Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire Help Please ...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2006, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Help Please ...

What tire would oyu guys reccomend:

The Ecsta MX or the BFG G-Force T/A KDW ? I want the one with the most grip.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 02:35 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Out of those two, the Ecsta MX has more grip.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZK
Out of those two, the Ecsta MX has more grip.

Would you say its a better all around tire?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Everything I've heard about the Kumho's has been positive. Incredible value for the money.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
I dont know about more grip, maybe slightly longer life though. BFG KD's are hard to beat for grip. I personally sell Kumho/Marshal product and I would never run any of it myself.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

I went with the Hankook, they were the cheapest and I have had no problems with them whatsoever.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I dont know about more grip, maybe slightly longer life though. BFG KD's are hard to beat for grip. I personally sell Kumho/Marshal product and I would never run any of it myself.

Y? Why wouldnt you use any of their products?

The problem Im having is I want the most compition like tire possible ... but I'm running 19" wheels and need a 245/35/19 which is only offered in a limited tires
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd use the MX.....actually I do use the MX on my G35 I am very very pleased with the level of grip and response they provide.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

KD's are hard to beat, you are correct.

However, he asked about KDW's.... which are not hard to beat.

MX or KDW? Go with the MX's.....
Old Jan 26, 2006, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

my bad...it does say KDW doesnt it? Of the 2 I stil l would go with something completely different.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

my bad...it does say KDW doesnt it? Of the 2 I stil l would go with something completely different.

Then what would you reccomend?

I HATE and I mean HATE Toyos and Nittos .... they are the worst tires on the market so dont suggest any of those.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Toyos and Nittos are the same parent company, Toyo. I dont like kumho ecstas because: a) I have never gotten good life out of them, b) the seperate before they are worn out almost as bad as entry level Michelins, and c) I dont think they grip well (in my experience).

I have run Toyos (T1R, Proxes 4, and RA1) on my stuff and they work alot better for me. If you dont like em, it sounds like we dislike each others tires for nearly the same reasons. As far as them being the worst tires on the market, being that I sell a BROAD range of tires I can honestly say there are some really poor tires out there and Toyo's arent one of them. Middle of the road to some maybe, but if they were that bad why were they (Toyo T1S) spec tire for the Miata Cup and Speed World Challenge or whatever the name of that series is?

If I had none of the above choices, I would go with Bridgestone S03's (probably #1 choice) or maybe Yoko AVS sports (which I have also had very good luck with). Third choice would probably be Goodyear F1's.

There are lots of options in that size, its just a matter of budget and preference really. I spose if you were only going to choose between those 2 I would use the MX before the KDW (there is also KDW2 which I havent run so I am not sure how well they do).
Old Jan 26, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I have had both toyo T1S and T1R on my nissan 350Z and IS300 ... The grip level on them is awful ... I can easily break the back end lose will little power and even during normal accelerations they get floaty on me. In the wet the are god awful (but I dont really car so much about in the rain as it dosnt rain much in vegas).

I just want a real sticky tire with a non ugly tread on it ... I really like the Advan Neo but they are not offered in 19" eaither are the G-force KDs and a lot of other hi end tires.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

One thing that I have found with toyos is that to get them to "work" you have to really play with alignment settings. It took me (I am an alignment tech so its fast, free, and easy) a month or 2 of fiddling around to find a good setup on my subaru that worked with the grip level of my suspension. I had an S10 G-Machine MANY YEARS ago that achieved 1.01G on Toyo FZ4's. They were also sized HUGE (295-35-18), but they can grip with the right setup.

Too each his own though. You might look into the Bridgestones, they might fit the bill.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have mentioned the RA1, tell me more about this tire...

Quick Reply: Tire Help Please ...