Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Flipping Tires

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flipping Tires

My stock Advans seem to be completely bald on the very inside line of tread (very good tread everywhere else), I am curious if I can unmount them and remount them the other way, are the tires directional in anyway? Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You don't want them running backward or the tread running the wrong way. However, if you take them off the wheels and remount them in the correct direction for the opposite side of the car that's fine. Just keep an eye on the sidewall mounting directions. There will be a rotational arrow telling you what way to point the tire.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Thats exactly what I was thinking, mostly I would take off one front tire and mount it on the other front rim so the bald spot is on the outside. Is this a good idea or should I just get new tires? Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:39 AM
Former Sponsor

May lose a little wet traction when turning on the balder side, but no other issues than that. Typical scenario for people who have directional tires with limited rotation options.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

As long as I will be safe, I am ok with it. I don't do anything crazy when its raining anyway. Thanks a lot Neal.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Dismount and remount in the same direction. Then get an Alignment, unless you have a different suspension from stock, in which you are running negative camber, than that's why wearing on the inside. I had the same problem w/my stock setup, and Mitsu told me I would have to pay, and it wasn't covered under warranty. 5k miles and it was like a slap in the face. So I had the Volvo dealer I work for do my alignment(no charge) and I did the tires myself. At 7k, I had numerous broken belts in the tires. Mitsu said not covered, and Yokohama said they couldn't prove that I did or didn't race the car, so they said tough. Needless to say with less than 10k I had purchased a different set of tires, Yokohama AVS ES1000's. And they are great even with the Tein suspension I'm running with a -1 degree camber. But that was my issue with the stock tires.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:05 AM

I would definately get an alignment. You probably have some negative toe which will cause the wear you have seen. Many Evos come this way from the factory, and you should have toe as close to zero for street driving as possible.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
May lose a little wet traction when turning on the balder side, but no other issues than that. Typical scenario for people who have directional tires with limited rotation options.
Neal, i've read somewhere that if the tire has very little tread left, having it rotate the wrong way will only impact how it evacuates water from underneath the tire, but will be just fine in the dry. how true/false is that?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

I have the Tein S springs, I did have an alignment done right after they were installed, I just think its funny that my tires can look perfect on all lines except the very inside one. I will be dismounting and remonting them and running for a few months before replacement.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

bald advans stink in the cold. i would spin them more then my all seasons i have now. if you can see the belts get rid of the tires. u don't want to go 100mph on the highway and have something f up.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
bald advans stink in the cold. i would spin them more then my all seasons i have now. if you can see the belts get rid of the tires. u don't want to go 100mph on the highway and have something f up.
brand new advans stink in the cold too i was kicking the back end out when accelerating hard in 1st coming out of parking lots unto highways. car is stock.