Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Coilovers For Street/track

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2006, 08:40 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it's an "I told you so" situation. But anyways, they are being replaced w/FLta2's next week
Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

I heard Bilstein PSS9s are the way to go if your evo is daily driven/weekend warrior.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:47 PM
Account Disabled

that would be the way to go, but the Jic 's are going to have to work being as im getting a good deal on some used ones
Old Mar 17, 2006, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

DMS cars just finished top 2 spots in USTCC at Laguna last weekend, have already won outright 4 rallies this year too that I know off.
-mark
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

I have the JIC FLT-A2s that were set up and tuned by John Mueller. Also the adj rear sway bar aswell. I thought it made a huge inpact on the handling of the car. I aligned it myself to Johns specs. I would recommend them to anyone and I have over 22k on them and no problems at all.
AdamR
Old Mar 20, 2006, 08:43 PM

.MM...I was in your EXACT position...and I CURED IT. I sold my modded 49,000 mile 03 Evo XIII for a GG IX MR. I just flushed the cushy, soft, floaty, rolly-polly, stock Bilsteins (great for street drivers that DON'T care about cornering). Please place the most enjoyable call of your life to JOHN MUELLER at ROAD RACE CHASSIS (562-903-1513) in Sante Fe Springs, CA. He WILL NOT steer you wrong. I wanted coilovers that will serve me forever...I wanted Moton Double Adjustables...and I got them...now I will spend the time and money on the driving instruction and track time for me to really use them. Even with my current experience (50,000 Evo miles and six sets of expensive tires) they feel amazing. There is NO GOING BACK...........

Last edited by ranmonbu; Mar 20, 2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
damn... i wish i was working
Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

I just installed the Bilstein PSS9s this week. I set them to 8 (9 being the firmest setting) and they're great on the street. I wanted something with a soft ride and no bounce. Even on bumpy roads the ride is smooth. Much better than stock. I'm going to Spring Mountain this weekend and I'll let you know how they are on the track. I'm assuming that I won't be blown away on the track but I would rather have a daily driver that I love and give up a few seconds per lap on the occasional track day than have to bounce around driving to the grocery store. For $1550 I think the PSS9 offers a soft ride, lowered stance and very high quality.

I considered the KW's but I used those on a race car a few years ago and they proved unreliable. That said, KW was great in replacing many, many blown shocks. I'm also aware that they license a lot of their designs from Koni and have a very high quality manufacturing facility so the problem could have been related to the application.

Ohlins or Motons are also high quality units but they are quite a bit more money. My experience is that the European coils are generally softer than the JDM units I've tested for the Evo. I could be completely wrong but maybe it's because Japan has such smooth roads and Europe has such bumpy roads.

I have no experience with the DMS, but several people are having great results and love them. IMO you shouldn't be spending more than $2K for coils on a car that only cost $30-35K to begin with unless you are a serious track day junkie or racing. That ruled the DMS 50s out for me.

Unfortunately if you're only spending $1000 you're not going to have too many options. IMO the low end Teins ride like a$$. I haven't tried the buddy clubs. For $1000 you may want to buy some springs and call it good.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 09:22 PM

Hey Termsheet, where did you get the pss9s for $1550? That is the cheapest I've seen. I'm looking at options for suspension upgrades, and these coilovers seem like the ones for me. Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

I'll check with my mechanic. He ordered them for me. I think he said they came from a distributor in New Jersey.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:25 PM

Thanks Termsheet...PM me if you want to.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Just need to chime in here, there are several aftermarket suspension systems available in the sub 2000$ category as mentioned above. Trouble is that even though the car may only be 30$k, it is still WAY, WAY too easy to bolt up suspension that actually reduces the overall performance of this car. The EVO is excellent handling as far as OEM setups are and you loose to much in the way of drivability and lap times with many sub 2000$ systems. Not all, but sevral. Be careful guys, cheaper is not always better.

-mark
Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

I highly recommend the KW coilovers.....Robert Fuller installed them on my car last weekend and they are amazing. Will work perfectly for the street or the track in my opinion. I went with custom spring rates instead of the standard 9K/6K setup from KW.....the 6K rear seems too light in my opinion.

Chris
Old Mar 22, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have a direct email for John? I know I could just call but, would like to email him with specification questions that may be easier to answer via email.

I checked his site and the email link was not working.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:11 PM

Hey DMS Mark...So you don't suggest the Bilstein PSS9s? I read good things about them on this forum, but I have never been in a car with them installed. I know ride quality is all about preference, but I need something that soaks up the bumps on a regular road more than I need better lap times. I drive the car every day to work and the roads I am on really suck. It would be ideal to get the best of both worlds, although some say it's not possible. I have not purchased any suspension upgrades as of yet...and I will be careful not to make a wrong decision. But....without experiencing all the choices first hand, there is only one way to get the facts. That is by doing a lot of research and assessing the outcome using other people's opinions. That said, I do not want to downgrade the stock performance for ride quality. I'll live with the stock ride if I am going to degrade the handling of the car. I'ts all about research I guess....

Quick Reply: Best Coilovers For Street/track