Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Coilovers For Street/track

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamie@WORKS
does tarzan tune yer kits now? or did he recommend a perfect like setup?
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if its mainly a daily driver, why spend the very high cost on coil-overs that are meant for the track? And if its just a DD, whats wrong with the great stock MR suspension? Or do you just want to spend lots of money to tell people you have X-brand porducts, and I spent more so I'm cooler? You dont HAVE to spend beacoup bucks to get a good ride.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evoPirate
if its mainly a daily driver, why spend the very high cost on coil-overs that are meant for the track? And if its just a DD, whats wrong with the great stock MR suspension? Or do you just want to spend lots of money to tell people you have X-brand porducts, and I spent more so I'm cooler? You dont HAVE to spend beacoup bucks to get a good ride.
You make a pretty good point. I have considered selling my Ohlins for someones MR stock Bilsteins + a little cash.... But the Ohlins' ride is really nice and they freakin' grip like a mo fo over all surfaces.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoPirate
for one... the mr suspension IS BEAUCOUP BUCKS FOR HWAT YOU GET. for two... NO ONE has JUUUUUST a DD or a TRACK monkey, it's ALWAYS a multitasking car. that's why. the point is... you can put pogosticks under yer car if you have a trailor queen, it might run good times, but don't expect to drive on, drive off and drive home, unless you mean driving home in your porsche cayenne that's carrying your trailor ***** in the back.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Just a thought, I bet the dealership would warranty the MR suspension if you let them install it. That alone, could be priceless.

Also, one final note, if you truly want a better handling Evo, stick to the setups, where someone 'presets' the suspension. It took me several track days, and hours in the garage to get the suspension the way I wanted it. After new tweaking the spring rate, and corner-weighting the car, it is finally the way I want. If you don't have access to scales, at the least, I would travel another route for my suspension needs, or stick to a more simple setup.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

what is so great about a stock sus warantee? i know if i ever blew or even broke a damper or a spring i have 10 people i can ask for a cheap complete set of stock suspension...

and it's not as if coilovers bought from the right people don't carry their warrantees also... i don't know of any legit manufacturers that won't stand behind their product.

i mean if you break something by hitting a burm or something they're not gonna warantee that anyhow. i'd say that's a non issue.

i think it's best to buy the "setup" suspensions because even if you have all this adjustability, if the BASE tune is no good... then you're just bandaiding a crappy factory tune (or rather toss together) with those fancy pants adjustments.

case and point, ohlins are great, even the "entry level" ones... but i wouldn't buy off the shelf ones, i'd much rather buy paul's... why? cuz he put in the time to tweak the spring rates. THAT ALONE is better than me messing with the spring rate settings to fix the spring rates that would "appeal to wide range of consumers." EXACT same can be said for john.

these guys put in the time to do the testing so i don't have to buy two sets of springs (or more) tryinna pin the tail on the donkey's ***.

and then damping? i do not have enough parle with ANY sus manufacturer to ask them or then RECOMMEND to them what type and how much valving to put in a damper... so i'd REALLY end up massaging the *** trying to finger my way into the right damper settings.... how many sets of suspension do you wanna buy? i'm sure if yer budget is high enough you can do all the testing and then end up selling your own kits, or just divulging all the suspension number secrets.

Last edited by trinydex; Feb 12, 2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 03:02 AM
Evolving Member

ohlins
Old Feb 12, 2006, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

ive had jic flta2s, and the tein flex. I was very dissapointed with the poor quality of my jics, and the terrible customer support (60 day warranty) One of them started leaking after 2 track events, one of the adjusters broke, and the ride quality was terrible. The tein flex is pretty decent if you just want to drive on the street, but its way too soft for track use. Then i got my vishnu ohlins, and it seems to be the best of both worlds, no body roll, perfect streetability, and excellent track manners.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get some Reiger, i've only heard good things about them, then again for the price they better bloody be good.

Heres some 2nd hand ones:
http://rallycars.info/clas/index.php...tails&id=11497
http://rallycars.info/clas/index.php...tails&id=14959
Old Feb 13, 2006, 09:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cc2
Kw varient 3 with 9Ksprings in front and 8K in the rear. they have seperate
bump and rebound adj. plus are stainless. A 25mm rear sway bar in the rear and
some bushings makes the car.
another awesome choice, and can't be beat for the price.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
for one... the mr suspension IS BEAUCOUP BUCKS FOR HWAT YOU GET. for two... NO ONE has JUUUUUST a DD or a TRACK monkey, it's ALWAYS a multitasking car. that's why. the point is... you can put pogosticks under yer car if you have a trailor queen, it might run good times, but don't expect to drive on, drive off and drive home, unless you mean driving home in your porsche cayenne that's carrying your trailor ***** in the back.
Ummm .... dude, the guy already has a EVO9 MR, it comes with the MR suspension ....
Personally I think the MR bilstein is the best compromise suspension ... it just depends on how much punishment your spine can take.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 05:17 PM
.MM
Evolved Member

thanks for all the replies guys

i called Vishnu and was quoted 3200 for the vishnu ohlins, which is a little more than i wanted to spend, but if it came down to it, and these were the best..i would consider it

im looking strictly for performance, i could care less about the brand name

as long as it is a high quality piece that will last and works wonders for the cars handling

the MR suspension that comes stock is wonderful, but it is too soft and has too much sway and pitch for my taste

i also am looking to lower the car a little for a better roll center of gravity

what are the stock EVO IX MR spring rates? out of curiousity
Old Feb 13, 2006, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Stock(USDM):..........180lbs(3.2k)....225lbs(4.0k) ......STOCK
Shamelessly ripped from here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=66296

I believe Robi of Robispec has the best complete coilover setup for street and track, if money is no object. Check with him also ...
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Zeal V6 have great reviews...
Old Feb 14, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sk8bored
http://www.muellerized.com/products.html
talk to john about your needs and he will sell you just what you need
+1. Track ready suspension with better than stock ride quality. I couldn't believe it until I drove it.

Quick Reply: Best Coilovers For Street/track