Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Toyo Proxies 4

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2006, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Toyo Proxies 4

Hey guys, I got a set of Toyo proxies 4 and I was on a tight budget. I got them installed on my rims, mounted, balanced and it was $722 out the door. They did it in less than half an hour and did not scratch my rims. Did I buy a decent tire for the price?

Does anyone have any comments about the tires? I have three sets of rims: Full Winter, Track (Advins) and these for every day driving. I would like to get 40K miles from the tire instead of 15 like the Advins.

For everyday driving I will have my 2 year old daughter and a baby along for the ride, so I don't need to have the Advins on. (Extra Careful with the kids in the car)

Did I make a good choice?

Good tires or not?
Attached Thumbnails Toyo Proxies 4-toyo_proxies_4.jpg  
Old Feb 3, 2006, 06:35 AM

I have just recently got a set of proxies 4, and it costed me around $560 for mounting and blancing at Tire Barn. I think you got ripped off pretty bad. You can even order them online for $108 each from edgeracing.

They are pretty good for daily users, the ride is less pumpy and more quiet. They are not bad at corners, but you definetatly can't comepare them with the advans. You made a good choice for daily driving.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

not as good as the factory advan 046 but they are great tires

now..!! $722 i think is way too much.

maybe i got a good deal at the time or maybe they are selling better now but this is what I got a few years ago from the TSW website

18x8 TSW rims, 4 proxies, mounted, balanced, 4 spacers and lugnuts, shipped right to my door for>>>>$875 yup thats right $875

but like i said, they are great tires
Attached Thumbnails Toyo Proxies 4-bug3.bmp.jpg  
Old Feb 3, 2006, 07:41 AM

Westport, CT

Originally Posted by WEVO
I have just recently got a set of proxies 4, and it costed me around $560 for mounting and blancing at Tire Barn. I think you got ripped off pretty bad. You can even order them online for $108 each from edgeracing.

They are pretty good for daily users, the ride is less pumpy and more quiet. They are not bad at corners, but you definetatly can't comepare them with the advans. You made a good choice for daily driving.
Well, I guess being in an expensive part of the country got me bit! I looked again and only paid $711, but it is better than tossing a grand down for advins.

I got them at Town Fair Tire, the are all over here in CT.

Edgeracing looks great, but here they want between $25 - $40 to mount each tire.

Tire wear is important to me becuase who wants to get new tires every year!

The Falken Ziex ZE 512 and Falken Azenis ST115 look nice on Edgeracing.

I wonder what I should get when my other set are gone? (Stock Advins that had to be pluged becuase of nails!) God I hate that!

Thanks for the reply guys!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:14 AM

Exclamation

Boy guys did I wish I had seen that site to get tires from!

http://www.edgeracing.com/2003/Mitsu...tion/tires/17/

The Falken Azenis St115 with a treadwear of 360 looks great for anly 88!

Also the Falken Ziex Ze 512 looks good for under a hundred!

Is this where most people go not to get ripped off?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 01:57 PM
Account Disabled

wow way 2 much
Old Feb 3, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

I got mine for $600 mounted, etc. at STS.

I've had them for 24k and they are still going. I am happy with them. I forgot how good the stock ones were, but these do everything I need them to for the daily grind, w/ a little grip for fun. Fine in the rain, and I've driven w/ some snow on the ground (carefully, but w/ out problems).
Old Feb 3, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Those tires retail for $137.50 each That mneans you paid $172 for installation. Installation should not cost more than $20 per tire.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 02:50 PM

New Price.

Ok guys.

I went back to the store with a chainsaw and a bad temper.

I said give me some money back and there will be no blood and broken bones.

I got it down to $618.62 (includes everything!)

Happy?

-E
Attached Thumbnails Toyo Proxies 4-toyo-proxy-4-4.jpg  
Old Feb 3, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Man, most of local tire places charge way too much for the tires. I was also in need for a set of all-season tires, I went to a local NTB and got quoted for $550 for a set of Falken Ziex ZE-512 and mount&balance. Then, I went on the internet, looking for a better deal and I was able to buy a set of same tires at $350 shipped. Total cost was $440 including mounting the tires. At least, you went back and got your money back
Old Feb 3, 2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by ROK EVO
Man, most of local tire places charge way too much for the tires. I was also in need for a set of all-season tires, I went to a local NTB and got quoted for $550 for a set of Falken Ziex ZE-512 and mount&balance. Then, I went on the internet, looking for a better deal and I was able to buy a set of same tires at $350 shipped. Total cost was $440 including mounting the tires. At least, you went back and got your money back

I am glad that they did it and next time I will get a set of Falken's to replace my advins.

It is nice to have three sets of rims and tires.

-E
Old Feb 19, 2006, 02:12 AM

How do the Falkans handle compared to the Advans? I just replaced my Advans with some Federals and they are less responsive and the ride is softer. I am pissed. The Advans rocked. But they are $244 a piece.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 02:20 AM
Evolved Member

i got Proxies 4 on my car and love them....smooth ride and real quite....descent grip also...but its been cold around here....cant wait till spring to feel it....i got the stock 15s on my Lancer....bought the tyres from RRM at $69+shipping a tire 205/50 R15....and then installed(balanced etc.) at Discount Tire Co. for $420 (for tyres and install total). damn its nice to have 15s...
Old Feb 19, 2006, 02:36 AM
Evolved Member

I'm running my second set of Proxes 4's as my "winter" tire after running Falken RT-615's most of the summer. The Proxes lack the grip of the RTs, but they do much better in the wet of course, and last longer. The tread is a little deep at first, so they feel squirmy initially, but once they wear down to about half tread, the flex is much less evident.

They only last a couple of months for me, but I live in the Appalachian mountains and drive the **** out of them on a weekly basis.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Killboy

They only last a couple of months for me, but I live in the Appalachian mountains and drive the **** out of them on a weekly basis.
The Proxys last your two months..... Unless your doing some serious donuts and tire spinning I highly doubt this.

Quick Reply: Toyo Proxies 4