place to get them!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

ahh... you lucky man...
I only have one set, sadly and while it's hot here most of the year, there's 3-4 months when it just doesn't seem to stop raining...
I've been told that Bridgestone will be launching a new high performance tyre soon (within Feb) and so I've opted for those whatever they will be. All I need to do is let them put a set on my evo - i know it's hard - and lend it to them to put on display for a couple of days.

[No, my car's not all that special, well it is to ME. The thing is they want a whole bunch of 'performance cars' on show - Evo's, Sti's, ITR's, S2k's, Skylines etc. They've asked to borrow my S203 also, but the tyres on that are brand new so sadly I declined.]
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:17 AM

nice
Old Feb 3, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For dry traction, I completely agree with what was said about the Falken Azenis. I've used the older model Azenis (which were apparently made of a lesser compound) on my DSM and they felt almost as sticky as my drag slicks. If I drove over any road with any type of loose rocks or sand you could hear all of the little debris sticking to the tires and pelting the inside of the wheel well. They didn't really work well at the strip but I noticed that handling was increased GREATLY!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 03:52 PM

Get the lowest price!

I went back to Town Fair Tire and got over $90 back.

Toyo Proxies 4

-E
Attached Thumbnails New Tires for the beast!-toyo-proxy4.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Tires for the beast!