Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Removing the hammer-on wheel weights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2006, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Removing the hammer-on wheel weights?

Okay, is there any way to remove the stock wheel weights on the outside of the Enkeis without scratching them to hell?

I took my car to the dealer to have the wheels rotated / balanced (they seemed nice enough... avoid Gillman Mitsubishi in Houston) and they FUDGED them up, big time.

They say they are going to repair them, but I imagine their repair job is going to be crap. To me, the rims are ruined (I love this car, probably too much).

Is there any way to remove those wheel weights and not scratch the rims? I have a hard time believing that EVERY Evo that rolls off the assembly line is destined to have the rims scratched the first time they are balanced.

Has anyone removed the wheel weights / had them removed without scratching?

(As an aside, anyone know of a reputable rim / tire shop in Houston?)

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by trailmix; Feb 14, 2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 08:53 PM

If you tap on them with a plactic/ rubber hammer thay will loosen up and come off
and not scratch the rims. If the dealer is going to have them repaired thay should look like new. i would have them use a stick-on wheel weight after the repair.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

If your carfull with that special tool there should not be any scratching, they must have been careless!
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:38 PM

Thanks for the replies

That's what I figured. They weren't just being "a little" careless - they royally screwed my rims.

Whenever I walked out to get my car, my eyes fixated on the damage. I'm an Evo freak, what can I say?

At least my service rep, Jose, immediately said "Wow, that... looks like sh*t" as soon as he saw the havoc wreaked upon my rims.

Here is what I think is the cherry-on-top of my experience -

So my car is in for the 15,000 mile service right? (I bet they just changed the oil and bludgeoned my rims... at least, I HOPE they changed the oil!)

That includes rotating the tires. What is (arguably) the most basic aspect of that process? Checking the tire pressure no? Well, I thought about that whenever I was about 50ft. from the service department. I check my tires once a week. I stopped, got out...

~32 rear and ~29 front. Way to go guys, way to go.

Avoid Gillman Southwest Houston, unless your life just doesn't give you enough stupid crap to deal with and you're dying for more.