Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Looking for black lug nuts...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2006, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Mcguard spline drives and they perform and look great!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by evo77
HUH? It appears that my very specific post wasn't specific enough.

Let me rephrase...

I'm not looking for Rays lugs.
I'm not looking to pay Rays prices ($100 for lug nuts).
I'm not looking for open ended lugs.
I'm not looking for extened lugs.

I AM looking for black lugs that look similar to Rays (or the ones pictured above).
I AM looking for BULDGE lugs not slim.
I AM looking for CLOSED end lugs.
I AM looking for SHORT lugs.
Unless you are cool like me and can what you want at cost, let me tell you that Aluminum=MOney (I pay 2.50 apiece). No way around it, they are expensive. Perhaps I misunderstood when you said you wanted them to look like "the Rays". If you didnt want aluminum but still wanted that bulky look, I understand now.

This goes back to one of my original rants though, we paid 30k+ for an EVO to begin with (if you bought it new), so whats 100 bux?
Old Feb 14, 2006, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Unless you are cool like me and can what you want at cost, let me tell you that Aluminum=MOney (I pay 2.50 apiece). No way around it, they are expensive. Perhaps I misunderstood when you said you wanted them to look like "the Rays". If you didnt want aluminum but still wanted that bulky look, I understand now.

This goes back to one of my original rants though, we paid 30k+ for an EVO to begin with (if you bought it new), so whats 100 bux?

Well in case you haven't noticed, look at my avatar.

And I don't care if someone drives a Ferrari or Lamborghini, price class of a vehicle has nothing to do with what someone should opt to pay for a part. I think its a ignorant perspective and a poor way of spending money wisely. There are some things I choose to pay premium for and others I do not. As a smart shopper one has to justify cost.

However it appears that in my searching I have come up empty with finding another lug that carries the hex shape that the Rays lugs have. The reason I like the Rays lugs is because of its all purpose race look and they match quite well with the all purpose SSR Type C's/Competitions (which are the wheels I'll be receiving soon).
Old Feb 14, 2006, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by evo77
Well in case you haven't noticed, look at my avatar.

And I don't care if someone drives a Ferrari or Lamborghini, price class of a vehicle has nothing to do with what someone should opt to pay for a part. I think its a ignorant perspective and a poor way of spending money wisely. There are some things I choose to pay premium for and others I do not. As a smart shopper one has to justify cost.
I couldnt disagree more. If the only criteria was turbo AWD, I could have kept my WRX, bought an STi, or bought an older Mitsu. If I wanted aluminum lugnuts because of look or the fact that they are lighter, price becomes irrelevant. 100 dollars is only 3 tanks of gas anymore. SRT-4 or not you understood my point, yes?

I mean I understand not wanting to spend 100 dollars on lugnuts, because they are in fact lugnuts. However, if you look at Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Porsche, you would find that THEY DO PAY MORE for parts. Whether they opt to or not, that is reality. We pay more for parts than Honda guys. It is because of the base price of the vehicle, aftermarket manufacturers expect to squeeze more cash out of you because you could afford it in the first place. Trust me, I sell wheels and tires I know exactly how this works. I dont offer entry level tires to someone that drives a car that needs or deserves mid to high level tires.

As a tech note, any painted steel lugnut has about 2 or 3 installs in it before it is all nicked to hell and starts to rust. The Gorilla teflon black tuner lugs seem to be a little better but not much. Any of the anodised look ones are even with the painted steel ones.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
i agree i have them myself
Old Feb 14, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I couldnt disagree more. If the only criteria was turbo AWD, I could have kept my WRX, bought an STi, or bought an older Mitsu. If I wanted aluminum lugnuts because of look or the fact that they are lighter, price becomes irrelevant. 100 dollars is only 3 tanks of gas anymore. SRT-4 or not you understood my point, yes?

I mean I understand not wanting to spend 100 dollars on lugnuts, because they are in fact lugnuts. However, if you look at Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Porsche, you would find that THEY DO PAY MORE for parts. Whether they opt to or not, that is reality. We pay more for parts than Honda guys. It is because of the base price of the vehicle, aftermarket manufacturers expect to squeeze more cash out of you because you could afford it in the first place. Trust me, I sell wheels and tires I know exactly how this works. I dont offer entry level tires to someone that drives a car that needs or deserves mid to high level tires.

As a tech note, any painted steel lugnut has about 2 or 3 installs in it before it is all nicked to hell and starts to rust. The Gorilla teflon black tuner lugs seem to be a little better but not much. Any of the anodised look ones are even with the painted steel ones.
It appears that we agree to disagree.

And you also missed my point. Just because your vehicle falls in a high price bracket DOES NOT mean that you HAVE to buy high priced parts. Especially when that particular part can be had for considerably less, look exactly the same and do exactly what it was intended for, which is probably the most important factor of a purchase. That is where my comment "spending money wisely" comes in. I never said people don't do it. I'm very well aware that they do. My point was that its not necessary.

Old May 26, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo666
i agree i have them myself
Have the McGards peeled or chipped at all?
Old May 26, 2006, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

i bought muteki black closed end lugs from evasive motorsports(spline type) for ssr sp1 black w/ polished lip 47.00 shipped,still waiting for wheels so i dont know how they are going to look but i also have them in chrome from my winter tire wheel package. if i dont like the black ones i,ll just use the chrome from the winter wheels.
Old May 26, 2006, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

We have the McGard SplineDrives in stock. I think those meet your criteria.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
Old May 26, 2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
Me too!!
Old May 26, 2006, 01:48 PM

Check out Kyokugen lugs they come in both open and closed ends in black, and they are 7 sided for security. I bought a set of black open ended for my car about 3 years ago, no chipping or peeling at all

Last edited by JamesonGST; May 26, 2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old May 26, 2006, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo....er=VOLK-W10936
Old May 27, 2006, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by outsider
Have the McGards peeled or chipped at all?
nope they have not peeled or chipped and this is from taken off my rims a couple of times!

here not sure if you can see it too well

Last edited by Evo666; May 27, 2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old May 28, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

they look good, thanks for the pic!