Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Coilovers For Street/track

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:54 PM
Ron
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smogrunner
You make a pretty good point. I have considered selling my Ohlins for someones MR stock Bilsteins + a little cash.... But the Ohlins' ride is really nice and they freakin' grip like a mo fo over all surfaces.
Hey Smog, do you have Paul G's revalving or the standard valving? Also, what would switching to the MR setup gain you, if you like the Ohlins. Besides a little $ in your pocket I mean.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 01:28 AM
Evolving Member

Ohlins
Old Feb 16, 2006, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ron
Hey Smog, do you have Paul G's revalving or the standard valving? Also, what would switching to the MR setup gain you, if you like the Ohlins. Besides a little $ in your pocket I mean.
I have my Ohlins boxed up and ready to ship to Vishnu for revalving. Paul, Shiv, Dustin, Asistha and I have been going back and forth trying to figure out the right spring configuration for me. What I would get with the stock MR suspension besides money in my pocket is the nice conservative Bilstein ride.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
but you'll get that with your revalved ohlins
Old Feb 16, 2006, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

if you want a top of the line coilover then you should look at Moton's. The external resevoir is sick.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

From what I can tell about the thread, the DMS 40mm is more suited to what it is being compared against and what would be required from it performance wise. Save the coin by trying these out.

The Ohlins setup is in between the 40mm and the 50mm in terms as price/performance ratio. Very good setup. MOTON is same price as 50mm I believe, but not same type of shock.

Call Beau at SRM tuning, he has some EVO stuff in stock as well as something on a demo car I believe if you wanted to go test it out. If not Robispec can arrange for a test. NILS to.

DMS also have cool top mounts http://www.dmsnorthamerica.com/cgi-b...1&pid=247&a=dc

-mark
Old Mar 15, 2006, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
Tein's entry line are junk. Crappy valving, crappy spring rates. The EDFC is a waste and isn't allowed in any racing events. You can do better for the price.
Im not looking for an amazing coilover, Im just sick and tired of blowing out the stock struts all the time, it gets annoying. I have had the Tein coilovers in everyother car and they hold up really well.

I mostly drag, I dont auto X nor do i plan to,
Im looking for something that will give me a better setup than what i have, i dont want the worst ride in the world, my H tech that i have right now arent that stiff. and i dont mind the ride.

Looking at something kinda around a 1000 i was even considering the Basics or Super Streets
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:29 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evoPirate
if its mainly a daily driver, why spend the very high cost on coil-overs that are meant for the track? And if its just a DD, whats wrong with the great stock MR suspension? Or do you just want to spend lots of money to tell people you have X-brand porducts, and I spent more so I'm cooler? You dont HAVE to spend beacoup bucks to get a good ride.

you can't compare stock MR suspension to the handling and grip of a coilover setup. i've got a IX MR and i cant WAIT to get rid of the stock shocks and springs. i've got Buddy Club Racing Spec coilovers 10k/10k sitting in my living room right now, and going on tomorrow. the stock MR suspension is soft, skips on mid corner bumps, and bump steers...not to mention it sits too high, and allows the car to roll way too much. it's not hard to get a stock MR up on 3 or even 2 wheels...the 3 wheel motion i dont mind much, but getting it up on 2 is no fun.

so by your logic, i guess that's why race teams all over the world run stock MR suspension on their race cars...oh wait, they don't because that would be stupid. the stock suspension is made to be comfortable, and meet US safety requirements and blah blah blah, all the sht nobody that drives an EVO cares about. If you want performance, you ditch the stock stuff and go lower/stiffer.

nobody in their right minds would think of swapping their suspension for the stock MR stuff as a performance upgrade. that's just to say, hey everybody, look what i wasted my money on! if you've got the base EVO suspension, and just like the way the MR rides i could see going to that setup if you can get it cheap. but to actually go out looking for the MR stuff and paying an assload of money (which is what the stuff costs) compared to going with coilovers is just a dumbass idea. but yeah, comparing the stock MR suspension to coilovers is stupid.

Last edited by CG5TougeMaster; Mar 15, 2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:51 PM
Account Disabled

+1^
Old Mar 15, 2006, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spooldyou
Im not looking for an amazing coilover, Im just sick and tired of blowing out the stock struts all the time, it gets annoying. I have had the Tein coilovers in everyother car and they hold up really well.

I mostly drag, I dont auto X nor do i plan to,
Im looking for something that will give me a better setup than what i have, i dont want the worst ride in the world, my H tech that i have right now arent that stiff. and i dont mind the ride.

Looking at something kinda around a 1000 i was even considering the Basics or Super Streets
see... this is one of the few instances where i say... get whatever, get the megan racing or the teins or the whatever ones the cheapest that looks like it'll last a long time. you're just gettin' it for the ride... the poise and not a decrease in handling.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CG5TougeMaster
If you want performance, you ditch the stock stuff and go lower/stiffer.
correction, you go lower, stiffer, more suspension trave, more properly matched damping, more camber, less toe, and most importantly-more tire.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 05:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CG5TougeMaster
you can't compare stock MR suspension to the handling and grip of a coilover setup. i've got a IX MR and i cant WAIT to get rid of the stock shocks and springs. i've got Buddy Club Racing Spec coilovers 10k/10k sitting in my living room right now, and going on tomorrow. the stock MR suspension is soft, skips on mid corner bumps, and bump steers...not to mention it sits too high, and allows the car to roll way too much. it's not hard to get a stock MR up on 3 or even 2 wheels...the 3 wheel motion i dont mind much, but getting it up on 2 is no fun.

so by your logic, i guess that's why race teams all over the world run stock MR suspension on their race cars...oh wait, they don't because that would be stupid. the stock suspension is made to be comfortable, and meet US safety requirements and blah blah blah, all the sht nobody that drives an EVO cares about. If you want performance, you ditch the stock stuff and go lower/stiffer.

nobody in their right minds would think of swapping their suspension for the stock MR stuff as a performance upgrade. that's just to say, hey everybody, look what i wasted my money on! if you've got the base EVO suspension, and just like the way the MR rides i could see going to that setup if you can get it cheap. but to actually go out looking for the MR stuff and paying an assload of money (which is what the stuff costs) compared to going with coilovers is just a dumbass idea. but yeah, comparing the stock MR suspension to coilovers is stupid.
on the other hand...most race teams don't drive their cars on the street...

AND they don't commute to work in their 12k/14k race setups (well at least most of them don't...i'm sure some actually do...)

AND they don't take the lady out to dinner with a slammed, bouncy, lift-throttle oversteering firebreathing EVO monster. Unless she's a reeeeally cool lady.

For the daily driver evo like evopirate was talking about...the MR's stock Bilstein set-up is fantastic. A set of good springs on there and you'll be good to go.

IF you are goin to the track or auto-x or simply want the capability, then by all means, go with coilovers. But it's more important to work on driver skill and be able to extract that extra differnence coilovers provide rather then just throwing money at your car.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Mar 17, 2006 at 07:45 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 07:39 PM
Account Disabled

Slapping springs on an MR does not complete anything. My Mr does a lot of CraZy stuff now with my rear crash beam gone and the lower front end. You have to do more then just springs, maybe a rear sway.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RobDogg
Slapping springs on an MR does not complete anything. My Mr does a lot of CraZy stuff now with my rear crash beam gone and the lower front end.
Hmm... I wonder if lightening the rear and changing the rake had a negative impact on your handling...

I did the WORKS springs, which are designed specifically to preserve the factory rake and not change the weight balance or aerodynamics of the car, and it's very well behaved. Much flatter and much reduced tripodding.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 08:05 PM

Wicked good Ohlins for sale here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184503

Quick Reply: Best Coilovers For Street/track